Default Lake Lanier drying up?

On Oct 15, 8:34 pm, "CalifBill" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Oct 15, 10:13 am, wrote:
On Oct 15, 10:06 am, "Don White" wrote:

"HK" wrote in message

CNN had a feature on Lake Lanier this morning. Apparently water
levels are
way, way down, and if there isn't some serious protracted rain soon,
a goodly portion of Georgia will be facing drought.

Meanwhile, the video showed the shorelines of the lake line with dead
shellfish and fish, left behind as the water receded.

What's the impact on boating?

Good thing Waylon doesn't boat much. Shouldn't affect him.

Is Lanier a man made lake?

Yes, it's dammed. It's big, though, 900 miles of shoreline, at least
when it was full, it's down about 12' now. The good thing is it's
deep.

It is not deep if 12' decrease puts it in the condition it is in. Deep in
California is like Oroville. Down 200' and still parts of the lake are 400'
deep.- Hide quoted text -

Deep is a relative term, dip****.

On Oct 15, 9:25 pm, trainfan1 wrote:
HK wrote:
JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
news Jack Redington wrote:
HK wrote:
CNN had a feature on Lake Lanier this morning. Apparently water
levels are way, way down, and if there isn't some serious
protracted rain soon,
a goodly portion of Georgia will be facing drought.

Meanwhile, the video showed the shorelines of the lake line with
dead shellfish and fish, left behind as the water receded.

What's the impact on boating?

While I no longer boat on Lanier, from the news many ramps are
closed. At the present time that lake is about 12 below full pool.
At least that was the last time I checked. Projections do not look
good.

Georgia has been in drought conditions all of this year. Spring
rains were slight and every month has been a short. So it is not
really news anymore. Lanier has several problems when rain is short.
For one the drainage basin is small for a lake it's size. And about
6 million people in the Atlanta area depend on it. There is also the
fact this this lake is under the Army Corps managment. At present
they are letting out about twice the amount of water that is coming
in. This has alot to do with the tri-state water war that has been
going on since I have been here (about 10 years)

The Corps has stated that they are keeping the discharge rate as it
is to protect some shellfish that need it in in Florida. That being
where the water hit the ocean. Alabama also uses/needs this water.
Thus the tri-state angle on the water resources war.

As far as impact on boating - Some ramps are closed and there are
hazzards to navigation that would not normally exist. But that is
what happens when water gets lower them normal.

If you are really interested:

http://lanier.sam.usace.army.mil/Pre...07_BoatersCaut...
Capt Jack R..

I was looking earlier for a current aerial or low satellite photo of
the lake, but then I was distracted by work. With all the dead marine
life now on the edges of the lake, there must be an insect and rat
problem.

I don't pay attention to Atlanta weather patterns. Is there a winter
rainy season? If not, then the city may be reduced to Homeland
Security bringing in water trucks.

Not from our Lakes.........the Great Lakes.....the largest amount of
fresh water in the world and quite a resource for the Canadians and
Americans living close enough to enjoy the Lakes.

Let Lanier dry up. After all, it is nothing more than a recreational
lake.........correct?

First and foremost, I believe, it is a reservoir.

No. Flood Control.

Rob- Hide quoted text -

From Lake Lanier Army Corp of Engineers website:

Constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in the 1950's, Lake
Lanier is a multi-purpose lake that provides for flood protection,
power production, water supply, navigation, recreation and fish and
wildlife management.

HK HK is offline

wrote:
On Oct 15, 6:41 pm, HK wrote:
Jack Redington wrote:
HK wrote:
[...]

bringing in water trucks.- Hide quoted text -

Harry, there is a winter rainy season, but being a La Nina year, they
are predicting below average precip, plus the lake is SO low that it
would take exceptional rainfall to make up the defecit. Add to that
the Governor is trying to get the army corp to quit releasing so much
water to support some fresh water mussel in FL and a small coal fired
power plant. The total release is 600 to 900 million gallons per day.
The sad part is that the downstream reservoirs are used Alabama, and
they have no rationing!

Thanks. Hope you guys have water to drink this winter.

On Oct 16, 5:52?am, BAR wrote:
Chuck Gould wrote:
On Oct 15, 7:44?am, wrote:
So then you must agree it is OK to alter the course of nature in order
to serve the growing human population?- Hide quoted text -

Careful, that statement is getting pretty close to recognizing the
possibility that a growing human population *could* "alter the course
of nature".

Why is that a bad thing? Isn't just the evolution of humans? We didn't
come out of the caves to build cities and then have to return to the
caves. Progress Chuck, its progressive.

You missed the point, probably my fault.

I see a disconnect between the concepts that "Man couldn't possibly
alter the global environment enough to contribute to global warming"
and
"Man has the right to alter the environment as much as he wants in
order to serve a growing population of human beings."

wrote in news:1192545752.481641.277740
@e34g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

Could you please do a little research before you make such

ignorant
statements?

http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html

Found this handy webpage to assess drought conditions across the
USA. I can see why the lakes in the South are drying up!

Larry
--
You can tell there's extremely
intelligent life in the universe

On Oct 16, 11:25 am, HK wrote:
wrote:
On Oct 15, 6:41 pm, HK wrote:
Jack Redington wrote:
HK wrote:
[...]

Thanks. Hope you guys have water to drink this winter.- Hide quoted text -

So do I! You have to go pretty deep with a well here to get *good*
drinking water.

On Oct 16, 12:20 pm, Larry wrote:
wrote in news:1192545752.481641.277740
@e34g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

Could you please do a little research before you make such

ignorant
statements?

http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html

Found this handy webpage to assess drought conditions across the
USA. I can see why the lakes in the South are drying up!

Larry
--
You can tell there's extremely
intelligent life in the universe
because they have never called Earth.

It seems that just about every summer, just before fall, they start
worrying about water, and *usually* the fall/winter rains come and
negates those issues. But the last couple of years were different, not
much rain in winter, either. We'll see, I guess. I remember being in
the S.F. bay area and while I missed the rationing, there was a big
effort to get people to minimize water usage. They're trying here, but
outside of the criminal aspects of it, not very many people are doing
much to go above and beyond.

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 15, 8:34 pm, "CalifBill" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

"HK" wrote in message

[...]

Relative to you deep****.

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 08:13:57 -0400, "jamesgangnc" wrote:

Last time we went out about 3 weeks ago we went down to the dam area and it
was ok there. Falls is not down as much as the rest but it's down enough
that some ramps are closed and you really need to pay attention. This
happens occasionally around here. We have seen the lakes get low two other
years since we've lived here. Hasn't stopped us from boating though. We're
into water sports so it's usually cooling off by the time the lakes are
really low and that's about when we stop boating anyway. The droughts are
usually because of a dry summer so on the plus side there is less rain to
keep us from boating because of the weather.

"John H." wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 09:03:43 -0700, jamesgangnc

wrote:

On Oct 15, 11:07 am, wrote:
On Oct 15, 10:57 am, wrote:

The trouble with your type,
is that you don't think that anything that man can do will have an
adverse affect on the environment

What a dumb statement. You don't know "my type". Here's a clue. I grew
up in the woods and fields and have a 'leave nothing but footprints"
attitude toward my outdoor play. But you just keep up the close minded
stand and you will surely be dismissed by rational people. When was
the last time you took a walk on the beach with your wife and carried
a garbage bag... we carry one as part of our "go bag".... Do you?

Many of the lakes in the southeast are man made and are used for water
supply. There are not that many natural lakes occuring in the
southeast. Most also are used for recreational purposes. All the
lakes I've boated in in NC are man made. Around Raleigh Lake Jordan
and Falls Lake are both man made. As well as Hyco, Mayo, and Wheeler
plus others. On the Roanoke, Philpot, Kerr, and Gaston are all man
made. There has been drought conditions in the southeast above
florida most of the summer and lots of the lakes are down many feet.

My neighbor, who moved up here (DC area) from Raleigh says that Falls Lake
is getting too shallow for boating. Of course, I just bought a new boat
and
am planning (tentatively) to move to the Wake Forest area and use Falls
Lake.

How are the boating conditions down there now?

Thanks!
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

From Lake Lanier Army Corp of Engineers website:

Constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in the 1950's, Lake
Lanier is a multi-purpose lake that provides for flood protection,
power production, water supply, navigation, recreation and fish and
wildlife management.

Same way with Lake Carlyle . that is with exception of power
production.

It is fed by the Kaskaskia river, and it's level has dropped
considerably. it is a huge man made lake and is about 4 mi wide and 10
mi long. But in many places the shore line is rather shallow. in some
cases un aprochable with a typical runabout up to 150 ft from shore.
But when the lake is full, these spots are usually navagational within
50-75 ft.

Still plenty deep in the middle, but unhandy for reaching beach lines.