[email protected] justwaitafrekinminute@gmail.com is offline
Senior Member

Default Watching boats in chop

On Aug 17, 1:39*pm, wrote:
On Aug 17, 1:35 pm, wrote:

On Aug 17, 1:29 pm, wrote:

Yesterday, i was at St. Andrews State PArk near Panama City, FL siting
on the jetty watching boats going in and out between the jetties. *The
tide was going out with s little wind opposing it so there was a good
chop in the channel. *It was a great venue for watching how boats are
handled in chop.
About 1/4 of the boats were clearly going too fast for conditions and
eventually they would pound too hard and slow down. *About 1/4 were
going too slow and were wallowing in the deep chop. *What did amaze me
was the number of small boats with transoms cut away so much that if
they slowed down their own wake would swamp them. *These boats had
transom tops only inches from the water and seemed to have no business
in such chop.
My Tolman is the first power boat I have ever driven so I have no
other basis for comparison. *What degree of pounding is acceptable?

According to at least one person here, getting swamped from following
seas because of a low transom is the way it should be.

I suspect HK thinks I am trying to weigh in on some controversy over
cut-away transoms but I never kept track of who was in who in that
one.
I suspect the Tolman is stronger than most Fiberglas boats and I have
never heard of this happening so his answer is useless. *Any other
answers on how much pounding is too much?- Hide quoted text -

I would say that either when the physical toll was too much, or you
were bouncing so hard you would lose control...