Curtis CCR

Default 96 Sea Doo Speedster Starting Problem - Odd Noise From Electrical Box?

(Jason) wrote in message . com...
Hoping someone has some insight on this problem before I head to the
dealer. I just took my 96 Sea Doo Speeder out of winterization and
attempted to start the engines after performing normal maintenance.
While hitting the start button a loud buzz comes from what sounds like
the electrical box. This happens when I try either engine. Then I
hear another click from the box after about 10 seconds. Here is what
I've done so far...

- Ensured the batteries where completely charged
- Checked all fuses and electrical connections
- Replaced sparks plugs and confirmed connections
- Checked that flywheels aren't stuck

Do the engines turn over when this happens? There is a relay that
powers up the system when you hit either of the start buttons. This
is the relay you hear clicking off after 10 to 20 seconds (and your
gauge lights go out). This relay may be chattering (sounds like a
buzz).

It may be a bad relay, or you actually have bad batteries. Did you
test them under load? Just checking the voltage won't tell you much
about their health.

You may have one bad battery that is causing a problem under a
starting load. The two batteries in the Speedster paralleled together
in the electic box. Both batteries run everything and start both
engines. So one bad battery can keep the the other one from being
able to do anything.

If it is one or two bad batteries, you are probably hearing one or
more relays chatter when you try to start. New batteries will
probably fix it.

If its a bad relay, it is probably one of the common relays that
powers the whole system, as opposed to one of the start relays (since
you hear it when cranking either engine). Do you hear this buzz when
you connect the DESS lanyard, or only when pushing the either of the
red start buttons?

I have a service manual for the 96 jet boats around here somewhere.
If I can find it, I'll look for more information and get back to you
if anything stands out.
Jason

Turns out it was the batteries (whew!). Guess I should have checked
the voltage before putting them in since 1 batt was at 4V and the
other at 9V. I remember replacing these from a battery store @ a
pretty good price. Guess you get what you pay for. Picked up a
couple heavy duty sealed ones and everything ran great for a perfect
night on the Niagara River.

Thanks for the advice everyone... have a great summer!
Jason

back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM
96 Sea Doo Speedster Starting Problem - Odd Noise From ElectricalBox? David Wolfenbarger General 0 July 17th 03 02:51 AM
Problem starting Evinrude dmp General 9 June 30th 03 04:28 PM