Scott Vernon

Default We're Back!

poor baby....it was mid 50s on Sat. night absolutely perfect sleeping
weather, and sunny and 70s today. Light winds though. Lisa gooped me up with
lotsa sunblock, but she got burnt

Scotty

"katysails" wrote in message

Seahag said: The weather's getting
pretty hot and sticky ...

Must be nice...it finally stopped raining here...for what? you may ask?
How's about 58 F with the wind blowing out of the NW at 20 mph at the lake
at 3:30 pm? And it's supposed to go down to below 40 F there tonight, so

we
came right back home...there were whitecaps on Muskegon Lake and the idea

of
spending the night on the hook with no heater just didn't seem like a fun
thing...Maybe it will turn summertime tomorrow (miraculously...)
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Scott Vernon

we used to shoot them with BB guns.

SV

"katysails" wrote in message
Taddy stated:
and with the oars
moving gently and effortlessly, pulls away smoothly as a swan
swimming, with a soft sibilant hiss as the bow slices through the
water.

Oars???? You giug frogs from a BOAT???? Heck...we used to just wade nto
the old weeds and lilypads and "spurt"...they're gigged....doesn't seem
quite fitting to sneal up on 'em in a boat....
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Bobsprit

we used to shoot them with BB guns.

Anyone impressed? Seems that before Scotty Potty was a woman, he was a girl
with a BB gun.

RB
Flying Tadpole

Default How to pith a toad (non-excretory)

Peter Wiley wrote:

In article , Flying Tadpole
wrote:

FYI

Toads used to be pithed for frankensteinian biology experiments,
particularly dealing with hearts and nervous systems. Take one
live toad, preferably a cane toad, hold firmly by the back legs
so that it doesn't fly across the laboratory on the up swing,
swing around one's head then bring it down hard so that the head
cracks against the edge of the laboratory bench (not so hard that
its head snaps off and flies across the laboratory). Toad should
be unconscious or dead after that. Ignore movement. Sever the
backbone at the neck then with a probe push up the spinal nerve
conduit and pulp the spinal nerve and the cerebellum. Ignore
movement while doing so. Dissect out the heart, suspend between
supports, flood with saline and apply various stimulants. Watch
it beat. dissect out other bits of nerve and muscle, apply
electrodes, charge, watch responses.

The most revolting thing I was forced to do as an innocent
student.

Wimp. That was a lot of fun. The real challenge was doing it to lab
rats. You had to get the swing and angle just right to crack their
heads on the edge of the lab bench. My wife was doing Hons at the time
and killing rats wholesale.

The real hassle used to come when the rat's scaly tail skin would come
off halfway through the downswing. Catching a partially skinned rat in
a lab is pretty hilarious but you want to tuck your pants into your
socks first.

PDW

I avoided the psych students.

Skinning rats was a problem in the days I was teaching wildlife
courses. Rats had to held very carefully to avoid damaging tails
(prone to infection) while marking them (toe-clipping, not very
prone to infection but now proscribed). Had to bump of the rats
students significantly damaged, but that wasn't very many. I
used to enjoy watching students come back in from the early
morning mark/release sessions. You could tell which species of
rat they'd met by the amount of blood (theirs).
--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Faint echoes, sometimes inaudible, of the newsgroup's glorious
past are downloadable at http://music.download.com/internetopera
Flying Tadpole

Bobsprit wrote:

we used to shoot them with BB guns.

Anyone impressed? Seems that before Scotty Potty was a woman, he was a girl
with a BB gun.

RB

Never played in a country pond as a kid, Bobsprit?
--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Faint echoes, sometimes inaudible, of the newsgroup's glorious
past are downloadable at http://music.download.com/internetopera

Scott Vernon

"Flying Tadpole" croaked
Bobsprit wrote:

we used to shoot them with BB guns.

Anyone impressed?

RB

Never played in a country pond as a kid, Bobsprit?

I picture young bob at a small table, sipping tea with his imaginary
friends.

Scotty,
BTW, I wasn't trying to impress anyone.

Bobsprit

I picture young bob at a small table, sipping tea with his imaginary
friends.

No need to edit Scotty Potty's comments here!

Ewwwwww!

RB
Bobsprit

Anyone impressed? Seems that before Scotty Potty was a woman, he was a girl
with a BB gun.

You jealous because your daddy never gave you a Daisy Red Rider?

Nope, I was taught how to box and that only weak people needed guns.

RB

GRETTIR'S SAGA (continued) Nik ASA 0 September 19th 03 10:12 PM
Eastman's guide to exposing the 9-11 mass-murder frameup to justify world-domination to an otherwise isolationist American public Bertie the Bunyip ASA 4 August 23rd 03 10:54 PM
The Bahamas, Key West and back. LaBomba182 Cruising 1 August 4th 03 01:32 PM
back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM