NH_/\)_

Default shopping pains

Cats are looking to be a nice choice in the 38-40ft range

http://www.sailnet.com/collections/b...ing%20a%20Boat

NH_/)_

Simple Simon

Only women and girly men are interested in Catamarans.

(Sorry Per!)

S.Simon - a Captain who knows multihulls are not real boats

"NH_/)_" wrote in message ...
Cats are looking to be a nice choice in the 38-40ft range

http://www.sailnet.com/collections/b...ing%20a%20Boat

NH_/)_

Bobsprit

Cats are looking to be a nice choice in the 38-40ft range

You still haven't bought a boat?
You probably never will.

RB
NH_/\)_

papers on the trust are taking longer than expected.
So while we wait, I am grabbing all knowledge that I can
from this and other groups, sites and such, so when the funds
come in, we know what we want. and the cat right now is
lurking top choice.

Reasons
1 will flip ...but does not sink
2 more room
3 sails in shallow water
4 more stable on the water

Down side

1 Costs are high
the one we are looking at costs 300K
we only have 140K right now so we have to
wait for the trust to come available.

2 mooring can be more difficult--finding room

NH_/)_

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Cats are looking to be a nice choice in the 38-40ft range

You still haven't bought a boat?
You probably never will.

RB

DSK

"NH_/)_" wrote:

.... so when the funds
come in, we know what we want. and the cat right now is
lurking top choice.

Reasons
1 will flip ...but does not sink

Neither will a monohull with either bulkheads or positive flotation, and
if the mono flips it will come back.

Actually, it takes really bad luck and/or stupidity to flip a big
cruising cat. Not a realistic concern, you should worry about being
struck by a meteor first.

2 more room

Depends on how you count 'room.' Most multis suffer from lack of stowage
and the extra room is divided up into small compartments. Except for a
few Chris White designs, I have yet to see a cruising cat that was
designed for cruising (ie a small number of people aboard long term)
rather than chartering or weekend partying (not that there's anything
wrong with that).

3 sails in shallow water

So will a properly designed mono.

4 more stable on the water

Yep. Definitely a plus there.

Down side

1 Costs are high
the one we are looking at costs 300K
we only have 140K right now so we have to
wait for the trust to come available.

2 mooring can be more difficult--finding room

3 can't use a windvane

4 poor performance in chop (also very noisy)

5 poor performance in light air (but you'll probably be motoring anyway)

but wait there's more! I always manage to PO the multi fans because I
point out the lack of perfection of their craft... of course all boats
are a compromise.

Personally, aesthetics aside, I don't think cats are a logical choice.
For what a big cruising cat costs, you can get & outfit a mono that is
bigger, roomier, faster, more seaworthy, with centerboard or lifting
keel, and the only thing you gain with the cat is no heeling.

Fresh Breezes
Doug King

Jonathan Ganz

Bull****. They're great rigs if you understand them. If you overload
them, over- or under-canvass them, then they're crap. Some designs
are not well thought out and are thus crap. If you sail them beyond
your knowledge and skill, they're crap. But, all of this can be said
for monohulls as well. It's the sailor, not the boat 99% of the time.

"NH_/)_" wrote in message

Cats are looking to be a nice choice in the 38-40ft range

http://www.sailnet.com/collections/b...ing%20a%20Boat

NH_/)_

Jonathan Ganz

Get a folding trimaran like the Corsair. Then you can use one slip.
They're still expensive. However, the tris are faster than cats and
they point higher. You can also haul them behind a car if you need
to...

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Cats are looking to be a nice choice in the 38-40ft range

You still haven't bought a boat?
You probably never will.

RB

NH_/\)_

I seen a program on TV, where is shows a cat getting caught
in a down-draft from a storm on the Great Lakes it flipped over
but did not sink. ? can you explain better

NH_/)_

"DSK" wrote in message
"NH_/)_" wrote:

[...]

Bobsprit

Personally, aesthetics aside, I don't think cats are a logical choice.
For what a big cruising cat costs, you can get & outfit a mono that is
bigger, roomier, faster, more seaworthy, with centerboard or lifting
keel, and the only thing you gain with the cat is no heeling.

I have a friend who's delievered several (4) big cats transatlantic. With
experienced crews, he said the motion of the cats was horrible and some
seasoned sailors got sea sick for the 1st time in their lives. He feels they
are best as coastal cruisers and not true sea boats.

RB