Default Watching boats in chop

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:58:03 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

Speaking of that, you gonig to head out and tie off between a couple
of deadmen? :)

I loved that story.

That was Hurricane Charlie 4 years ago. We'd only owned the boat for
about 6 weeks and had no permanent dock of our own at the time. They
bumped up the forecast to Cat 3+ with about 24 hours to go and we
decided to high tail it up river as far inland as we could get.

This one is much different, looks like it will not even make full
hurricane strength.

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:47:06 -0400, hk wrote:

Formica is just a plasticized coating over paper. It's certainly ok for
a kitchen, but on a boat, I'd want something not paper-backed.

Don't tell that to Bertram. They've been using it on interiors for
years and it holds up very well.

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 20:28:35 -0700, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

Not all battleships still have teak decks. To expensive. Friend redid the
deck of the Iowa in, I think, Sitka Spruce. Was not teak.

Sitka spruce has about the best strength to weight of any wood. They
use it for things like main spars for aircraft. Not to mention masts,
booms, gaffs, and so on. It isn't either cheap or especially good as
decking. Teak may be costly, but an ash baseball bat costs a hundred
bucks. A major league grade glove is only about one sixty. Go figure.

Casady
HK HK is offline

Wayne.B wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:47:06 -0400, hk wrote:

Formica is just a plasticized coating over paper. It's certainly ok for
a kitchen, but on a boat, I'd want something not paper-backed.

Don't tell that to Bertram. They've been using it on interiors for
years and it holds up very well.

So? Oh, I get it...because some corporation, the latest of many, that
bought out the Bertram name uses it, I should want it, too. Baaaaa,
baaaaa, baaaaa.

--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do
something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do

— Edward Everett Hale (1822-1909)

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 06:36:40 -0400, hk wrote:

So? Oh, I get it...because some corporation, the latest of many, that
bought out the Bertram name uses it, I should want it, too. Baaaaa,
baaaaa, baaaaa.

WAFA

Bertram was using it 30 years ago. It still looks good on well
maintained boats.

You are such a jerk.

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:04:58 -0400, hk wrote:

wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:44:15 -0400, hk wrote:

wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 06:33:31 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Aug 18, 5:47 pm, hk wrote:
Vic Smith wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 16:15:32 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:02:11 -0400, hk wrote:
Which goes to show how subjective taste is. I've never liked teak on a
boat. On the exterior, I always preferred mahogany, the real stuff, not
the crap that is sold most often these days as mahogany. In a cabin, I
pretty cherry or oak.
After maintaining hardwoods for many years, when I see a beautifully
finished grain I think.......can I get this in a non-scratch plastic?
Yep, taste is subjective, and changing.
That was wrong actually. I wouldn't get a wood grain in plastic.
I like "light" which might be because my eyes aren't as good as they
once were. Besides the maintenance issues, dark woods don't
lend themselves to bright atmospheres, which is my preference now.
Think formica. Or whatever.
--Vic
Formica is just a plasticized coating over paper.
Bull****.
The paper is soaked with resins, therefore paper is never in contact
with anything.
Also, you are lumping Formica with all laminates, idiot.
The fact that the paper in formica absorbs moisture and begins to
smell over time in a marine environment is well known. It's a smell
that you cannot get rid of unless you get rid of the formica.

While I knew the composition of Formica previously, I got some of the
quotes regarding the product (the part about paper) right off the
Formica site. In fact, I thought I put those quotes in quotes and
mentioned the Formica site. I'm not sure what it is loogy is trying to
argue, but I had that same problem with most of his posts, when I
bothered to read them. The boy is drain-bamaged.

One of my "hobbies" is building guitars. For a while in the 80's, it
was all the rage to use phenolic for fretboards. It looked like ebony,
was very strong and stable, and was touted as the "lifetime fretboard
material". It was likewise, made from paper and resin, but used
phenolic resin, and was much thicker than formica countertops. The
color was not just on the surface, either.

The phone company used a lot of phenolic laminate for switch gear.

Is that the stuff that used to be called "bakelite"?

cousins

HK HK is offline

wrote:

wrote:
[...]

One of my part-time after school jobs in high school was in a factory
that had pantograph machines used to grind out nameplates on bakelite
blanks, usually for electrical or other such panels. The dust was
brutal. The bakelite was a tough material.

Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 06:36:40 -0400, hk wrote:

So? Oh, I get it...because some corporation, the latest of many, that
bought out the Bertram name uses it, I should want it, too. Baaaaa,
baaaaa, baaaaa.

WAFA

Bertram was using it 30 years ago. It still looks good on well
maintained boats.

You are such a jerk.

What's your point here, W'hine, that *I* should like Formica as an
interior material on boats because you and Bertram like it?

Told you, I don't like the material on boats. I prefer real wood trim
and paneling, not Formica.

--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do
something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do
the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I
should do, by the grace of God, I will do.

— Edward Everett Hale (1822-1909)

Day watching boats and planes. Calif Bill General 2 October 8th 07 11:01 PM
I'm watching... Butch Davis General 4 August 27th 06 07:01 AM
I'm watching... DSK General 5 August 26th 06 03:05 PM
Don't ask questions on boats - the Feds are watching! [email protected] General 14 April 22nd 05 04:10 AM
Don't ask questions on boats - the Feds are watching! [email protected] General 9 April 22nd 05 04:10 AM