andrew stevenson

Default Norway guide

Anyone know if there is a Norway guide yet ?

Andy Stevenson

Dave Manby

Olaf Obsomner, Olli Grau and others in Germany are working on one at
present. Not sure when publication will be they have the problem that as
soon as they print more rivers will be discovered!

In message , andrew
stevenson writes

--
Dave Manby
Details of the Coruh river and my book "Many Rivers To Run" at

chris saffell

I sympathise with their predicament - indeed great new rivers will be
disocvered in Norway for many years to come.

I wonder (and it may be a bit far fetched) if there is some sort of a
solution whereby someone publishes an expandable / customisable guidebook.

It would have all the stock rivers in there, but there would also be a
section where the owners could insert new pages. This might amount to some
sort of plastic wallet system. I know from my own experience what a pain it
can be to have a guidebook and 50 loose sheets of paper, printed form the
internet, with write-ups of new rivers, or updates. they soon get mangled or
lost. Plus they are invaraible space ineffecient as they are a print out of
a web page, leaving half the paper blank.

As new rivers get written up, someone (?not sure who?) could put the write
up into a nice format that will print out at the right size to fit the book
and put on the internet

I realise that this would be open to abuse (people could not buy the book,
but still download the updates). But I think this would be a small number of
people as: 1. most paddlers have enough respect for the guidebook writers
that they dont want to ripp them off (how many people have ever photocopied
a book - i suspect few). 2. i think people would really value a book that
they could customise themselves. 3. it would mean an end to passenger
footwells full of loose sheet paper (or is that just me).

just a thought.

tom saffell

Dave Manby wrote in message
Olaf Obsomner, Olli Grau and others in Germany are working on one at
present. Not sure when publication will be they have the problem that as
soon as they print more rivers will be discovered!

In message , andrew
stevenson writes
Anyone know if there is a Norway guide yet ?

Andy Stevenson

--
Dave Manby
Details of the Coruh river and my book "Many Rivers To Run" at
http://www.dmanby.demon.co.uk

Dave Manby

Years ago Tony Ford published a guide to the Austrian Alps. This was
real low tech with photocopied pages and put together in a half foolscap
size ring binder. In modern terms Foolscap is almost A4 so it was an A5
ring binder. I still have a copy with river notes of extra rivers
inserted.

In message , chris
saffell writes

Dave Manby wrote in message
Olaf Obsomner, Olli Grau and others in Germany are working on one at
present. Not sure when publication will be they have the problem that as
soon as they print more rivers will be discovered!

In message , andrew
stevenson writes
Anyone know if there is a Norway guide yet ?

Andy Stevenson

--
Dave Manby
Details of the Coruh river and my book "Many Rivers To Run" at
http://www.dmanby.demon.co.uk

--
Dave Manby
Details of the Coruh river and my book "Many Rivers To Run" at
http://www.dmanby.demon.co.uk

CHRISTOPHER MARK BELTON

not exactly about paddelling but the main text on cave rescue is available
free and online: http://www.draftlight.net/lifeonaline/

if only all guides were available this way and free.