Tim Tim is offline

Default Lake Lanier drying up?

Today it's been raining a slight shower off 'n on all day, then my
wife and I left town this evening, and when coming back the shower
turned into a down pour!

all 60 mi. of it!

I dropped her off at home and took the trusty old wagon up to my dads
farm to retrieve the Marquis. it hadn't rained so long, it's hard to
believe it would.

so there's my boat sitting nose down on a very gentle slope, and I
knew it would be full of water, so I buckled it up to the trailer and
pulled it 5 mi. into town and put it in my warehouse. While sitting
there it must have drained for a good 10 minutes, that was including
the pull home in the hard rain.

No complaints though, it will dry out, and I pulled the engine cover
to see if the water got up to the starter motor. I was hoping it would
be dry (which it was) because I hate standing on my head to take the
starter off a 350 chevy, crammed down in the bowls of the boat!

We're getting a pounding rain.

hmmm, in drought conditions, maybe I ought to leave the boat out more
often.....

On Thu, 18 Oct 07, 4:46pm, John H wrote:
Hope some of it comes our way. We've been 33 days without rain. One more
will break the record.

Not sure where you are but I'm looking at the Weatherbug radar right
now and the worst (or best, depending on your POV) part of the weather
is in the S/E corner of AL and the S/W corner of GA, moving N/E. Looks
like it should dump all over Atlanta and Lake Lanier in a few hours.
Go wash your car and water your lawn. That usually helps.

Rick

wrote:
On Oct 17, 4:58 pm, Tim wrote:

wrote:

On Oct 16, 2:29 pm, Tim wrote:

wrote:

From Lake Lanier Army Corp of Engineers website:
Constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in the 1950's, Lake
Lanier is a multi-purpose lake that provides for flood protection,
power production, water supply, navigation, recreation and fish and
wildlife management.

Same way with Lake Carlyle . that is with exception of power
production.

It is fed by the Kaskaskia river, and it's level has dropped
considerably. it is a huge man made lake and is about 4 mi wide and 10
mi long. But in many places the shore line is rather shallow. in some
cases un aprochable with a typical runabout up to 150 ft from shore.
But when the lake is full, these spots are usually navagational within
50-75 ft.

Still plenty deep in the middle, but unhandy for reaching beach lines.

Lake Lanier is fed by two rivers, each runoff from the mountains, so
there is a LOT of water being pushed down, normally. Because of
downstream concerns plus Atlanta's thirst, they are still, even with
drought conditions releasing anywhere from 600 to 900 million gallons
per day. Lanier is a really cool lake, because of the mountainous
conditions, there are many coves and what used to be creek inlets to
explore. How far is your lake down? Lanier is down 12 feet (so far).

I don't really know how much it has dropped and really don't know how
to find the actual stats, but on the south end the lake is dammed, and
there's very little coming over the spill way.

kaskaskia isn't a large river, but now it's about like a creek.

I saw a bit ont he Weather Channel about Lake Hartwell. It's in bad
shape too.

fortunately for our area, it's been raining fairly steady for the last
three hrs and I did look and saw its steady on Carlyle too. But it
won't effect the lake much at all, unless the rains start saturating
up north to flow down.- Hide quoted text -

Tim, if it's an Army Corp lake, you can get current stats,
predictions, etc from the Corp's website. Yes, Hartwell is in bad
shape too. Oconee is the only one in these parts not suffering.

I think Hartwell is down about 10-11 ft and things do not look good.
Last weekend I had 15 ft under my dock in Gumlog creek. But our place is
blessed with deep water. My biggest concern is getting out of Gumlog
Creek to the main channel. There is one point that is rather skinny, but
I check it last weekend and there is a skinny, but deep path threw it.

At this time I am considering if I should get a trailer for the runabout
and pull it. If this goes into next year I don't want to be stuck with
the boat on the lift and no way to get it out. ie ramp access etc.

Capt Jack R.

wrote:
On Oct 17, 9:42 pm, trainfan1 wrote:
wrote:
On Oct 16, 11:03 pm, trainfan1 wrote:
wrote:
On Oct 15, 9:25 pm, trainfan1 wrote:
HK wrote:
JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
news Jack Redington wrote:
HK wrote:
CNN had a feature on Lake Lanier this morning. Apparently water
levels are way, way down, and if there isn't some serious
protracted rain soon,
a goodly portion of Georgia will be facing drought.
Meanwhile, the video showed the shorelines of the lake line with
dead shellfish and fish, left behind as the water receded.
What's the impact on boating?
While I no longer boat on Lanier, from the news many ramps are
closed. At the present time that lake is about 12 below full pool.
At least that was the last time I checked. Projections do not look
good.
Georgia has been in drought conditions all of this year. Spring
rains were slight and every month has been a short. So it is not
really news anymore. Lanier has several problems when rain is short.
For one the drainage basin is small for a lake it's size. And about
6 million people in the Atlanta area depend on it. There is also the
fact this this lake is under the Army Corps managment. At present
they are letting out about twice the amount of water that is coming
in. This has alot to do with the tri-state water war that has been
going on since I have been here (about 10 years)
The Corps has stated that they are keeping the discharge rate as it
is to protect some shellfish that need it in in Florida. That being
where the water hit the ocean. Alabama also uses/needs this water.
Thus the tri-state angle on the water resources war.
As far as impact on boating - Some ramps are closed and there are
hazzards to navigation that would not normally exist. But that is
what happens when water gets lower them normal.
If you are really interested:
http://lanier.sam.usace.army.mil/Pre...07_BoatersCaut...
Capt Jack R..
I was looking earlier for a current aerial or low satellite photo of
the lake, but then I was distracted by work. With all the dead marine
life now on the edges of the lake, there must be an insect and rat
problem.
I don't pay attention to Atlanta weather patterns. Is there a winter
rainy season? If not, then the city may be reduced to Homeland
Security bringing in water trucks.
Not from our Lakes.........the Great Lakes.....the largest amount of
fresh water in the world and quite a resource for the Canadians and
Americans living close enough to enjoy the Lakes.
Let Lanier dry up. After all, it is nothing more than a recreational
lake.........correct?
First and foremost, I believe, it is a reservoir.
No. Flood Control.
Rob- Hide quoted text -
From Lake Lanier Army Corp of Engineers website:
Constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in the 1950's, Lake
Lanier is a multi-purpose lake that provides for flood protection,
power production, water supply, navigation, recreation and fish and
wildlife management.
In that order. Flood control first. Water supply is down the list.
Rob- Hide quoted text -
Who ever told you that it's in that order?? The power generated at
Lake Lanier, which in your order is #2, is very little,

Correct - drinking water supply is below power generation in priority,
which is below flood control in priority. You got it right!

Since the lake's construction, metro Atlanta has been taking water from
the lake to use for municipal drinking water, which was only authorized
by Congress as an INCIDENTAL use, secondary to hydroelectricity.

The lake's original and authorized purposes were to provide
hydroelectricity and flood control.

Who told you any different?

Rob

Where did you get this information from? It surely isn't from the Army
Corp of Engineers, who operate the system!
See:
http://lanier.sam.usace.army.mil/

Nowhere on that site will you see one single reason above all others
for the construction of the lake. There are several reasons, none of
which is paramount over any other.

Google is your friend... but I'll go with the order of importance your
reference presents:

http://lanier.sam.usace.army.mil/purposes.htm

The "major function" is flood control. Indicating 50% for flood
control. I can't find any reference that puts it any other way. You
say they don't produce much hydro power there. I'll go along with that too.

Rob

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"John H." wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 17:54:51 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 08:54:02 -0700, Chuck Gould
wrote:

On Oct 15, 7:44?am, wrote:

So then you must agree it is OK to alter the course of nature in
order
to serve the growing human population?- Hide quoted text -

Careful, that statement is getting pretty close to recognizing the
possibility that a growing human population *could* "alter the course
of nature".

Then slowing down the rate of growth may be a cost effective way of
dealing
with the problem, as opposed to making Al Gore more wealthy?

It would be impossible for it NOT to help, but it's a touchy subject.
Zero
population growth? Watch the reactions to that in subsequent messages.

The emphasis was on cost effective means of dealing with a problem, as
opposed to sending money to Al Gore.

'Zero population gowth' is your term, not mine. I'm not trying to
engender
any reaction to that in any messages. But, it looks like you are.

It's a theory, and the name of an organization which, for many years, has
tried to push an agenda of not having more than 2 kids, so a couple only
replaces itself without adding population. Naturally, there are people who
think its inevitable that suggestions will become laws, and such people
refuse to think about controlling population growth.

I wonder if Paul Ehrlich (the original Algore) is still with them.

Some of his "predictions"-

"The battle to feed humanity is over. In the 1970s the world will undergo
famines . . . hundreds of millions of people (including Americans) are going
to starve to death." (Population Bomb 1968)

"Smog disasters" in 1973 might kill 200,000 people in New York and Los
Angeles. (1969)

"I would take even money that England will not exist in the year 2000."
(1969)

"Before 1985, mankind will enter a genuine age of scarcity . . . in which
the accessible supplies of many key minerals will be facing depletion."
(1976)

"By 1985 enough millions will have died to reduce the earth's population to
some acceptable level, like 1.5 billion people." (1969)

"By 1980 the United States would see its life expectancy drop to 42 because
of pesticides, and by 1999 its population would drop to 22.6 million."
(1969)

"BillP" wrote in message

It's a theory, and the name of an organization which, for many years, has
tried to push an agenda of not having more than 2 kids, so a couple only
replaces itself without adding population. Naturally, there are people
who
think its inevitable that suggestions will become laws, and such people
refuse to think about controlling population growth.

I wonder if Paul Ehrlich (the original Algore) is still with them.

Some of his "predictions"-

You are correct. All resources are infinite, and it doesn't matter how many
people tap these resources. This is physically impossible, but if you're
stupid enough (like you), anything's possible.

Senior Member

On Oct 19, 1:56 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"BillP" wrote in message

It's a theory, and the name of an organization which, for many years, has
tried to push an agenda of not having more than 2 kids, so a couple only
replaces itself without adding population. Naturally, there are people
who
think its inevitable that suggestions will become laws, and such people
refuse to think about controlling population growth.

I wonder if Paul Ehrlich (the original Algore) is still with them.

Some of his "predictions"-

You are correct. All resources are infinite, and it doesn't matter how many
people tap these resources. This is physically impossible, but if you're
stupid enough (like you), anything's possible.

You are correct, there is no middle of the road or even common sense
to be had.. It's only doom and gloom, we are in for a global
freeze..ooooops, wrong election cycle... Sorry.

On Oct 18, 7:35 pm, Jack Redington wrote:
wrote:
On Oct 17, 4:58 pm, Tim wrote:

wrote:

On Oct 16, 2:29 pm, Tim wrote:

wrote:

From Lake Lanier Army Corp of Engineers website:
[...]

Capt Jack R.- Hide quoted text -

I've fished up in Gumlog creek. Had a friend who had a place close to
there. Lake Lanier is now down 14 feet, they are saying there's enough
water for 80 days. Army Corp of Engineers, because of their attitude
that no one can make a decision unless it's in some obscure code or
law, won't stop; discharging even now!

HK wrote:
JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
newsLqdnUOpmOY9cY7anZ2dnUVZ_i2dnZ2d@comc ast.com...
Jack Redington wrote:
HK wrote:
[...]
From Lake Lanier Army Corp of Engineers website:
[...]

Need to really find out?
http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/vis...cfm?Id=K502200

which simply calls it a simply "multipurpose" without identifying any
one particular reason over another:

"Constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in the 1950 s, Lake
Lanier is a multi-purpose lake that provides for flood protection,
power production, water supply, navigation, recreation and fish and
wildlife management. Lake Lanier is one of 464 lakes in 43 states
constructed and operated by the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers. It has
won the best operated lake of the year award in 1990, 1997 and 2002."