posted to rec.boats.paddle
Joe McIntosh

Default fishing from sit in

no doubt most guys use sot kayak for fishing but has anyone got suggestions
for rigging a Old Town Loon 138 for salt water fishing in creeks and
inlet around inland waterway?
need suggestion on how to use pole stuck in ground beside boat instead of
anchor when fishing in shallow water--how do I attach it to boat
thanks Joe

posted to rec.boats.paddle
riverman

Hey IJ:
I'm not sure I understand your question. You are asking how to connect
your boat to a pole (not a fishing pole) that is speared in the ground
as an anchor point? And the problem is: how to connect the boat to the
anchor pole (and I assume, without a lot of slack in the line)...is
this correct?

Some folks bolt a clam-cleat on their deck for rescues. You could tie
the anchor rope to a U-bolt on the deck, jam the pole into the ground,
then just haul in the slack and cleat it in a clamcleat to keep the
boat close to shore.

Let me know if this is what you are asking..

--riverman

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Joe McIntosh

"riverman" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey IJ:
I'm not sure I understand your question. You are asking how to connect
your boat to a pole (not a fishing pole) that is speared in the ground
as an anchor point? And the problem is: how to connect the boat to the
anchor pole (and I assume, without a lot of slack in the line)...is
this correct?

Some folks bolt a clam-cleat on their deck for rescues. You could tie
the anchor rope to a U-bolt on the deck, jam the pole into the ground,
then just haul in the slack and cleat it in a clamcleat to keep the
boat close to shore.

Let me know if this is what you are asking..

--riverman
Joe answers---that is about what I am asking---SOT folks have drain holes
thru their hulls and are just sticking a metal rod into ground thru this
hole for temporary anchorage while fishing. I am trying to accomplish same
thing with my Loon.

Do not want to use the anchor system with lines running length of kayak as
fly fishing and landing fish do not work well with extra lines off hull.

thanks for your help

posted to rec.boats.paddle
riverman

I think I understand. Its the anchor line beneath the boat that would
be the problem with a fish swimming around beneath you.

One option would be to run the rope to the sand-anchor (the peg for the
beach) through the endloop of your boat. Here is how I'd think of
securing it:

Tie the end of the rope off just behind the cockpit. One way would be
to put a U-bolt in the hull, and tie the rope to it. Then put a clam
cleat back a bit, where you can reach it by turning around and reaching
behind you. The rope goes from the U-bolt, through the end loop of the
kayak, then to shore to the sand anchor.

To anchor the boat, you have to get out and put the sand anchor in,
then you paddle a bit away from shore, take up the slack in the line
that is behind you, lock the line in the clamcleat, and tuck the
extra rope into the cockpit. Now there's no extra line anywhere on the
deck or in the water, and the line to shore is coming off the extreme
stern of your boat.

Otherwise, you can just drift and let the fish drag you around. :-)

--riverman

posted to rec.boats.paddle
riverman

OR....

(I just read your request for the tenth time and the light came on)

Why not take a loop of webbing, and bolt it to the deck? One on each
side, off to the side so that the loop extends a bit wider than the
boat. Then you can pass the pole through the loop, and drive it into
the bottom.

--riverman

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Charlie Choc

On 14 Dec 2005 08:15:11 -0800, "riverman" wrote:

OR....

(I just read your request for the tenth time and the light came on)

Why not take a loop of webbing, and bolt it to the deck? One on each
side, off to the side so that the loop extends a bit wider than the
boat. Then you can pass the pole through the loop, and drive it into
the bottom.

That sounds like a great idea, Myron. I have used the handles on the side of my
SOT for similar purposes.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com
posted to rec.boats.paddle

Don't be a stick in the mud use a drag shoot.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

I have seen guys rig there anchors by tying them to a loop of line. The
loop runs from the back of the kayak to somewhere they could reach
easily. You drop anchor and then pull on one side of the loop, like a
clothes line, to move the anchor to the back. I suppose the same setup
would work from the bow also but who wants to fish with an anchor line
in front of you?

posted to rec.boats.paddle
RkyMtnHootOwl

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:30:07 -0500, Charlie Choc wrote:

On 14 Dec 2005 08:15:11 -0800, "riverman" wrote:

OR....

(I just read your request for the tenth time and the light came on)

Why not take a loop of webbing, and bolt it to the deck? One on each
side, off to the side so that the loop extends a bit wider than the
boat. Then you can pass the pole through the loop, and drive it into
the bottom.

That sounds like a great idea, Myron. I have used the handles on the side of my
SOT for similar purposes.

Joe, you say salt marsh, creeks, shallow? How deep is the water? How
much current? What is the bottom like?

When the SOT is pinned to the bottom with a rod, depending on the
location in the hull, where the rod goes through, the SOT would
weathervane around the rod if there is much current. Your Loon
connection would be off center and broadside.

Using web loops off the side of the boat, could result in the boat
broaching to the current or wind, and then wanting to roll on its
side. You could take an unintended swim! Combine this actions with:

The depth of the water would determine the length of the required rod,
which would act as a lever trying to pry the loops off the side of the
boat. The longer the lever, the more likely the possibility that the
boat could be seriously damaged as the boat is hit by current, and the
lever is trying to bend over and pull loose. I have seen large horn
cletes pulled right out of the deck of sailing ships and power boats
when all of a sudden hit by a change in the current and not properly
moored or anchored.

Have you tried using a long pole to hold yourself steady, as in poling
your boat? You will find that it takes all your attention, and
certainly nothing you would want to do while fishing. Also the amount
of energy required is amazing if there is any current at all. Poling
John boats in the swamp where there is negligible current is one
thing, which probably means you would not have any need to anchor
anyway. But if there is any current, there is a reason anchors have
been favored through the eons, the anchor rode and snubbing lines take
the stress induced by current and wind, instead of the boat

As far as the bottom: is whether it would hold the rod stuck into it.
Soft sand and deep mud would be suspect. You would have to drive the
Rod pretty deep. Some reef environments are protected environments,
and you could get into deep doodoo for driving a rod down into the
coral!

If you insist, povertybob may have an idea, combined with the loop
riverman suggested. Tie a closed clothesline loop from the bow to
stern, with a small loop attached to one side of the larger loop. Then
when you drive the rod in to the bottom, attach the small loop to the
rod. (This small loop would need to be free to move up and down the
rod to adjust for wave action, and possible tidal drop.) Then pull the
clothesline loop so that the rod moves to the bow or stern. This way
if there is any current, you will be positioned either facing upstream
or down, and the boat will be free to adjust to the current without
broaching. Then when you are ready to recover the rod, just pull the
clothesline loop to move the side of the boat back up to the rod where
you can reach it.

This setup would keep you from having any anchor rode in the water to
snag your fishing line on, however there would be a small amount of
line on the deck still. But you would avoid the broaching hazard which
could be a real surprise if you were paying attention to the fishing
at the time.

I have thought about ways to do this to spend the night in a boat for
example in the Everglades, and a chickee is not available. I had not
considered using a rod driven down. Usually you would carry an anchor,
but they can get caught in the vegetation, making recovery difficult.
I would not want to have to swim with the 'gators to free an anchor
Because the tide shifts direction through the night, the boat has to
be free to shift direction as well. Being able to stay in the current
means that you are in deeper water possibly, but you will not be left
high and dry on some mudflat by the retreating tide. It might just
work, Thanks OvO

posted to rec.boats.paddle
riverman

You know what might be interesting? An anchor setup with a quick
release. If you want to hold your position, you drop anchor and cast
away. But if you get a big fish on, you can disconnect the anchor (the
local end has a float so you can retrieve your anchor when you are
done), and you are free to drift and fight the fish away from the
entanglements of your anchor line. Once you have landed (and released)
it, you paddle back to your anchor (now acting like a mooring),
retrieve the end of the line, clip back in, and fish away.

--riverman

Trout Fishing Dec6: Camanche Reservoir, Ca CoachPotato General 0 December 7th 05 06:20 PM
Gone Fishing *JimH* General 1 November 13th 05 09:32 AM
Hot Fishing Butch Davis General 4 November 11th 05 12:13 AM
For those who take fishing seriously [email protected] General 1 October 19th 05 01:40 PM
New Fishing Website MidwestAngling.com General 1 October 19th 05 01:10 AM