Default Lake Lanier drying up?

On Oct 16, 1:58 pm, "CalifBill" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

On Oct 15, 8:34 pm, "CalifBill" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

On Oct 15, 10:13 am, wrote:
On Oct 15, 10:06 am, "Don White" wrote:

"HK" wrote in message

CNN had a feature on Lake Lanier this morning. Apparently water
levels are
way, way down, and if there isn't some serious protracted rain
soon,
a goodly portion of Georgia will be facing drought.

Meanwhile, the video showed the shorelines of the lake line with
dead
shellfish and fish, left behind as the water receded.

What's the impact on boating?

Good thing Waylon doesn't boat much. Shouldn't affect him.

Is Lanier a man made lake?

Yes, it's dammed. It's big, though, 900 miles of shoreline, at least
when it was full, it's down about 12' now. The good thing is it's
deep.

It is not deep if 12' decrease puts it in the condition it is in. Deep
in
California is like Oroville. Down 200' and still parts of the lake are
400'
deep.- Hide quoted text -

Deep is a relative term, dip****.

Relative to you deep****.- Hide quoted text -

Okay, I'll give you an out, Mr. Brilliant. If "deep" is NOT a relative
term, then how much IS "deep"?

On Oct 16, 11:25 am, HK wrote:
Hope you guys have water to drink this winter

On 16 Oct, 11:38, LoogyPicker wrote:
So do I! You have to go pretty deep with a well here to get *good*
drinking water.

If your city is anything like mine, you'll just have to do without.
They won't allow you to put in a well, even on your own property. They
call it "stealing" the city's water (the city's term, not mine).
We lived for months after Katrina without running water to drink,
bathe, or flush. Of the modern conveniences I missed most, that was at
the top of my list.

Rick

On Oct 16, 2:29 pm, Tim wrote:
wrote:

From Lake Lanier Army Corp of Engineers website:

Constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in the 1950's, Lake
Lanier is a multi-purpose lake that provides for flood protection,
power production, water supply, navigation, recreation and fish and
wildlife management.

Same way with Lake Carlyle . that is with exception of power
production.

It is fed by the Kaskaskia river, and it's level has dropped
considerably. it is a huge man made lake and is about 4 mi wide and 10
mi long. But in many places the shore line is rather shallow. in some
cases un aprochable with a typical runabout up to 150 ft from shore.
But when the lake is full, these spots are usually navagational within
50-75 ft.

Still plenty deep in the middle, but unhandy for reaching beach lines.

Lake Lanier is fed by two rivers, each runoff from the mountains, so
there is a LOT of water being pushed down, normally. Because of
downstream concerns plus Atlanta's thirst, they are still, even with
drought conditions releasing anywhere from 600 to 900 million gallons
per day. Lanier is a really cool lake, because of the mountainous
conditions, there are many coves and what used to be creek inlets to
explore. How far is your lake down? Lanier is down 12 feet (so far).

On Oct 15, 6:41 pm, HK wrote:
Jack Redington wrote:
HK wrote:
CNN had a feature on Lake Lanier this morning. Apparently water levels
are way, way down, and if there isn't some serious protracted rain soon,
a goodly portion of Georgia will be facing drought.

Meanwhile, the video showed the shorelines of the lake line with dead
shellfish and fish, left behind as the water receded.

What's the impact on boating?

While I no longer boat on Lanier, from the news many ramps are closed.
At the present time that lake is about 12 below full pool. At least that
was the last time I checked. Projections do not look good.

Georgia has been in drought conditions all of this year. Spring rains
were slight and every month has been a short. So it is not really news
anymore. Lanier has several problems when rain is short. For one the
drainage basin is small for a lake it's size. And about 6 million people
in the Atlanta area depend on it. There is also the fact this this lake
is under the Army Corps managment. At present they are letting out about
twice the amount of water that is coming in. This has alot to do with
the tri-state water war that has been going on since I have been here
(about 10 years)

The Corps has stated that they are keeping the discharge rate as it is
to protect some shellfish that need it in in Florida. That being where
the water hit the ocean. Alabama also uses/needs this water. Thus the
tri-state angle on the water resources war.

As far as impact on boating - Some ramps are closed and there are
hazzards to navigation that would not normally exist. But that is what
happens when water gets lower them normal.

If you are really interested:

http://lanier.sam.usace.army.mil/Pre...07_BoatersCaut...

Capt Jack R..

I was looking earlier for a current aerial or low satellite photo of the
lake, but then I was distracted by work. With all the dead marine life
now on the edges of the lake, there must be an insect and rat problem.

I don't pay attention to Atlanta weather patterns. Is there a winter
rainy season? If not, then the city may be reduced to Homeland Security
bringing in water trucks.- Hide quoted text -

Harry, here's a URL. Look on the left margin, and you'll see a link to
aerial pics for Alatoona and Lanier.
http://www.ajc.com/search/content/me..._1009_web.html

HK HK is offline

wrote:
On Oct 15, 6:41 pm, HK wrote:
Jack Redington wrote:
HK wrote:
[...]

Thanks...those photos present the problem well.

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 15, 6:41 pm, HK wrote:
Jack Redington wrote:
HK wrote:
[...]

Looks like a hot market for mooring buoys.

wrote:
On Oct 16, 12:20 pm, Larry wrote:
wrote in news:1192545752.481641.277740
@e34g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

Could you please do a little research before you make such

ignorant
statements?

http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html

Found this handy webpage to assess drought conditions across the
USA. I can see why the lakes in the South are drying up!

Larry
--
You can tell there's extremely
intelligent life in the universe

It seems that just about every summer, just before fall, they start
worrying about water, and *usually* the fall/winter rains come and
negates those issues. But the last couple of years were different, not
much rain in winter, either. We'll see, I guess. I remember being in
the S.F. bay area and while I missed the rationing, there was a big
effort to get people to minimize water usage. They're trying here, but
outside of the criminal aspects of it, not very many people are doing
much to go above and beyond.

No, this is not the "normal" drought. We have a rain deficit of 30" for
this year. If you look at the map this is an Exceptional drought.

wrote in message

ps.com...

On Oct 15, 8:34 pm, "CalifBill" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

"HK" wrote in message

[...]

While you were gone, it wasn't totally peaceful around here, but it wasn't
too bad. Someone thought you may have been ill. It appears you weren't.

But, would you consider going back to wherever you were, even if it was
PICKING BOOGERS!

On Oct 16, 3:59 pm, "JimH" ask wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Oct 15, 7:53 pm, "JimH" ask wrote:

Let Lanier dry up. After all, it is nothing more than a
recreational
lake.........correct?

First and foremost, I believe, it is a reservoir.

Bottled water.

Well, I don't much like Atlanta, but I don't have contempt for it. I do
like the Georgia coast.

Now, Texas...that's another matter. What an awful place.

I don't have any contempt for Atlanta either.............but the water is
ours, not theirs. Believe me, this is becoming more and more of an
issue.......with Canada in the mix also as they have an equal stake on
the
fresh water held in those Great Lakes.- Hide quoted text -

Holy cripe! Are you really saying that because you live in proximity
of a body of water, that only those in that proximity is entitlted to
use it??

When it comes to non recreational use.........yes. You get none of
it.....none! Go drill a well if you need water. The Great Lakes water
belongs to the surrounding US States and Canadian Provinces. So solly
Challie.- Hide quoted text -

That's absurd. Please show what laws, or treaties you've gotten that
information from. You do understand that rain water from places many
places in the country, some quite far away flows into the great lakes,
don't you? Again, what IS the proximity? Five miles? 100? The rain may
have come from 1000's of miles away. Are those people that are in,
let's say Washington state entitled to *your* water when a storm picks
up moisture from the pacific and rains onto great lakes water sheds?
Are you not entitled to any other water sources because you are in
proximity to one of the great lakes?