Default Watching boats in chop

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 13:52:05 -0700 (PDT), JimH
wrote:

There was a 60 some foot GB docked alongside the Yacht Club on the
River this weekend. Looked like a planked teak transom on a
fiberglass hull.

What river is that? We live just off the Caloosahatchie in SWFL.

The teak (over fiberglass) transom is one of Grand Bank's most
recogniziable features. They look great when properly finished but
it's a lot of work to keep it up. Mine is about ready for another
re-do but we're in the middle of the rainy season here and ducking
hurricanes.

HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:02:11 -0400, hk wrote:

Which goes to show how subjective taste is. I've never liked teak on a
boat. On the exterior, I always preferred mahogany, the real stuff, not
the crap that is sold most often these days as mahogany. In a cabin, I
pretty cherry or oak.

I guess the boys over at American Marine Ltd. never got your memo.

Eisboch

If someone gave me one of their barges, I would sell it in a New York
minute.

--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do
something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do

— Edward Everett Hale (1822-1909)
HK HK is offline

Vic Smith wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 16:15:32 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:02:11 -0400, hk wrote:

Which goes to show how subjective taste is. I've never liked teak on a
boat. On the exterior, I always preferred mahogany, the real stuff, not
the crap that is sold most often these days as mahogany. In a cabin, I
pretty cherry or oak.

After maintaining hardwoods for many years, when I see a beautifully
finished grain I think.......can I get this in a non-scratch plastic?
Yep, taste is subjective, and changing.

That was wrong actually. I wouldn't get a wood grain in plastic.
I like "light" which might be because my eyes aren't as good as they
once were. Besides the maintenance issues, dark woods don't
lend themselves to bright atmospheres, which is my preference now.
Think formica. Or whatever.

--Vic

Formica is just a plasticized coating over paper. It's certainly ok for
a kitchen, but on a boat, I'd want something not paper-backed.

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:47:06 -0400, hk wrote:

Formica is just a plasticized coating over paper. It's certainly ok for
a kitchen, but on a boat, I'd want something not paper-backed.

Starboard then. Starboard everywhere except the bunk.
There I want a mattress.

--Vic

wrote:

There was a 60 some foot GB docked alongside the Yacht Club on the
River this weekend. Looked like a planked teak transom on a
fiberglass hull.

What river is that? We live just off the Caloosahatchie in SWFL.

The teak (over fiberglass) transom is one of Grand Bank's most
recogniziable features. They look great when properly finished but
it's a lot of work to keep it up. Mine is about ready for another
re-do but we're in the middle of the rainy season here and ducking
hurricanes.

Speaking of that, you gonig to head out and tie off between a couple
of deadmen? :)

I loved that story.

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:02:11 -0400, hk wrote:

Which goes to show how subjective taste is. I've never liked teak on a
boat. On the exterior, I always preferred mahogany, the real stuff, not
the crap that is sold most often these days as mahogany. In a cabin, I
pretty cherry or oak.

Mahogany and teak actually look a lot alike when properly finished
with a good varnish but teak is much more durable.

HK HK is offline

Wayne.B wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:02:11 -0400, hk wrote:

Which goes to show how subjective taste is. I've never liked teak on a
boat. On the exterior, I always preferred mahogany, the real stuff, not
the crap that is sold most often these days as mahogany. In a cabin, I
pretty cherry or oak.

Mahogany and teak actually look a lot alike when properly finished
with a good varnish but teak is much more durable.

Mahogany and teak don't look the same to me. As for durability, I
wouldn't buy a new boat with any exterior wood. On the interior, I
prefer a minimum of visible wood...and as trim, not on surfaces that
would be subject to wear.

I had my fill of sanding and refinishing wood boats, including varnished
wood, when I was a young teen-ager.

--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do
something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do
the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I
should do, by the grace of God, I will do.

— Edward Everett Hale (1822-1909)

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:02:11 -0400, hk wrote:

JimH wrote:
On Aug 18, 12:30 am, Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 19:30:21 -0400, hk wrote:
Parker's solid fir plywood stringer system continues to give
customers the strongest, toughest and safest fiberglass boats built.
~~ snerk~~
Plywood stringers indeed. At least they're not chip board.
Parker and Grady use the same XL ply stringer material, as do many other
manufacturers of top-quality boats. What are the stringers made of in
your floating RV?
Probably solid teak, everything else is.

There was a 60 some foot GB docked alongside the Yacht Club on the
River this weekend. Looked like a planked teak transom on a
fiberglass hull.

Nice looking boat.

Which goes to show how subjective taste is. I've never liked teak on a
boat. On the exterior, I always preferred mahogany, the real stuff, not
the crap that is sold most often these days as mahogany. In a cabin, I
pretty cherry or oak.

All the cruise ships seem to have three inch thick unfinished teak
weather decks. Where you go to run laps. They sand it once a year, and
hose it down occasionally. US battleships had four inch teak decks.
Also unfinished.

Casady

"hk" wrote in message
. ..
Wayne.B wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:02:11 -0400, hk wrote:

Which goes to show how subjective taste is. I've never liked teak on a
boat. On the exterior, I always preferred mahogany, the real stuff, not
the crap that is sold most often these days as mahogany. In a cabin, I
pretty cherry or oak.

Mahogany and teak actually look a lot alike when properly finished
with a good varnish but teak is much more durable.

Mahogany and teak don't look the same to me. As for durability, I wouldn't
buy a new boat with any exterior wood. On the interior, I prefer a minimum
of visible wood...and as trim, not on surfaces that would be subject to
wear.

I had my fill of sanding and refinishing wood boats, including varnished
wood, when I was a young teen-ager.

Different strokes............remember the Woody thread?

A lot of work but when properly maintained they are beautiful

Day watching boats and planes. Calif Bill General 2 October 8th 07 11:01 PM
I'm watching... Butch Davis General 4 August 27th 06 07:01 AM
I'm watching... DSK General 5 August 26th 06 03:05 PM
Don't ask questions on boats - the Feds are watching! [email protected] General 14 April 22nd 05 04:10 AM
Don't ask questions on boats - the Feds are watching! [email protected] General 9 April 22nd 05 04:10 AM