Don White

Default The problem with these off-topic, political threads...

I don't see where it's a sport anymore.
If your family needs the food...that's one thing, but to sit on the edge of
a field and blast away at a flock of geese walking around resting or trying
to find feed......seems a bit like shooting fish in a barrell.
Same with deer hunting. With a high powered rifle and scope...not to mention
ATV's & Ski Doos what chance does the deer have.
What's next?...laser rifles that are silent? The 'great white hunter' could
blast holes in dozens of the beasts before they are scared off. The
Beatles said it all....'hey Bunglow Bill what did you kill'

Gould 0738 wrote in message
I think Harry will really be saddened to hear that I went to the seminar

at
Fort A.P.Hill here in Virginia and got my deer permit for the base this
coming
season. Venison steaks will be for dinner!

Butch Ammon

Deer hunting? Maybe your deer are bigger, meaner, and warier back east but
shooting a deer out west here anymore is like gunning down the neighbor's

pet
goat.
Darn things are all semi-tame. They are so acclimated to people that about

half
of them come up and beg for snacks when they see human beings. There was
probably something to the "sport" at one time, but most of the deer around

here
are not much bigger than (and no more clever than) a typical petting-zoo

goat.

Gould 0738

I don't exactly "shoot" deer, as in using a rifle - I don't own a rifle. But
have a big compound bow with 65 lbs of pull to it, and merely launch an arrow
at a deer. It's more sporty that way - you have to get REAL CLOSE to a deer

too.

Yes, that does sound a little more sporting
than blasting a 75-pound Bambi from 200 yards away using a high-powered rifle
and scope. :-)
bb

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 02:49:53 GMT, "Jim"
wrote:

I challenge
you to prove me wrong.

You're not worth the effort.

bb

Harry Krause

Gould 0738 wrote:

I don't exactly "shoot" deer, as in using a rifle - I don't own a rifle. But
have a big compound bow with 65 lbs of pull to it, and merely launch an arrow
at a deer. It's more sporty that way - you have to get REAL CLOSE to a deer

too.

Yes, that does sound a little more sporting
than blasting a 75-pound Bambi from 200 yards away using a high-powered rifle
and scope. :-)

Where's the "sport" part? Does Bambi shoot back?

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

NH_/\)_

Just before I located to FL the Deer in MI were having
a epidemic of brain worm -- I think this is what its called.
the DNR was cutting back on who could get a license and
they were warning the public. I seen one go mad just before
we left, they loose all sense of direction and run in circles
until they drop it was sad. I called the DNR out to put the
poor thing out of its misery.

Has there been any reports of this into your state?
or states, if anyone knows.

NH__/)_

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

NH_/\)_

Hey call your local fish and game and find out.

NH_/)_

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

Naw. Around here, it is the "great white hunters" who lose all sense of
direction, run around in circles and, occasionally, shoot each other.

Question: does a hunter need a permit to bag another hunter?

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Chris

Question: does a hunter need a permit to bag another hunter?

I think they should be allowed to shoot each other without a permit. I also
would not require deer to get permits to shoot the hunters either. If you kill
an animal just for the fun (sport) of it, then the same should be done to
you....period.
Mark Browne

Gould 0738 wrote in message
[...]

Isn't it wonderful? We overdevelop the earth and take away the habitat
of all sorts of wild critters, some of whom, like geese, then have to
forage wherever they can, and then we get aggravated when they swoop
down on a farmer's field to steal a little grain. So the farmer calls
some brave men with shotguns in, and they blast the geese to smithereens.

It takes one brave man to shoot a goose, a duck or a deer. At least in
fishing, one can catch and release. Not so easy to shoot and release, eh?

Once in a while, I'll catch a glimpse of some "hunting show" in which a
great white hunter will sit up in a tree with a gun or a bow and wait
for a harmless critter to walk into range. Then the guy will blast it
and practically get orgasmic when the animal falls over dead. What a
thrill, eh? Bubba shot himself one of them there dangerous elk! What a

man.

You eat meat or you don't. It's just that simple. Paying a butcher to kill a
critter for you works out the same way; you just loose the connection
between something dying and you eating. It does not change the fact that you
are eating animal flesh! Where do you suppose that pink chunk in the
butchers showcase came from?

Most of nature does not seem to have any problem with this - humans have
enough food and spare time to get worked up about it. If it bothers you,
don't kill and eat critters. And don't pay others to kill them in your name.

Some people have come to terms with these facts and are happy carnivores -
deal with it.

Mark Browne
PS Do you know how many animal parts are found in a box of cereal? Almost
everything you eat is pretty gross while it is being made - if you could see
how most of your food is made, you would not eat it!

Bill Cole

Harry, Do you want to explain why you find it amusing to catch a fish, work
him almost to death reeling him in, rip the hook out of his mouth and the
"release him". It is estimated that less than half of the released fish
live. The least you can do after traumatizing the damn fish is eat him.

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

Harry Krause

Gould 0738 wrote in message
[...]

Eating or not eating meat is not the subject here. It is the concept
that shooting animals is some sort of sport. I am not a vegetarian. I am
not squeamish about going to the meat counter at the supermarket and
buying food.

Going to the woods with a rifle or bow and sitting in ambush for a dumb
animal is not sport, it is slaughter. Calling it a sport is an absurdity.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Is problem with O-Ring Seal or Valve Body Rural Knight General 10 December 7th 04 07:39 PM
Yahmaha Problem Frank General 0 August 19th 03 10:01 PM
back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM
96 Sea Doo Speedster Starting Problem - Odd Noise From Electrical Box? Curtis CCR General 2 July 19th 03 03:55 AM
96 Sea Doo Speedster Starting Problem - Odd Noise From ElectricalBox? David Wolfenbarger General 0 July 17th 03 02:51 AM