Bertie the Bunyip

Default shopping pains

"Simple Simon" wrote in
:

More downsides:

1) It won't go to weather worth a crap

Pretty much just like all you guys.

Bertie
NH_/\)_

Simon I'm going to take at least 40K and buy a nice twin motor
powerboat. Find where your mooring and get one right beside
you, wait until your asleep and let that baby rip those twin
engines theheee

NH_/)_

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
More downsides:

1) It won't go to weather worth a crap

2) It's uglier than sin

3) If your built-in generator takes a crap you're out of commission

4) It'll capsize and stay capsized and it can and will sink

5) It's a pain in the butt to anchor

6) Two motors equals twice the headaches

7) It's a better motorboat than a sailboat

8) It's way way way too expensive for what you get

9) Did I say it's uglier than sin?

10) Real cruisers will laugh at you and won't want to be
anywhere near you in an anchorage. It's a case of
"Oops! there goes the neighborhood!"

S.Simon

"NH_/)_" wrote in message

papers on the trust are taking longer than expected.
So while we wait, I am grabbing all knowledge that I can
from this and other groups, sites and such, so when the funds
come in, we know what we want. and the cat right now is
lurking top choice.

Reasons
1 will flip ...but does not sink
2 more room
3 sails in shallow water
4 more stable on the water

Down side

1 Costs are high
the one we are looking at costs 300K
we only have 140K right now so we have to
wait for the trust to come available.

2 mooring can be more difficult--finding room

NH_/)_

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Cats are looking to be a nice choice in the 38-40ft range

You still haven't bought a boat?
You probably never will.

RB

Jeff Morris

That was a racing trimaran, not a cruising cat; two totally different boats. The have
been only a handful of cruising cats over 35 feet flipping while cruising in the last 50
years - maybe one a decade.

Here's the story of the Caliente:
http://personalpages.tds.net/~treyritter/

NH_/)_ wrote:
I seen a program on TV, where is shows a cat getting caught
in a down-draft from a storm on the Great Lakes it flipped over
but did not sink. ? can you explain better

NH_/)_

"DSK" wrote in message
"NH_/)_" wrote:

.... so when the funds
come in, we know what we want. and the cat right now is
lurking top choice.

Reasons
1 will flip ...but does not sink

Neither will a monohull with either bulkheads or positive flotation,
and if the mono flips it will come back.

Actually, it takes really bad luck and/or stupidity to flip a big
cruising cat. Not a realistic concern, you should worry about being
struck by a meteor first.

2 more room

Depends on how you count 'room.' Most multis suffer from lack of
stowage and the extra room is divided up into small compartments.
Except for a few Chris White designs, I have yet to see a cruising
cat that was designed for cruising (ie a small number of people
aboard long term) rather than chartering or weekend partying (not
that there's anything wrong with that).

3 sails in shallow water

So will a properly designed mono.

4 more stable on the water

Yep. Definitely a plus there.

Down side

1 Costs are high
the one we are looking at costs 300K
we only have 140K right now so we have to
wait for the trust to come available.

2 mooring can be more difficult--finding room

3 can't use a windvane

4 poor performance in chop (also very noisy)

5 poor performance in light air (but you'll probably be motoring
anyway)

but wait there's more! I always manage to PO the multi fans because I
point out the lack of perfection of their craft... of course all
boats are a compromise.

Personally, aesthetics aside, I don't think cats are a logical
choice. For what a big cruising cat costs, you can get & outfit a
mono that is bigger, roomier, faster, more seaworthy, with
centerboard or lifting keel, and the only thing you gain with the
cat is no heeling.

Fresh Breezes
Doug King

Simple Simon

How do you know about the ones that were lost at sea and never
reported? I thought 'assumptions should not be made of the basis
of scanty information'.

S.Simon

"DSK" wrote in message
"NH_/)_" wrote:

[...]

Jeff Morris

Simple Simon wrote:
More downsides:

1) It won't go to weather worth a crap

Some do, some don't. Since you always power to weather, why do you bother to comment?

2) It's uglier than sin

A matter of opinion. I think mine is very handsome, though it is a somewhat unique
design. However, I'll confess that I felt a bit out of place in Vineyard Haven, which has
a large number of traditional wooden boats and classic plastic.

3) If your built-in generator takes a crap you're out of commission

What geneator? You're talking about a boat that likely has twin deisels, each with an
alternator. Acres of space for solar panels. No need for A/C at anchor, since we (and
most) have 6 large forward facing top hatches, plus 10 other opening hatches.

4) It'll capsize and stay capsized and it can and will sink

So you say, but it hardly ever happens. Statistically, a monohull is far more likely to
sink.

5) It's a pain in the butt to anchor

Why? I have twin bows so two sets of gear are ready to go. I have an immense work area
so no one is afraid to go to the bow, even in rough weather. Its true that I do have to
rig a bridle, bu that only takes a few minutes and eliminates chaff.

6) Two motors equals twice the headaches

Yes, especially when I'm backing through a marina, and spinning the boat in place. And
its really a headache when I foul one prop on a lobsta pot and only have one engine left.

Yes, I do have twice as many oil changes, but I can live with that.

7) It's a better motorboat than a sailboat

In some cases, but its almost always a better sailboat than a monhull the same size.

8) It's way way way too expensive for what you get

I could have got a Hunter 42 for the same money. I think I got the better of the deal.
Its true that the used market is rather expensive - maybe because people are willing to
pay?

9) Did I say it's uglier than sin?

Glass houses, Neal, Glass Houses.

10) Real cruisers will laugh at you and won't want to be
anywhere near you in an anchorage. It's a case of
"Oops! there goes the neighborhood!"

Real cruisers stop by because they know my fridge is twice as large! But I'm often
anchored close to shore since a three foot draft allows me to go where most monohulls only
dream of.

S.Simon - the skipper of "half a yacht"

Simple Simon

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message ...

Real cruisers stop by because they know my fridge is twice as large! But I'm often
anchored close to shore since a three foot draft allows me to go where most monohulls only
dream of.

How about paying more attention to going where
three-foot-draft monohulls can only dream of going
- like to weather?

He he!

S.Simon.

Jeff Morris

DSK wrote:
"NH_/)_" wrote:

2 more room

Depends on how you count 'room.' Most multis suffer from lack of
stowage and the extra room is divided up into small compartments.
Except for a few Chris White designs, I have yet to see a cruising
cat that was designed for cruising (ie a small number of people
aboard long term) rather than chartering or weekend partying (not
that there's anything wrong with that).

Have you been on a newer PDQ36? They are certainly not built for chartering, and a large
number of owners have done extensive cruising. We lived and cruised for a year (2 adults,
one child) and never felt a lack of storage. I will admit that our third stateroom (which
has a queen size bunk) gradually turned into a pantry. In our current "short cruise"
mode, we have three large lockers that are empty, and the third stateroom is occupied by a
dog.

Early versions of the boat were much more stripped out, since it was originally designed
as a racer/cruiser.

3 sails in shallow water

So will a properly designed mono.

Are you saying that any monohull with a draft over 3 feet is not properlly designed?

4 more stable on the water

Yep. Definitely a plus there.

Down side

1 Costs are high
the one we are looking at costs 300K
we only have 140K right now so we have to
wait for the trust to come available.

2 mooring can be more difficult--finding room

3 can't use a windvane

Why not?

4 poor performance in chop (also very noisy)

So have a lot of monohulls. Yes, the noise can be dramatic, but a varies a lot, cat to
cat.

5 poor performance in light air (but you'll probably be motoring
anyway)

Yes, under 8-10 knots of true wind, I'd likely be powering.

but wait there's more! I always manage to PO the multi fans because I
point out the lack of perfection of their craft... of course all boats
are a compromise.

Personally, aesthetics aside, I don't think cats are a logical choice.
For what a big cruising cat costs, you can get & outfit a mono that is
bigger, roomier, faster, more seaworthy, with centerboard or lifting
keel, and the only thing you gain with the cat is no heeling.

Can you name a few? I'll admit that you can get one or two of these traits, and if you're
willing to get an older boat you can do better with a monohull. But if you're comparing
newer boats I don't know what would fill your description.

-jeff

Jeff Morris

Yes, its well know fact that multihull owners have no family or friends that would notice
their absence.

This is about as ignorant as your claim that "all multihulls can and will capsize and
sink"