Default Lanier fishing report for Jan.

Some folks have shown interest in our winter striper and bass fishing
on Lake Lanier. As you can see, you fish deep where the warmer water is
in winter.

Lake Lanier Fishing Report for Jan, 2006
Lake Level--------- 2.00 ft down
Surface temp. ------45 degrees
Water Clarity------Main Lake is clear
Creeks and rivers are slightly stained
STRIPERS
The striper fishing is good on Lake Lanier right now. We have caught
many good fish up to 25 pounds this week on free lined and down lined
blue backs, and trout in the following creeks; Bald Ridge, Flat, Balus,
Sardis, Ada, Gainesville, and Wahoo creeks. Start at the mouths of the
creeks and work your way back. We have also caught stripers this week
out in the river channel 60 feet deep. Watch your electronics and you
will see the bait and the fish scattered from 50-60 feet deep from
about Vann Tavern up to Little River. The umbrella rig bite is also
good. I prefer the heavy, 4-arm u-rig with 9, 1 oz jigs. Fish this
heavier rig from 70-90 feet behind your boat at 2.5 - 3 miles an
hour. White jigs with chartreuse trailers works best for me. Don't
forget your umbrella rig retriever. You can purchase blue backs, trout,
and shiners at Hammond's Fishing and Boat Storage (770-888-6898). The
Dam store (770-932-2031) also has blue backs and trout.

Bass
The bass fishing is good on Lake Lanier right now. We have had many
good reports from folks using drop shot rigs, icicle finesse worms, and
Flex-it spoons in 40-60 feet of water. I would also fish a brown on
brown, or blue on black pig-n-jig around docks and on points with
brush.

Crappie
We have had several reports of people catching crappie while walking
the marina docks on jigs and minnows.

This monthly fishing report is brought to you by Shane Watson Guide
Service, your #1 choice for a successful day of striper fishing on Lake
Lanier. Brighten someone's day. Take a kid or elderly person fishing
this week. It will brighten your day as well. God bless, good fishing,
and have a great day on the lake.