Scott Vernon

Default We're Back!

they kinda came in handy to defend our country.

What use is a gun?

I use mine as a paperweight. It keeps the liberals away.

Peter Wiley

Default How to pith a toad (non-excretory)

In article , Flying Tadpole
wrote:

Peter Wiley wrote:

Ah, memories of trapping Rattus fuscipes in the national parks north of
Sydney and various animals round Smiths Lake. We got a possum in a big
trap one night. It wasn't happy.

Another time we fooled a kookaburra into swooping on a rubber snake and
trying to beat it to death on its tree.

My first degree had a major in population ecology. I picked all the
courses with good field trips.

Rattus fuscipes was the furry friendly one. It was Rattus
lutreolus that was the snakey sod.

I didn't get my claws into students until 2nd year, but they had
to do a natural resources equivalent to farm practice in first
year. I set them keeping tabs on the Roseworthy possums, to get
rid of harry Butler ideas (yes, that long ago) and discover that
happy furry cuddly native animals were lethal hateful spitting
beasts with five razor blades on each hand and every one aimed at
you.

Those students obviously didn't grow up in the country. Possums have 2
uses - dog food & rugs for the bed. I did admire the ones at Sydney Uni
tho - they used to feed from the bins with complete insouciance. One of
the few native marsupials which have made a (all too) successful
adaptation to the suburbs.

ALso spent many happy hours marching them through mangrove
mud, and teaching them basic power- and row-boat safety
(mandatory a.s.asa content)

No mangroves in SA are there? Thought their geographic range was less
than that. Certainly none in Tas. Mangroves are fun. Smelly, but
interesting places. Was barra fishing in the Wessel Islands one time in
a creek running thru mangroves and one of the guys spotted a croc. 4
people did a standing leap from the water into the dinghy in an
ohnosecond. It wasn't very big but who knew where its mummy was....

We used to run sediment profiles offshore & up beaches, along with
drift studies and the like. Anything to get out of sitting in lecture
theatres.

ANd yes, I had students like you. The main issue was not the
rubber goods but the bongs.

You wouldn't have lasted with our lot. Someone would have put a possum
in your tent, or worse. Field trips involved mandatory drinking every
night followed by crack of dawn trap runs to let the critters out, then
breakfast.

PDW
Flying Tadpole

Seahag wrote:

"katysails" wrote:
Taddy said:
You and Seahag need to watch your timing when singing chorus....

Great minds think alike.....we're just not always in tandem....

So how was our timing?

Seahag

Out by nine minutes. Seahag first off the mark: Sun 10:46PM then
Katysails Sun 10:54 (both local TOA here).

Next time, factor in the different packet routes and servers and
get it properly simultaneous.

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Faint echoes, sometimes inaudible, of the newsgroup's glorious
past are downloadable at http://music.download.com/internetopera
Flying Tadpole

Peter Wiley wrote:

Those students obviously didn't grow up in the country. Possums have 2
uses - dog food & rugs for the bed. I did admire the ones at Sydney Uni
tho - they used to feed from the bins with complete insouciance. One of
the few native marsupials which have made a (all too) successful
adaptation to the suburbs.

Which seems to be changing. Oddly, the common brushie is
starting to become a threatened species in Adelaide suburbs. A
consequence of denser housing AND everyone pulling up their fruit
trees.

No mangroves in SA are there? Thought their geographic range was less
than that. Certainly none in Tas.

Lots. Big big stands in Adelaide, right round the top end of St
Vincent Gulf, huge stands top end Spencer Gulf.

Also: Westernport Bay incl Philip Island. SOuthernmost stands
are on Wilson's Promontory.

Mangroves are fun. Smelly, but
interesting places. Was barra fishing in the Wessel Islands one time in
a creek running thru mangroves and one of the guys spotted a croc. 4
people did a standing leap from the water into the dinghy in an
ohnosecond. It wasn't very big but who knew where its mummy was....

Southern mangroves are less interesting: monospecific stands and
no crocodiles.

You wouldn't have lasted with our lot.

Don;t you believe it.

Someone would have put a possum
in your tent, or worse.

They didn't dare to.

Field trips involved mandatory drinking every
night followed by crack of dawn trap runs to let the critters out, then
breakfast.

So? at that stage, I could drink any student under the table and
still give the appearance of being sober. Mooron will lend you
the how-to manual, if you wish.

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Faint echoes, sometimes inaudible, of the newsgroup's glorious
past are downloadable at http://music.download.com/internetopera
Jonathan Ganz

Horass uses fairies as paperweights... more info than we needed.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Horvath" wrote in message
On 22 Jun 2004 02:06:34 GMT, (Bobsprit) wrote this
crap:

Don't
fear the GUN. guns are fun. they're a useful tool.

What use is a gun? Can't you afford to buy meat? Can't you throw a

straight
punch? How useless are you?

I use mine as a paperweight. It keeps the liberals away.

Peter Wiley

In article , Flying Tadpole
wrote:

Peter Wiley wrote:

Those students obviously didn't grow up in the country. Possums have 2
uses - dog food & rugs for the bed. I did admire the ones at Sydney Uni
tho - they used to feed from the bins with complete insouciance. One of
the few native marsupials which have made a (all too) successful
adaptation to the suburbs.

Which seems to be changing. Oddly, the common brushie is
starting to become a threatened species in Adelaide suburbs. A
consequence of denser housing AND everyone pulling up their fruit
trees.

Plenty down here, I see them wandering about outside my windows.
Something nailed a pademelon in my driveway the other night, I suspect
a feral cat as none of the neighbours have dogs loose and I've seen a
cat about. Time to bring a rifle down from NSW methinks.

No mangroves in SA are there? Thought their geographic range was less
than that. Certainly none in Tas.

Lots. Big big stands in Adelaide, right round the top end of St
Vincent Gulf, huge stands top end Spencer Gulf.

Also: Westernport Bay incl Philip Island. SOuthernmost stands
are on Wilson's Promontory.

Ah, ok, I knew they were down to the NSW-Vic border (used to camp in
Nadgee Nature reserve) but that lot were also (IIRC) a monoculture and
getting pretty scrubby. Hope you lot treat the mangroves better than
NSW (and esp Sydney) has. Wonderful filtration places and small fish
nurseries.

Mangroves are fun. Smelly, but
interesting places. Was barra fishing in the Wessel Islands one time in
a creek running thru mangroves and one of the guys spotted a croc. 4
people did a standing leap from the water into the dinghy in an
ohnosecond. It wasn't very big but who knew where its mummy was....

Southern mangroves are less interesting: monospecific stands and
no crocodiles.

You wouldn't have lasted with our lot.

Don;t you believe it.

Heh.

Someone would have put a possum
in your tent, or worse.

They didn't dare to.

Heh.

Field trips involved mandatory drinking every
night followed by crack of dawn trap runs to let the critters out, then
breakfast.

So? at that stage, I could drink any student under the table and
still give the appearance of being sober. Mooron will lend you
the how-to manual, if you wish.

Doubt I need it thinking of the jobs I've had & people I've worked
with. Fishermen, cattlemen, miners....... learnt more than one trick to
survive such 'social' encounters.

PDW
Bobsprit

they kinda came in handy to defend our country.

Terrorist bears in PA??? Will they crash their unicycles into your trailer?

RB
katysails

consequence of denser housing AND everyone pulling up their fruit
trees.

Why are they doing that???

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

katysails

So how was our timing?

Well, if he'd quit writing music in obscure timing patterns it would be
better....my metronome is going crazy....
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

katysails

Next time, factor in the different packet routes and servers and
get it properly simultaneous.

Taddy: : P'''

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

GRETTIR'S SAGA (continued) Nik ASA 0 September 19th 03 10:12 PM
Eastman's guide to exposing the 9-11 mass-murder frameup to justify world-domination to an otherwise isolationist American public Bertie the Bunyip ASA 4 August 23rd 03 10:54 PM
The Bahamas, Key West and back. LaBomba182 Cruising 1 August 4th 03 01:32 PM
back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM