noah

Default The problem with these off-topic, political threads...

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 17:01:47 -0700, "jps" wrote:

"noah" wrote in message
.. .

Don, FWIW, laser sights and silencers are strictly illegal for any
kind of hunting, and any responsible hunter would not think of using
them even if they were legal. Also FWIW, if I am bird hunting
(including waterfowl), I do not shoot them if they are "down". All
shots are taken "in flight".

Don't geese mate for life?

I don't know about other varieties, but Canada geese do mate "for
life", but if one mate dies, the other will take another mate. Nature
takes it's course.

FWIW, New York State has increased (doubled) the daily limit on Canada
geese this year because there is an overpopulation. This will lead to
starvation and increased disease if not controlled. So, hunters like
me can have goose dinner, or we can watch them die slow deaths from
other causes.

Every state in the US uses hunting as one form of population control
for wildlife. If there is a moral issue here, I would argue that it
is more humane to kill and eat wildlife than it is to allow wide
spread starvation and disease. I would also argue that it is not a
moral issue, but an emotional one.

The Canada goose and the whitetail deer are two animals that have
"benefitted" from human development and destruction of natural
habitats. With the loss of natural areas, natural predators (such as
wolves and coyotes) have been decimated or eliminated. Both of these
species eat grass and farm crops. With the expansion of human
development, the populations can expand exponentially and cause
significant problems. Hunting is one method of control.

noah