Jeff Morris

"gonefishiing" wrote in message
hey i thought the dog thing was a different thread?

speaking of dogs: my daughter lives with me 1/2 time and is hell bent on
getting a dog (13 yo)
found/ keep finding post-its with words related to dogs on them
in the cupboards, on the windows, in the refrig. etc.

you seem to have some knowledge of dogs so here goes:
any idea what kind of dog i can get that can feed itself, go for a walk, and
be left in charge of the office for say a week at a time?

A cat. A week is a long time - we leave our cats for 3-4 days. Longer than
that we have a friend or neighbor drop by just to make sure they didn't lock
themselves in a closet.

If we go sailing for more than about 4 days they come with us.

The dog, however, can't be left unattended for more than 8 hours, and even
that's a stretch.

one that is protective of place and can do something about it would help
keep in mind, it needs to be an urban kind of dog (whatever that means)
space ain't an issue--i live/work in a loft--figure it can get its exercise
by running the length of this place
if it likes the water and goes sailing all the better.

how about a dog rental program for a month at a time?

Find a neighbor with a dog that travels and needs a dog-sitter.