DuLaze

Default History of the American Sailing Navy - 1949 - Chapelle

The History of the American Sailing Navy
The Ships and their Development
By Howard I. Chapelle
Bonanza Books - New York

Copyright 1949

Hard cover in good condition, slightly soiled, solid binding. There is no dust
cover.

I believe this is a first edition.

558 Pages with 200 plans, half tones and a full color reproduction of a
painting of George C. Wales.

The author presents the full story of the building of our sailing Navy from
colonial times to the time of the last all sailing man-of-war, built just prior
to the Civil War. Design and construction of every kind of ship is fully
detailed. Old classic and one of the best historical accounts of American
Sailing ever published.

Howard I. Chapelle was a naval architect and was recognized as one of America's
leading maritime historians. This volume of nautical lore is the first complete
history ever published of the development of the various types of sailing
vessels and rigs in America from the earliest Colonial craft and including
modern racing and cruising yachts. It is an authoritative account of a vital
phase of our national history, told by a professional naval architect who knows
sailing ships thoroughly. Great for ship enthusiasts, model builders, or naval
history buffs.

On E-Bay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6905749 0
80&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW