Default Lake Lanier drying up?

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 16:04:45 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
roups.com...
On Oct 15, 7:44?am, wrote:

So then you must agree it is OK to alter the course of nature in order
to serve the growing human population?- Hide quoted text -

Careful, that statement is getting pretty close to recognizing the
possibility that a growing human population *could* "alter the course
of nature".

I have an acquaintance who tells me that we don't need to think about finite
resources because god will take care of everything.

Yippee, let's get a good religious flame war started!

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 17:11:39 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
On Oct 15, 12:04 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Oct 15, 7:44?am, wrote:

So then you must agree it is OK to alter the course of nature in order
to serve the growing human population?- Hide quoted text -

Careful, that statement is getting pretty close to recognizing the
possibility that a growing human population *could* "alter the course
of nature".

I have an acquaintance who tells me that we don't need to think about
finite
resources because god will take care of everything.

If I beleived you I would say your friend is an idiot... God takes
care of those who help themselves. Reminds me of an old story.

If you believed me? Why wouldn't you? Is it because you've never met anyone
like the person I mentioned?

Trolling, trolling, over the ocean blue...

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 17:54:51 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 08:54:02 -0700, Chuck Gould
wrote:

On Oct 15, 7:44?am, wrote:

So then you must agree it is OK to alter the course of nature in order
to serve the growing human population?- Hide quoted text -

Careful, that statement is getting pretty close to recognizing the
possibility that a growing human population *could* "alter the course
of nature".

Then slowing down the rate of growth may be a cost effective way of
dealing
with the problem, as opposed to making Al Gore more wealthy?

It would be impossible for it NOT to help, but it's a touchy subject. Zero
population growth? Watch the reactions to that in subsequent messages.

The emphasis was on cost effective means of dealing with a problem, as
opposed to sending money to Al Gore.

'Zero population gowth' is your term, not mine. I'm not trying to engender
any reaction to that in any messages. But, it looks like you are.

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 18:04:27 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
egroups.com...
On Oct 15, 7:44?am, wrote:

So then you must agree it is OK to alter the course of nature in order
to serve the growing human population?- Hide quoted text -

Careful, that statement is getting pretty close to recognizing the
possibility that a growing human population *could* "alter the course
of nature".

I have an acquaintance who tells me that we don't need to think about
finite
resources because god will take care of everything.

Yippee, let's get a good religious flame war started!

Nah....it's just one example of the various excuses people will use for
doing nothing to help the world outside their own home. There are others
besides religion.

Good. End, hopefully, of discussion.
Tim Tim is offline

HK wrote:

Well, that should warm the hearts of boat-buying bargain hunters...lotsa
boats for sale. Just add water.

LOL!

I like that....

HK wrote:
CNN had a feature on Lake Lanier this morning. Apparently water levels
are way, way down, and if there isn't some serious protracted rain soon,
a goodly portion of Georgia will be facing drought.

Meanwhile, the video showed the shorelines of the lake line with dead
shellfish and fish, left behind as the water receded.

What's the impact on boating?

While I no longer boat on Lanier, from the news many ramps are closed.
At the present time that lake is about 12 below full pool. At least that
was the last time I checked. Projections do not look good.

Georgia has been in drought conditions all of this year. Spring rains
were slight and every month has been a short. So it is not really news
anymore. Lanier has several problems when rain is short. For one the
drainage basin is small for a lake it's size. And about 6 million people
in the Atlanta area depend on it. There is also the fact this this lake
is under the Army Corps managment. At present they are letting out about
twice the amount of water that is coming in. This has alot to do with
the tri-state water war that has been going on since I have been here
(about 10 years)

The Corps has stated that they are keeping the discharge rate as it is
to protect some shellfish that need it in in Florida. That being where
the water hit the ocean. Alabama also uses/needs this water. Thus the
tri-state angle on the water resources war.

As far as impact on boating - Some ramps are closed and there are
hazzards to navigation that would not normally exist. But that is what
happens when water gets lower them normal.

If you are really interested:

http://lanier.sam.usace.army.mil/Pre...ersCaution.pdf

Capt Jack R..

HK HK is offline

Jack Redington wrote:
HK wrote:
[...]

I was looking earlier for a current aerial or low satellite photo of the
lake, but then I was distracted by work. With all the dead marine life
now on the edges of the lake, there must be an insect and rat problem.

I don't pay attention to Atlanta weather patterns. Is there a winter
rainy season? If not, then the city may be reduced to Homeland Security
bringing in water trucks.

"JimH" ask wrote in message

"HK" wrote in message
news
Jack Redington wrote:
HK wrote:
[...]

Not from our Lakes.........the Great Lakes.....the largest amount of fresh
water in the world and quite a resource for the Canadians and Americans
living close enough to enjoy the Lakes.

Let Lanier dry up. After all, it is nothing more than a recreational
lake.........correct?

From what I understand that's where Atlanta gets a great deal their water.

HK HK is offline

JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
news
Jack Redington wrote:
HK wrote:
[...]

First and foremost, I believe, it is a reservoir.