DSK

Default shopping pains

"NH_/)_" wrote:

I seen a program on TV, where is shows a cat getting caught
in a down-draft from a storm on the Great Lakes it flipped over
but did not sink. ? can you explain better

Sure. That was a hot-stuff racing cat, very very light with huge sails. It is
a VERY different sort of beast than a cruising cat.

The things that flip cats over (pitchpoling, catching wind under the
crossbeams & platform) are not the same things that flip over monos (big
breaking waves caught at the wrong angle). The cats are vulnerable only if
caught in conditions that you'd be stupid to get caught in or sailed 'way too
hard (that Great Lakes flipped cat is an example of both at once).

If you cruise intelligently (ie prudently) you have about the same chance of
getting hit by a meteor as flipping. Of course, with the bigger deck area, a
multi has greater odds of that than a mono

I freely admit to being prejudiced in favor of monohulls, although I can see
some of the advantages of multihulls. Usually their advantages are either
exaggerated or outright mis-stated by enthusiasts, often by folks with little
practical knowledge of other types of vessels. Ask Jeff Morris about his boat,
he's a multi fan but not an unrealistic one.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King