Default Watching boats in chop

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 22:41:09 GMT, (Richard
Casady) wrote:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:47:06 -0400, hk wrote:

Formica is just a plasticized coating over paper. It's certainly ok for
a kitchen, but on a boat, I'd want something not paper-backed.

I have been sawing, drilling, sanding, grinding Formica for more than
fifty years and I have never seen a hint of any paper. You must have
another product in mind.

Heck, I thought you googled it, but I guess not. I just did and found
plenty of references to paper, but "resin impregnated paper."
Don't think it matters, but I'm not a materials expert.
I did find that Nordhavn offers formica cladding on the interior
though. Link is too long, but you can google
"RETAIL SPECIFICATIONS - NORDHAVN 57 HULL "

wherein"

"note: If preferred, at time of order, bulkheads, cabinetry and
countertops can be specified in Formica"

--Vic

I think there's a big difference between "paper backed" and "resin
impregnated paper".

I've seen many older boats with Formica countertops and tables. They may be
nicked and scratched, but
otherwise don't show any unusual wear or aging just because they are on a
boat.

Not for the weatherdecks, for sure, but inside seems fine.

BTW ..... speaking of countertops .... I read recently that the use of
granite counters in homes is being questioned.
Granite's popularity has caused increased Radon readings in new and
renovated kitchens that have granite counters.

Eisboch

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 19:15:49 -0400, hk wrote:

I don't know what Nordhavn uses, but there are several grades and
thicknesses of Formica, including one that is more "plasticy" than "papery."

I wish the Carolina Skiffs would go to a plain white interior instead
of that speckled/mottled finish. Some like it because it supposedly
"hides" stains.
To me, the finish just looks a bunch of "stains."
Rather make my own stains, and know when I'm making them.

--Vic
HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
"hk" wrote in message

Not entirely true. Been on a couple of Lindblad's cruises, considering
another for next year. We like the smaller ships.

Will you share some of your experiences and recommendations, based on the
two that you have been on?
I have absolutely no desire to take a typical, conventional cruise vacation
to the Bahamas or similar, but something like this may be interesting.

Eisboch

What? In this snake pit? No thanks. This forum is for throwaway posts
only. We took a 14-day cruise through the Greek Isles, and some years
later, another 14-day trip through the British and Irish Isles. We'd
both like to see Alaska, and might do it next year.

Eisboch wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
. ..
Eisboch wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:02:11 -0400, hk wrote:

Which goes to show how subjective taste is. I've never liked teak on a
boat. On the exterior, I always preferred mahogany, the real stuff, not
the crap that is sold most often these days as mahogany. In a cabin, I
pretty cherry or oak.

I guess the boys over at American Marine Ltd. never got your memo.

Eisboch

If someone gave me one of their barges, I would sell it in a New York
minute.

Really? Not me. ....

http://www.grandbanks.com/images/yac...leryMain03.jpg

http://www.grandbanks.com/images/yac...kplanStdMd.jpg

http://www.grandbanks.com/images/yac...leryMain05.jpg

Eisboch

Damn nice looking floating RV's. I would take one if it had a cherry
interior.

Casady) wrote:

[...]

I am not sure, but don't they make Parker boats out of resin impregnated
cloth?

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:02:11 -0400, hk wrote:

Which goes to show how subjective taste is. I've never liked teak on a
boat. On the exterior, I always preferred mahogany, the real stuff, not
the crap that is sold most often these days as mahogany. In a cabin, I
pretty cherry or oak.

Mahogany and teak actually look a lot alike when properly finished
with a good varnish but teak is much more durable.

Real Mahogany, not the Philippine Mahogany, does not look like teak.
Actually I think it looks a lot nicer. But, teak is much more durable. My
mothers home is paneled in real Mahogany and when the ceiling dripped, the
wood took a lot more to get it nice looking than teak would of. Her house
was built in 1908, when you could get large sheets of mahogany paneling.

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:02:11 -0400, hk wrote:

JimH wrote:
On Aug 18, 12:30 am, Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 19:30:21 -0400, hk wrote:
Parker's solid fir plywood stringer system continues to give
customers the strongest, toughest and safest fiberglass boats built.
~~ snerk~~
Plywood stringers indeed. At least they're not chip board.
Parker and Grady use the same XL ply stringer material, as do many
other
manufacturers of top-quality boats. What are the stringers made of in
your floating RV?
Probably solid teak, everything else is.

There was a 60 some foot GB docked alongside the Yacht Club on the
River this weekend. Looked like a planked teak transom on a
fiberglass hull.

Nice looking boat.

Which goes to show how subjective taste is. I've never liked teak on a
boat. On the exterior, I always preferred mahogany, the real stuff, not
the crap that is sold most often these days as mahogany. In a cabin, I
pretty cherry or oak.

All the cruise ships seem to have three inch thick unfinished teak
weather decks. Where you go to run laps. They sand it once a year, and
hose it down occasionally. US battleships had four inch teak decks.
Also unfinished.

Casady

Not all battleships still have teak decks. To expensive. Friend redid the
deck of the Iowa in, I think, Sitka Spruce. Was not teak.

Day watching boats and planes. Calif Bill General 2 October 8th 07 11:01 PM
I'm watching... Butch Davis General 4 August 27th 06 07:01 AM
I'm watching... DSK General 5 August 26th 06 03:05 PM
Don't ask questions on boats - the Feds are watching! [email protected] General 14 April 22nd 05 04:10 AM
Don't ask questions on boats - the Feds are watching! [email protected] General 9 April 22nd 05 04:10 AM