Gould 0738

Default The problem with these off-topic, political threads...

And I was wrong?

Sorry, that's a different question. You asked, "When did I blame the OT posts
solely on the left or the right?" When I provide a factual answer, switching
the question is a weak tactic.

You have been posting here far longer than me. Anyone can see your noise to
signal
ratio is quite high. At least I have been honest about it. Your approach has
been.."Who, me?"

Regardless, you were the one claiming innocence in this whole thing when it
was likely
you and Harry that brought it on (the demise of the NG).

Likely? What happened to certainly?
But if you think something is screwed up, just look for the closest liberal and
point fingers, right?

I don't claim "innocence." I claim, with justification, to refrain from cheap
shot name calling moreso than most.

Why do you try to make this personal all the time?

I did not. You did.

No, not true. You are the party posting comments in the newsgroup specifically
evaluating, by name, your impressions of other parties' behavior. You are the
individual who makes indirect third party comments about "old Chuck this, and
old Chuck that...." in other threads.

My failure to respond in kind doesn't mean that I don't hold an opinion of you,
just that it isn't important when discussing the subjects at hand.

Trot out the best ideas you've got. But we'll all be better off if you leave
the flames and insults at home. True, there are others here who flame
repeatedly. You have expressed your disdain for that behavior.
Why then, would you choose to emulate it?

Who knows, "with enough work, you just might come around." :-)
Bill Cole

The people who come here to discuss politics, religion, abortion or who "yo
momma" did last night, understand that they are chasing away those who come
here to discuss boats. All of this boat discussion distracts the regulars
from their real reason for coming here,

By the way, did I tell you recently that you are a "stupid liar" and a
hatemonger, whose political beliefs are right wing communism? ; )

"noah" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 01:08:43 GMT, "Bill Cole"
wrote:

noah,
You can stop posting, you can stop reading, you can point out how stupid

it
is to use rec.boats to discuss politics, you can use a filter, it does

not
matter. The people who enjoy using rec.boats as a mud pit will

continue.

If you have not figured this out yet, you eventually will. While the

name
of the group is rec.boats, that was just the reason why people started
reading the NG, the regulars are here to fight, to call names, to act

like
fools. Chuck is one of the more reasonable regulars, but when he is
reasonable his posts are ignored. If he makes a post that says George

Bush
is an idiot, it is guaranteed to generate a 200 plus responses.

You may not like my message, but don't shoot me, I am only the messenger.

Shoot you? Never!! My question was simply an open one, Bill.
Is rec.boats being whored so that self-involved people have a
political soap-box and anti-social outlet? Dr. Ruth or Dr. Phil could
staighten this out between commercials. YOU ALL NEED TO GET LAID!!!

Believe it or not, ANYONES reasonable posts are not ignored, but a lot
of people interested in boating just "move on". They don't want, and
don't have to, wade through this stuff. Read the threads.

Anyone can **** in a well, but then the water doesn't taste very good
afterwards. rec.boats is a well.
noah

"noah" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 14:38:46 GMT, "Bill Cole"
wrote:

Chuck,
Your observations are accurate, while I used the word "trash" because

it
was
in a post I had just read, the insults and name calling are equal on

both
sides of the aisle. You would have to agree that the person who likes

call people "trash" is one of the more rabid regulars. He may

occasionally
post a boating thread, he may contribute to a boating thread every now

and
then, but as he has admitted his real reason for posting here is to

put
down
the right wing trash who come here.

There is nothing you and I can do to stop this,

Yes, there is.

there are too many people
who enjoy this blood sport. It is the reason most of the regulars

read
rec.boats.

rec.boats.bloodsport?
It's not that hard to set up a group.

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
I am not complaining, I am making an observation. I have accepted

the
fact
that the NG is a venue to discuss politics and make rabid

accusations
concerning anyone who disagrees with your philosophy.

If I was moderating a NG would I would not allow the personal

attacks
and
the off topic political discussion, because it does nothing towards
building
a community. It's only purpose is to divide the community. But,

this
is
not a moderated NG, so all I am doing is making the observation

that
the
majority of the regulars come here to argue and call each other

"trash".

Do you disagree with my observation?

I think you have a specific regular in mind when you use "trash" as

the
commonly exchanged offensive moniker. My frank opinion is that you

are
quicker
to criticize the left leaning OT posters than the right.
That has to be OK, since I am quicker to criticize the right leaners

than
the
left. We should all be aware that our own bias usually shows

through.

I don't disagree entirely. I see redeeming value in most of the

posters,
from
both (or all) sides of most issues provided they have a genuine

interest
in
boats and boating. There have been several instances of posters who

appear
*only* to fire off anonymous flames and, when anybody calls them on

this
behavior they say "I could give a rip about boating, I'm only here

because
you
have some GD liberals (or conservatives) that require my enlightened
flaming."

You can't have a viable boating NG if a large percentage of the
participants
don't own a boat, (or own a boat but never use it), and don't care

aboat
boating one way or the other. What are these people going to talk

about?
Certainly won't be boats or boating.

Boaters have the option to post on topic or off. Non-boaters have

nothing
of
substance to contribute on topic, beyond the "I'm looking for a boat

and
need
opinions on.........." type of thread.

Anybody who feels like a helpless victim of the NG content should

consider
bringing more on-topic ideas to the forum.

One of the reasons you don't see more "pros" posting here is that

the
first
time anybody in the engine business or brokerage business or

accessory
and
supply business mentions a product or service that they perform and

are
therefore
extremely familiar with, one of two or three "usual suspects" will

get
on
that
person's case about spamming the NG. Were you around when Dave Brown
posted
here? There's a good example. Very good outboard mechanic, and a
gentleman.
Everytime he said "boo" he was subjected to a relentless onslaught

of
flaming
from an individual poster who had a low opinion of a brand of

outboard
motors
he sold in his shop and who had a differing opinion of the
technology associated with those engines.
The flaming went well beyond the engine technology, with Dave's

personal
morals
and ethics being challenged because he would dare sell such a

"defective"
product.
He must have been called "spammer" a thousand times. One poster

announced
an
intention to drive Dave Brown from the NG, and crowed about

"victory"
when
it
was finally accomplished.

Even Peggie Hall has had to endure some
harsh, mean spirited, criticism for offering advise on her areas of
expertise.
Has always been an odd double standard: If you work as a truck

driver,
radio
repairman, shoe salesman, plant manager, or accountant, your opinion

on
some
technical aspect of boating is welcomed by all. If you actually make

living
in the field and dare to post anything based on your professional
experience,
expect to be
loudly criticized for "spamming."

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Most of the on topic posts are done by newbie's stumbling in.

They
have
no
idea rec.boats is all about politics. The regulars are the ones

who
turn
the on topic posts into off topic posts and start the majority

of
the
off
topic threads.

How many of the 45 on-topic threads did you originate?

The regulars can't complain about a lack of on-topic threads if

they
don't
start any.

Butch Ammon

Once I got to my spot, behind a small island, I heard the "first
flight" honking it's way down the river behind me, and popped the
leader. Small pleasures keep the idiots happy. )

I've never hunted goose in a field, but it sounds like less work and
more fun. Enjoy!

noah

Hey Noah,

Goose hunting in a farmers field is way better than on water from a boat.
Instead of a dozen or so geese flying in, you'll see 100-200 geese on a field!
They are everywhere and just standing around, eating up crops and pieces of
corn kernels and creating a nuisance not to mention a mess to the field.

Take care.

Butch Ammon
Harry Krause

Butch Ammon wrote:

Once I got to my spot, behind a small island, I heard the "first
flight" honking it's way down the river behind me, and popped the
leader. Small pleasures keep the idiots happy. )

I've never hunted goose in a field, but it sounds like less work and
more fun. Enjoy!

noah

Hey Noah,

Goose hunting in a farmers field is way better than on water from a boat.
Instead of a dozen or so geese flying in, you'll see 100-200 geese on a field!
They are everywhere and just standing around, eating up crops and pieces of
corn kernels and creating a nuisance not to mention a mess to the field.

Take care.

Butch Ammon

It's sad to watch you devolve, Butch, truly it is. It takes a truly
brave man to shoot a goose.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Jim

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Butch Ammon wrote:

Once I got to my spot, behind a small island, I heard the "first
flight" honking it's way down the river behind me, and popped the
leader. Small pleasures keep the idiots happy. )

I've never hunted goose in a field, but it sounds like less work and
more fun. Enjoy!

noah

Hey Noah,

Goose hunting in a farmers field is way better than on water from a boat.
Instead of a dozen or so geese flying in, you'll see 100-200 geese on a field!
They are everywhere and just standing around, eating up crops and pieces of
corn kernels and creating a nuisance not to mention a mess to the field.

Take care.

Butch Ammon

It's sad to watch you devolve, Butch, truly it is. It takes a truly
brave man to shoot a goose.

OMG. It is a sport, just like fishing.

I catching a fish and eating it is different in your eyes?

Do you eat meat Harry?

Your PITA membership is up for renewal. Eh?

Bill Cole

It sounds to me that Harry only wants people to enjoy the same things he
enjoys. He does not hunt, so you should not hunt. He enjoy fishing, hence
it is ok. He votes democratic, if you vote Republican you are trash.
Sounds very simple.

"Butch Ammon" wrote in message
Harry,
It truly takes a brave man to catch and kill a fish.

Exactly....

I remember sociology class in high school and anthropology. Man is either

hunter or a gatherer. I discovered what hunting is all about and enjoy it

and
enjoy being out among nature too.

I don't understand how I could "devolve" - that doesn't make sense. I go
fishing and eat fish. I now go hunting and eat the meat too. Depending

on how
it's prepared, goose breasts taste exactly like a Thanksgiving turkey -

except
it's all dark meat.

I think Harry will really be saddened to hear that I went to the seminar

at
Fort A.P.Hill here in Virginia and got my deer permit for the base this

coming
season. Venison steaks will be for dinner!

Butch Ammon

Gould 0738

I think Harry will really be saddened to hear that I went to the seminar at
Fort A.P.Hill here in Virginia and got my deer permit for the base this
coming
season. Venison steaks will be for dinner!

Butch Ammon

Deer hunting? Maybe your deer are bigger, meaner, and warier back east but
shooting a deer out west here anymore is like gunning down the neighbor's pet
goat.
Darn things are all semi-tame. They are so acclimated to people that about half
of them come up and beg for snacks when they see human beings. There was
probably something to the "sport" at one time, but most of the deer around here
are not much bigger than (and no more clever than) a typical petting-zoo goat.
Jim

"Bill Cole" wrote in message
It sounds to me that Harry only wants people to enjoy the same things he
enjoys. He does not hunt, so you should not hunt. He enjoy fishing, hence
it is ok. He votes democratic, if you vote Republican you are trash.
Sounds very simple.

As I said before, Harry lives in his own black and white world...no room for gray.

In his little mind you are either with him or against him.

A sad world to live in.

Butch Ammon

I think Harry will really be saddened to hear that I went to the seminar at
Fort A.P.Hill here in Virginia and got my deer permit for the base this
coming
season. Venison steaks will be for dinner!

Butch Ammon

Deer hunting? Maybe your deer are bigger, meaner, and warier back east but
shooting a deer out west here anymore is like gunning down the neighbor's pet
goat.
Darn things are all semi-tame. They are so acclimated to people that about
half
of them come up and beg for snacks when they see human beings. There was
probably something to the "sport" at one time, but most of the deer around
here
are not much bigger than (and no more clever than) a typical petting-zoo
goat.

Some of the deer in Virginia (western part around the Blue Ridge Mts and
Skyline drive areas) are HUGE... Massive 16 point bucks that can easily weigh
as much as a full grown man. The rest of Virginia has ordinary, common, deer
herds. They are not tame, but are starting to venture more and more into urban
areas and trash people's gardens - and get hit by cars!

I don't exactly "shoot" deer, as in using a rifle - I don't own a rifle. But I
have a big compound bow with 65 lbs of pull to it, and merely launch an arrow
at a deer. It's more sporty that way - you have to get REAL CLOSE to a deer
too.

Butch Ammon

Is problem with O-Ring Seal or Valve Body Rural Knight General 10 December 7th 04 07:39 PM
Yahmaha Problem Frank General 0 August 19th 03 10:01 PM
back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM
96 Sea Doo Speedster Starting Problem - Odd Noise From Electrical Box? Curtis CCR General 2 July 19th 03 03:55 AM
96 Sea Doo Speedster Starting Problem - Odd Noise From ElectricalBox? David Wolfenbarger General 0 July 17th 03 02:51 AM