Default Man I loathe truck payments

On Oct 20, 1:30 pm, Tim wrote:
On Oct 20, 12:13 pm, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 09:56:48 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

How do y'all justify debt on a vehicle to yourself?

Everybody's different. You might guess I pay cash.
Had a $1100 note on a used '64 Olds way back,
because I didn't have the cash and had to get to work.
Paid that off way early.
Most I ever paid for a car was $6k.
Had 31k miles, and I junked it at 190k 11 years later when it rusted
out. Well less than $1k in repairs, and it only failed to start once.
If you go used, talk to plenty of truck mechanics first.
They'll put you onto the right one.
Some people don't mind getting into debt for a car/truck.
I'm not one of them, and you don't seem to like it either.
Doing your own repairs helps.
Second best is having a good mechanic.
But picking the right vehicle is the key.

--Vic

That's what I like about my '90 mercury wagon. It's a good car. paint
isn't the best but not bad. It cleans up nicely and I don't mind
taking it on a trip. The 302 engine isn't the best for pulling the
heavy boat, but it does the job. I've got less than $1100.00 in it not
counting the maintenance (tires and brakes) And I plan on driving it
for another couple years (minimum) or so. Which will make my 5 year
anniversary with it.

No. I'm not a slave to fashion.

Is it possible to rent a large truck to tow my heavy sailboat? I have
never seen such.
Tim Tim is offline

On Oct 20, 12:35*pm, wrote:
On Oct 20, 1:30 pm, Tim wrote:

wrote:

[...]

never seen such.- Hide quoted text -

You probably can. Check a local dealer and see if they have a heavy
used truck (dodge ram2500) or Ford power stroke, that they would rent
for a day or wekend. some places will.Because it's not making them
any revenue just sitting there.

On Oct 20, 1:40 pm, Tim wrote:
On Oct 20, 12:35 pm, wrote:

On Oct 20, 1:30 pm, Tim wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, for towing the sailboat, I'd need a one way rental, not
likely

On Oct 20, 2:01*pm, wrote:
On Oct 20, 1:40 pm, Tim wrote:

On Oct 20, 12:35 pm, wrote:

On Oct 20, 1:30 pm, Tim wrote:

wrote:

[...]

likely- Hide quoted text -

U-Haul will rent one-way, and they have trucks capable of towing.

On Oct 20, 2:07 pm, wrote:
On Oct 20, 2:01 pm, wrote:

On Oct 20, 1:40 pm, Tim wrote:

On Oct 20, 12:35 pm, wrote:

On Oct 20, 1:30 pm, Tim wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I once tried Uhaul for my old smaller sailboat and they would not
allow me to tow with it. Maybe this has changed.

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:30:10 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

That's what I like about my '90 mercury wagon. It's a good car. paint
isn't the best but not bad. It cleans up nicely and I don't mind
taking it on a trip. The 302 engine isn't the best for pulling the
heavy boat, but it does the job. I've got less than $1100.00 in it not
counting the maintenance (tires and brakes) And I plan on driving it
for another couple years (minimum) or so. Which will make my 5 year
anniversary with it.

No. I'm not a slave to fashion.

Hehe. The trick is knowing the reliable drivetrains.
I stick to GM 2.8 based, including the 3.1's. The 2.2 four
is rock solid too. Not up on the GM transmissions, but haven't
had problems anyway.
Have to do your homework.
Except for my 352, haven't messed with Fords, but if I did,
I read up on them, talk to mechanics and get the skinny.
All the manufacturers make solid cars and they all make problematic
cars. Knowing which is which keeps you out of trouble.
Like you, I don't care much about looks.
I've had some cars I thought were homely when I first got them.
As years passed with no problems, they got prettier and prettier.

--Vic

wrote:

[...]

My Jeep Cherokee was like that. Rock solid. That thing ran decent with
well over 350k on it. Lifters seemed quiter every end of the month
when I didn't have to make a payment!

..
--
A Harry Krause truism:

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"
[A Narcissistic Hypocrite]

On Oct 20, 2:36*pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:19:27 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

My Jeep Cherokee was like that. Rock solid. That thing ran decent with
well over 350k on it. Lifters seemed quiter every end of the month
when I didn't have to make a payment!

It seems to me a car reaches a point where you say to it "You done
good." *Means you got your money's worth.
Some years after that, even a mechanically sound car starts to test
your loyalty because of body, upholstery and under frame issues.
When the bones go, it's time to move on.

--Vic

My Cherokee had the old style rugged as hell but not very refined
front end. Steering knuckles were getting sloppy, things leaked a lot,
etc. It was time! And my new truck rocks!