katysails

Default We're Back!

So you sneal up and pith on toads?

Maybe we could start calling him "Toady".....
(for the life of me, I cannot see why anyone would want to gig a
toad....foul things that they are...) we used to gig frogs for a lady down
the street who paid us for the legs....
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

katysails

Taddy commented:
Ah...a more disgusting mind than even the Tadpole's...
--
Not possible....

Seahag

"katysails" wrote:

So you sneal up and pith on toads?

Maybe we could start calling him "Toady".....
(for the life of me, I cannot see why anyone would want to gig a
toad....foul things that they are...) we used to gig frogs for a lady down
the street who paid us for the legs....

Maybe they eat toad legs on Barker Creek!

Seahag

Flying Tadpole

You and Seahag need to watch your timing when singing chorus....

katysails wrote:

Taddy commented:
Ah...a more disgusting mind than even the Tadpole's...
--
Not possible....
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Faint echoes, sometimes inaudible, of the newsgroup's glorious
past are downloadable at http://music.download.com/internetopera
Flying Tadpole

Default How to pith a toad (non-excretory)

FYI

Toads used to be pithed for frankensteinian biology experiments,
particularly dealing with hearts and nervous systems. Take one
live toad, preferably a cane toad, hold firmly by the back legs
so that it doesn't fly across the laboratory on the up swing,
swing around one's head then bring it down hard so that the head
cracks against the edge of the laboratory bench (not so hard that
its head snaps off and flies across the laboratory). Toad should
be unconscious or dead after that. Ignore movement. Sever the
backbone at the neck then with a probe push up the spinal nerve
conduit and pulp the spinal nerve and the cerebellum. Ignore
movement while doing so. Dissect out the heart, suspend between
supports, flood with saline and apply various stimulants. Watch
it beat. dissect out other bits of nerve and muscle, apply
electrodes, charge, watch responses.

The most revolting thing I was forced to do as an innocent
student.

katysails wrote:

So you sneal up and pith on toads?

Maybe we could start calling him "Toady".....
(for the life of me, I cannot see why anyone would want to gig a
toad....foul things that they are...) we used to gig frogs for a lady down
the street who paid us for the legs....
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Faint echoes, sometimes inaudible, of the newsgroup's glorious
past are downloadable at http://music.download.com/internetopera

John Cairns

"Flying Tadpole" wrote in message
[...]

You know, they don't use live specimens, not for the high school kids.
This should bring back fond memories.
http://curry.edschool.virginia.edu/go/frog/Frog2/

John Cairns

katysails

Haggie surmised:
Maybe they eat toad legs on Barker Creek!

I wouldn't doubt it at all....it's all those walk-abouts....probably eats
ants, too....
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

katysails

Taddy said:
You and Seahag need to watch your timing when singing chorus....

Great minds think alike.....we're just not always in tandem....
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

katysails

I thought cane toads were deadly poisonous?

We did similar experiments in A&P with frogs...we'd anesthetize them with
chloroform, slice them open, and put drops of digitalis on their hearts to
watch them have heart attacks....only the guy I shared a lab table with was
a physician's son with a warm heart...he brought a suture kit and we sewed
our frog back up...she survived for about 2 weeks (yes, we knew she was a
she....full of eggs....as a future OB-GYN, my lab partner also performed an
oopherectomy....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Peter Wiley

In article , Flying Tadpole
wrote:

[...]

Wimp. That was a lot of fun. The real challenge was doing it to lab
rats. You had to get the swing and angle just right to crack their
heads on the edge of the lab bench. My wife was doing Hons at the time
and killing rats wholesale.

The real hassle used to come when the rat's scaly tail skin would come
off halfway through the downswing. Catching a partially skinned rat in
a lab is pretty hilarious but you want to tuck your pants into your
socks first.

PDW

GRETTIR'S SAGA (continued) Nik ASA 0 September 19th 03 10:12 PM
Eastman's guide to exposing the 9-11 mass-murder frameup to justify world-domination to an otherwise isolationist American public Bertie the Bunyip ASA 4 August 23rd 03 10:54 PM
The Bahamas, Key West and back. LaBomba182 Cruising 1 August 4th 03 01:32 PM
back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM