Bobsprit

Default shopping pains

Get a folding trimaran like the Corsair. Then you can use one slip.
They're still expensive. However, the tris are faster than cats and
they point higher.

There's a 28 foot Cosair near me, Say what you want, but those people have a
blast on that thing and get everywhere 1st.

RB
Jeff Morris

36 feet isn't bad either.

--
-jeff www.sv-loki.com
"The sea was angry that day, my friend. Like an old man trying to send back soup at the

NH_/)_ wrote:
Cats are looking to be a nice choice in the 38-40ft range

http://www.sailnet.com/collections/b...&coll_cat=Choo
sing&Coll_name=Choosing%20a%20Boat

NH_/)_

DSK

"NH_/)_" wrote:

I seen a program on TV, where is shows a cat getting caught
in a down-draft from a storm on the Great Lakes it flipped over
but did not sink. ? can you explain better

Sure. That was a hot-stuff racing cat, very very light with huge sails. It is
a VERY different sort of beast than a cruising cat.

The things that flip cats over (pitchpoling, catching wind under the
crossbeams & platform) are not the same things that flip over monos (big
breaking waves caught at the wrong angle). The cats are vulnerable only if
caught in conditions that you'd be stupid to get caught in or sailed 'way too
hard (that Great Lakes flipped cat is an example of both at once).

If you cruise intelligently (ie prudently) you have about the same chance of
getting hit by a meteor as flipping. Of course, with the bigger deck area, a
multi has greater odds of that than a mono

I freely admit to being prejudiced in favor of monohulls, although I can see
some of the advantages of multihulls. Usually their advantages are either
exaggerated or outright mis-stated by enthusiasts, often by folks with little
practical knowledge of other types of vessels. Ask Jeff Morris about his boat,
he's a multi fan but not an unrealistic one.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Bobsprit

If you cruise intelligently (ie prudently) you have about the same chance of
getting hit by a meteor as flipping. Of course, with the bigger deck area, a
multi has greater odds of that than a mono

I dispute those odds. Care to back them? There is but one case of a person
being struck by space debris.

RB
Peter J Ross

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 15:05:48 GMT, a team of surgeons from
alt.sailing.asa removed the following benign growth from NH_/)_:

Cats are looking to be a nice choice in the 38-40ft range

You'd need a bloody big catflap.

--
PJR :-)
mhm34x8

NH_/\)_

Good Points given thanks......
lessons and charters are in order, until we get some
seasoned experience before we try deep waters

NH_/)_

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
they
are best as coastal cruisers and not true sea boats.
RB

Bertie the Bunyip

Peter J Ross wrote in
:

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 15:05:48 GMT, a team of surgeons from
alt.sailing.asa removed the following benign growth from NH_/)_:

Cats are looking to be a nice choice in the 38-40ft range

You'd need a bloody big catflap.

Bwawhahhwhahwhahhwhahwhahwh!

Bertie
Simple Simon

Jon,

Scroll down to the bottom of the link she gave
and you'll find a list of ten reasons why this type
of cruising cat is dangerous enough to make a list
like this necessary. You won't find such a list on a
monohull site. That should tell you something.

S.Simon - a Captain who sails a man's boat

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message ...
Bull****. They're great rigs if you understand them. If you overload
them, over- or under-canvass them, then they're crap. Some designs
are not well thought out and are thus crap. If you sail them beyond
your knowledge and skill, they're crap. But, all of this can be said
for monohulls as well. It's the sailor, not the boat 99% of the time.

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
Only women and girly men are interested in Catamarans.

(Sorry Per!)

S.Simon - a Captain who knows multihulls are not real boats

"NH_/)_" wrote in message

Cats are looking to be a nice choice in the 38-40ft range

http://www.sailnet.com/collections/b...ing%20a%20Boat

NH_/)_

Bertie the Bunyip

"Simple Simon" wrote in
:

S.Simon - a Captain who sails a man's boat

Really? and you do it seriously, I suppose.

It is a wood boat, right? Because only gurls sail tupprware..

Bertei
Simple Simon

More downsides:

1) It won't go to weather worth a crap

2) It's uglier than sin

3) If your built-in generator takes a crap you're out of commission

4) It'll capsize and stay capsized and it can and will sink

5) It's a pain in the butt to anchor

6) Two motors equals twice the headaches

7) It's a better motorboat than a sailboat

8) It's way way way too expensive for what you get

9) Did I say it's uglier than sin?

10) Real cruisers will laugh at you and won't want to be
anywhere near you in an anchorage. It's a case of
"Oops! there goes the neighborhood!"

S.Simon

"NH_/)_" wrote in message ...
papers on the trust are taking longer than expected.
So while we wait, I am grabbing all knowledge that I can
from this and other groups, sites and such, so when the funds
come in, we know what we want. and the cat right now is
lurking top choice.

Reasons
1 will flip ...but does not sink
2 more room
3 sails in shallow water
4 more stable on the water

Down side

1 Costs are high
the one we are looking at costs 300K
we only have 140K right now so we have to
wait for the trust to come available.

2 mooring can be more difficult--finding room

NH_/)_

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Cats are looking to be a nice choice in the 38-40ft range

You still haven't bought a boat?
You probably never will.

RB