noah

Default The problem with these off-topic, political threads...

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 17:01:47 -0700, "jps" wrote:

"noah" wrote in message
.. .

Don, FWIW, laser sights and silencers are strictly illegal for any
kind of hunting, and any responsible hunter would not think of using
them even if they were legal. Also FWIW, if I am bird hunting
(including waterfowl), I do not shoot them if they are "down". All
shots are taken "in flight".

Don't geese mate for life?

I don't know about other varieties, but Canada geese do mate "for
life", but if one mate dies, the other will take another mate. Nature
takes it's course.

FWIW, New York State has increased (doubled) the daily limit on Canada
geese this year because there is an overpopulation. This will lead to
starvation and increased disease if not controlled. So, hunters like
me can have goose dinner, or we can watch them die slow deaths from
other causes.

Every state in the US uses hunting as one form of population control
for wildlife. If there is a moral issue here, I would argue that it
is more humane to kill and eat wildlife than it is to allow wide
spread starvation and disease. I would also argue that it is not a
moral issue, but an emotional one.

The Canada goose and the whitetail deer are two animals that have
"benefitted" from human development and destruction of natural
habitats. With the loss of natural areas, natural predators (such as
wolves and coyotes) have been decimated or eliminated. Both of these
species eat grass and farm crops. With the expansion of human
development, the populations can expand exponentially and cause
significant problems. Hunting is one method of control.

noah
Bill Cole

Chris,
No, I am not saying it does not happen, but I do believe it is a very small
percentage. The post you made was:

"I think they should be allowed to shoot each other without a permit. I
also would not require deer to get permits to shoot the hunters either. If
you kill an animal just for the fun (sport) of it, then the same should be
done to you....period"

Based upon that post, I think you allowed your emotions to overcome your
brain. Do you think those who fish for Sport should have a hook placed in
their lip and be dragged through the water?

"Chris" wrote in message
I have never heard of anyone killing a deer and leaving them there. They
may poach an animal off season, but they always bring it home for the

meat.
Chris, sounds like he is allow his emotions to overwhelm his brain.

Reminds
me of most of Harry's posts

So because YOU have not heard of hunters killing an animal and leaving it

there
then it doesn't happen? I know several people personally who have done

such
things many times. But I guess the fact that YOU don't know anyone who

has
means that I must be imagining things, these people I know simply do not

really
exist. These are the type of people I was referring to in my post, and as
stated by others here, I think most responsible hunters would agree with

my
distaste for these people.

Chris

Bill Cole

Noah,
Harry sees everything in black and white. If he likes it, it is good. If
he doesn't like it and you do, you are evil.

"noah" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:06:25 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

jps wrote:
"noah" wrote in message

Don, FWIW, laser sights and silencers are strictly illegal for any
kind of hunting, and any responsible hunter would not think of using
them even if they were legal. Also FWIW, if I am bird hunting
(including waterfowl), I do not shoot them if they are "down". All
shots are taken "in flight".

Don't geese mate for life?

Not when our hunterboys shoot down one of the pair.

Harry, I have never seen you react so emotionally, and illogically.
I don't suppose that it would matter if I said that I love wildlife as
much, or more, than you do.

Are you familiar with hunting cultures? The respect I have is very
similar to Native American respect and spirituality concerning the
animals they killed, ate, and revered.

I am beginning to see you in a different light.

noah

Harry Krause

wrote:

jps wrote:
"noah" wrote in message

Don, FWIW, laser sights and silencers are strictly illegal for any
kind of hunting, and any responsible hunter would not think of using
them even if they were legal. Also FWIW, if I am bird hunting
(including waterfowl), I do not shoot them if they are "down". All
shots are taken "in flight".

Don't geese mate for life?

Not when our hunterboys shoot down one of the pair.

Harry, I have never seen you react so emotionally, and illogically.
I don't suppose that it would matter if I said that I love wildlife as
much, or more, than you do.

Are you familiar with hunting cultures? The respect I have is very
similar to Native American respect and spirituality concerning the
animals they killed, ate, and revered.

I am beginning to see you in a different light.

noah

You've totally missed my point, which is that I do not believe hunting
is a sport. As for Native Americans of the 19th and earlier centuries,
they hunted to survive. That's a bit different than a bunch of drunks
with shotguns going out to a field where geese have landed and blasting
the birds to kingdom come and thinking that "sport" has taken place.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Butch Ammon

[...]

Excellent post, Noah! :-)

You took a page right out of the Virginia Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries
(our local game warden's).

There is a serious overabundance of Canadian Geese. A good majority of them no
longer migrate, because of the "Bill & Buffy" type of people feed them bread
crumbs at the local park! You have to dodge goose dropping when walking on the
side walk of business developements. I have come home from playing golf with
goose poop stuck all over the spikes of my golf shoes.

Deer are getting hit by cars, because of the ever expanding suburbs in towns
and cities. Fact: Last year's deer season on that military base (Fort A.P.
Hill) here in Virginia, deer hunters took an estimated 1200 deer from the
massive herd. Even with that many deer eliminated, they didn't even put a dent
in the overpopulation!

Butch Ammon

Bill Cole

How is a bunch of drunks chumming the water and placing live bait on a hook
any more of sport?

Harry, you are one of the biggest hypocrites I have seen in this ng.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
news

wrote:

jps wrote:
"noah" wrote in message

[...]

Butch Ammon

How is a bunch of drunks chumming the water and placing live bait on a hook
any more of sport?

Harry, you are one of the biggest hypocrites I have seen in this ng.

......And I take OFFENSE to the statement about a "bunch of drunks with shotguns
going out into a field where geese have landed...."

How DARE you!!!!!!!

Hunters are now labelled alcoholics, huh? Listen, I don't drink and I don't
smoke. All I bring into a duck blind or a tree stand, is a thermos of coffee.

Easy now, okay?!?

Butch Ammon
noah

wrote:

jps wrote:
"noah" wrote in message

You've totally missed my point, which is that I do not believe hunting
is a sport. As for Native Americans of the 19th and earlier centuries,
they hunted to survive. That's a bit different than a bunch of drunks
with shotguns going out to a field where geese have landed and blasting
the birds to kingdom come and thinking that "sport" has taken place.

What you have described is so far from my experience that I don't know
how to respond. If you know such people, report them. If not, please
don't spread malicious untruth.

noah

JohnH

wrote:

jps wrote:
"noah" wrote in message

[...]

Harry, where do mute swans fall in your anti-hunting tirades? Should they be
killed? Do you think hunters are hurting the Canada geese population?

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

Is problem with O-Ring Seal or Valve Body Rural Knight General 10 December 7th 04 07:39 PM
Yahmaha Problem Frank General 0 August 19th 03 10:01 PM
back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM
96 Sea Doo Speedster Starting Problem - Odd Noise From Electrical Box? Curtis CCR General 2 July 19th 03 03:55 AM
96 Sea Doo Speedster Starting Problem - Odd Noise From ElectricalBox? David Wolfenbarger General 0 July 17th 03 02:51 AM