Default I hope my next load of fuel comes from Norway

Even those of us who usually burn B20 are still using 80% dino-diesel.
Most of the crude oil the refiners use to create gasoline and diesel
comes from places that are explicitly unfriendly to the US, (and
according to the following article the Bush Administration is
concerned that some of those sources are bankrolling huge amounts of
capital for an eventual destabilizing financial assualt on the US
economy. It's not too late for Russia or China to win the final battle
in the Cold War).

However, also acording to the following article there is a source for
crude oil that takes a very enlightened approach to using its oil
wealth. The citizens of this country earn a per capita income (not
"family income", but per capita) of $65,509 per year, spend a maximum
of $200 per yar for health care, are in better physical shape and
enjoy a longer life expectancy than most Americans.

I hope that the next time I buy fuel, the crude oil comes from Norway.
(Probably won't, though).

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...=1&cs et=true

HK HK is offline

Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

Norway is far more advanced in most ways than the United States.

The citizens of this country earn a per capita income (not
"family income", but per capita) of $65,509 per year, spend a maximum
of $200 per yar for health care

Go do some homework on what the taxes are like. Personal property, sales
(VAT) and income are quite high.

When quoting figures it's a bit more important to be citing NET figures.

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 12:03:43 -0500, HK wrote:

Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

Yeah, they have enough sense to drill for oil in their back yard.
HK HK is offline

Bill Kearney wrote:
The citizens of this country earn a per capita income (not
"family income", but per capita) of $65,509 per year, spend a maximum
of $200 per yar for health care

Go do some homework on what the taxes are like. Personal property, sales
(VAT) and income are quite high.

When quoting figures it's a bit more important to be citing NET figures.

So are the direct benefits.

Norway has what the sick world needs, a metanoia, a conversion, a
reappraisal of our whole attitude towards life, accompanied by a
fundamental change in the climate in which people and things are
appraised. We need to radically change our culture to reject the
dehumanization of man so implicit in what "drives" our society in this
country today.

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 12:45:53 -0500, HK wrote:

Bill Kearney wrote:
The citizens of this country earn a per capita income (not
"family income", but per capita) of $65,509 per year, spend a maximum
of $200 per yar for health care

Go do some homework on what the taxes are like. Personal property, sales
(VAT) and income are quite high.

When quoting figures it's a bit more important to be citing NET figures.

So are the direct benefits.

Norway has what the sick world needs, a metanoia, a conversion, a
reappraisal of our whole attitude towards life, accompanied by a
fundamental change in the climate in which people and things are
appraised. We need to radically change our culture to reject the
dehumanization of man so implicit in what "drives" our society in this
country today.

....and get smart enough to drill for the oil in our back yard, before China
does.

On Nov 21, 9:25�am, "Bill Kearney" wkearney-99@hot-mail-com wrote:
The citizens of this country earn a per capita income (not
"family income", but per capita) of $65,509 per year, spend a maximum
of $200 per yar for health care

Go do some homework on what the taxes are like. �Personal property, sales
(VAT) and income are quite high.

When quoting figures it's a bit more important to be citing NET figures.

You are absolutely correct.

Without going through all the math, however, would it seem like an
economy where the average income is $65,509 per person could take a
larger tax bite than an economy where the average income is 40-some
thousand per *family* and still leave a pretty decent sum left over?

I would be surprised if the net figures for Norway were substantially
below those for the US, particularly when considering that most
families earning only 40-some thousand per year in the US will have no
health insurance provided by such low wage employers. Those who can
afford it will also be paying $500-$1000 per month, or more, to insure
a family of four in the US. Out of pocket health costs are limited to
$200 per person per year in Norway, and they are a very healthy and
long lived population so it's tough to criticize the apparent quality
of health care available there.

Like I say, I'd rather send my crude oil money to Norway than to Saudi
Arabia, Russia, or China.

But I'd rather live in the US than in Norway. Warts and all. :-)

Bill Kearney wrote:
[...]

Not just the oil. One of the largest countries in the EU with just about
4.5 million residents. Lots of natural recourses. The $200 for medical is
very misleading as they have an almost 8% tax rate for medical insurance on
top of a 50% income tax rate.

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:00:12 -0800 (PST), Chuck Gould
wrote:

[...]

Just think, most of the good stuff happened after the country drilled for
its own oil.

"Norway's emergence as a major oil and gas producer in the mid-1970s
transformed the economy. Large sums of investment capital poured into the
offshore oil sector, leading to greater increases in Norwegian production
costs and wages than in the rest of Western Europe up to the time of the
global recovery of the mid-1980s. The influx of oil revenue also permitted
Norway to expand an already extensive social welfare system. Norway has
established a state petroleum fund that is expected to exceed $387 billion
by the end of December 2007."

(http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/3421.htm#econ)

Maybe we should get smart and do the same.

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
[...]

In real purchasing power per capita (PPP) Norway is $42,364 as compared to
the US at $41,399 (2005)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per_capita_income