Gould 0738

Default The problem with these off-topic, political threads...

Rec.boats isn't purely a spectator sport.

There is a disturbing lack of civility in many of the discussions, both OT and
ON.
That's a greater problem than the fact that the conversation drifts off topic.

We have at least one poster who takes pride in the fact that he only comes here
cause trouble, and then immediately blames that on individuals holding opposite
philosophical viewpoints.

It is a bit puzzling how, so often, the people who post the loudest protests
about the signal to noise ratio and the lack of significant boating content in
the NG never contribute any boating content *to* the group.

The content of the group is configured by what we all put in- what we take out
or choose to filter has no effect on the overall character of the group.

Aren't enough boating discussions? Start one.