Default Man I loathe truck payments

On Oct 21, 12:50*pm, JohnH wrote:
On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:08:09 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
.. .

If I were to trade in my 4Runner for a new one, I'd go back to manual,
even
if I had to buy a different breed. I like being able to shift when I want
to. I don't like the auto dropping into another gear any time it starts
climbing a hill, while towing. Using the cruise control, with an
automatic,
while towing is a waste. The damn thing is shifting continuously, so
cruise
control can't be used.

Yup, manual is the way to go.

Does the 4Runner have a "tow/haul" mode?

Virtually all the US manufactured trucks have it, including even the little
Ranger I had.
The auto transmission in tow/haul mode will do a much better job of
selecting the proper gear for the load than a manual transmission. *Plus,
you have the benefit of the torque converter which will unlock under load.
An added benefit, is that they change the gear shift points, reducing the
potential of lugging the engine and causing serious damage. *Finally, they
also provide downshifts to provide engine braking while towing, saving your
brakes.

A properly equipped truck with an auto is much better .... in fact the tow
ratings are higher with an auto.

Eisboch

There is no 'tow/haul' mode that I know of. The book suggests towing in 4th
rather than overdrive. What I'm towing is not that heavy (3500lbs) that the
V8 shouldn't be able to pull it in overdrive on the interstate. It's not
like there are any mountains between here and Chesapeake Bay or Virginia
Beach.

I'm comparing this to my GMC, a manual, which seemed to tow better. Maybe I
should just leave it in 4th and forgetaboutit.
--
A Harry Krause truism:

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"
*[A Narcissistic Hypocrite]- Hide quoted text -

My Jeep was like that, and I did exactly as you suggest, on the
interstate, I'd use the overdrive, suburban type of driving I
wouldn't. Worked fine.

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:04:52 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Oct 21, 12:50*pm, JohnH wrote:
On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:08:09 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I'm getting pretty good at picking up speed on the downgrade and letting it
bleed off on the upgrade. Works pretty well, lets me stay in overdrive, and
saves gas.

I just miss the manual tranny.

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 15:36:57 GMT, JohnH wrote:

I don't like the auto dropping into another gear any time it starts
climbing a hill, while towing.

The secret is to lock out overdrive. There's usually a button on the
shifter to do that. It's better for the transmission and much
smoother to drive.

Jim Jim is offline

Eisboch wrote:
"JohnH" wrote in message

[...]

We just recently discussed this very topic. One of my vehicles has a
highly touted 6 speed computer controlled automatic transmission. I too
don't like the way it shifts while in cruise control in hilly terrain,
so I don't use it under those conditions. Otherwise I am happy letting
the transmission decide when to shift. I don't have the tow haul mode
but I do have selectable grade braking which is computer controlled. I'd
be curious to know what professional drivers think about these modern
transmissions.

On Oct 21, 1:12 pm, jim wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
"JohnH" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Hmm, am glad I brought this up. I was looking for a standard tranny
but will go with auto now.

news

On Oct 21, 12:50 pm, JohnH wrote:
On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:08:09 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I gave up towing with a standard tranny in 1968. Sucked towing a race car
trailer in 60 miles of stop and go traffic after leaving Laguna Seca
Raceway. Plus now towing boats, just put it in drive and the automatic
air-conditioning keeps me and wife at the desired temperature. In the
mountains I push the tow / haul mode as that lets the engine do the braking
on hills. Even my VW Rabbit commuter was tiring in morning rush hour. And
the fuel mileage difference in negligible with the newer locking torque
converters.

wrote in message
On Oct 21, 10:45 am, wrote:
On Oct 21, 10:32 am, "Eisboch" wrote:

wrote in message

On Oct 21, 4:04 am, "Eisboch" wrote:

It is said that you should do what you enjoy in terms of a business.
Now
that I have the time, I am going to try this. Music and the audio
gear to
reproduce it has always been a hobby of sorts and I enjoy it.

Anyway, I needed a heavier duty truck to haul this stuff around in an
enclosed trailer. The Ranger was too small.

Eisboch

My brother once owned an electronics repair shop, and on the side
built custom sound equipment for bands. He was getting quite a
reputation and bigger bands were wanting his equipment. I think it got
to be too much for him. He always liked the simple life.

-----------------------------

I visited the warehouse of a local equipment rental place yesterday.
It's
where I bought the Hammond C3.
The company rents equipment for touring professional bands, wedding
receptions and private parties.

The owner gave me a tour through the huge facility. Hundreds of guitar
amps
(big), hundreds of keyboards, PA equipment, synths, mixers, mics, four
B3's
.... I couldn't believe the inventory. I asked him if his business
level
supported the inventory of gear he had. He said he averages 150 major
equipment setups a MONTH! And that's just in about a 150 mile radius
of
his business.
I couldn't believe it.

He had pictures in his office of him with clients, including Paul
McCartney,
Roy Orbison, BB King, and many, many more.

Quite an interesting visit.

Eisboch

Last night talking to my wife about Nissan vs Toyota, she knows I like
Toyota and said "Buy what you really want and stop being so cheap". I
said "Well, my Nissan was pretty reliable" and she started laughing
saying "David, you thought your old 1955 Ford was reliable and it had
no windows". She may have a point about buying what you want.

"Buy what I want", hmmmmmm, the vehicle I TRULY lust after is a mid
'50s cabover dually. For some reason, I think those cabovers are
awesomely cool. An 8 cyl FLATHEAD engine. I have always wanted to
rebuild a flathead engine just because I admire the simplicity of
them. Put a modern electronic ignition it with HV plugs, radial tires
and you'd improve the previous miles/gallon a lot. She'd have towing
capacity. No comprehensive insurance costs. I could fix ANYTHING on
it. The best part of all would be no bizarre electronic crap like
power windows and such. I wonder if I could make one so reliable I
could drive it across the USA from FL to WY.

Why not?
The Model T Ford club had a rally up here last week and the paper said at
least one car drove all the way from California.
You can't drive any further without getting your tires wet.

"JohnH" wrote in message
news

I'm getting pretty good at picking up speed on the downgrade and letting
it
bleed off on the upgrade. Works pretty well, lets me stay in overdrive,
and
saves gas.

I just miss the manual tranny.

With all due respect, what you are missing is a vehicle designed to tow
something.

You don't want to be in overdrive while towing. An automatic, designed for
towing applications, will figure it out for you.

Eisboch

"jim" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
"JohnH" wrote in message

[...]

Your Allison is probably the best auto transmission made for heavy hauling,
heavy loads.
A professional driver would give his left nut to have one if they made it in
18 gears.

Eisboch

Eisboch wrote:
"JohnH" wrote in message
news
I'm getting pretty good at picking up speed on the downgrade and letting
it
bleed off on the upgrade. Works pretty well, lets me stay in overdrive,
and
saves gas.

I just miss the manual tranny.

With all due respect, what you are missing is a vehicle designed to tow
something.

You don't want to be in overdrive while towing. An automatic, designed for
towing applications, will figure it out for you.

Eisboch

I have the same car. I tow in 4th, not in OD, and when necessary, I
downshift to third or lower. Much easier on the transmission.