Keith

Default Hose off, now Thruhull problem!

Yea, if that's the case, replace the whole thing. They don't even make
replacement parts for those any more... they're old Groco seacocks. I
replaced three on my boat, and sold the old ones just like that for spare
parts!

A neat solution for new fabrications: I saw one where the guy did this for
easy cleaning from the inside. Attached to the seacock was a piece of bronze
pipe with a "T", and another piece of pipe with a cap. The seawater took a
right turn at the "T", and if he needed to clean the thru-hull, he just
removed the cap and ran a wire or whatever straight down through the seacock
and thru-hull from the inside. Not for the faint of heart or those with
crummy bilge pumps, but very efficient.

--

Keith
__
"Charlie J" wrote in message
Loyd-
If serious sea growth is not the answer, here is a more exotic explanation
for your problem:

Does your malfunctioning seacock have a thumb screw on the opposite side
from the handle? If so, then this type of seacock has a rubber coated
bronze cylinder rotating within the body. The cylinder has a transverse
hole in it. When you shut the seacock, the hole is aligned at 90 degrees

the thru hull and the system. You secure the seacock and seal the rubber

the seacock body by tightening the thumbscrew. When you open the seacock,
you first loosen the thumbscrew to release the seal between the rotating
cylinder and the seacock body and then turn the handle 90 degrees to align
the transverse hole with the thru hull and the system.

If you feel some resistance when you are operating the seacock, the bond
between the bronze cylinder and the rubber sheath has failed and you will

be
rotating the metal cylinder within its rubber sheath but you will not be
"operating" the valve from open to shut, shut to open. If you do not feel
any resistance, than the handle may have come detached from the bronze
cylinder.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Charlie Johnson
JTB Marine Service
200 Second Avenue South
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
727.560.9065

Keith

....and don't blindly trust a surveyor! Kick and poke at everything while
it's still someone else's boat.

--

Keith
__
"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 22:48:45 -0700, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

Hi,

Finally got that old hose off with a hacksaw and a fair amount of
flame. Problem is, I STILL haven't found the blockage! I usually find

that
if the blockage is in the thruhull, opening the valve with the hose off
gives a blast of reverse water that clears it. This time, NOTHING! not a
trickle.

Obviously, I can't remove the thruhull without hauling the boat, so

I'm
looking for alternatives. One thought - could the handle on the thruhull
be broken and the valve is just not opening? Seems to be doing
something... Or, I can get my Lady the semi-fish to dive under and poke

at
it from the outside with a stick, making sure she doesn't leave the stick

in.
If that doesn't work, can I use the 1" thruhull currently used for the
head sink drain? Either T it, or live without a sink in the head until I
haul the boat.

Comments? Suggestions?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - c/w holding tank where water goes in, but

doesn't
go out...

Not sure this applies, but this just happened in the marina. New
owners bought a trawler after getting a clean bill of health from the
surveyor.

Minor maintenance issue arose and the owner closed the seacock.....
well, not exactly..... it broke off in his hand! Panic city.....
plugging.... quick trip to an emergency haul out.

All through hulls and sea cocks were badly corroded and had to be
replaced.

Moral:

Walk softly and don't use such a big stick.....

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time Pictures

at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Lloyd Sumpter

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 04:09:46 +0000, Peggie Hall wrote:

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
There's no way I'm messing with this while it's in the water (I can just
see me reefing on a 2-ft pipewrench to try to get the fitting free and
cracking the thruhull itself...). So, I "closed" the valve and capped the
fitting, then used the sink thruhull (3/4") for the holding tank outlet.
Not too big a stretch: the macerator outlet is 1". I converted the outlet
hose from 1 1/2" to 1" as well, to reduce the backwash when the pump
stops. I figure if it has to go through a foot of 1" hose, why not 10 ft?

I'll make do with the smaller thruhull until I haul the boat, then "get
serious" with the bigger one.

Since you've already done it, the only thing left for me to say is, Oy vey!

Peggie

OK, so it's not up to "Peggy Standard"

But what do you think of using 1" hose for the outlet, rather than 1" for
a foot or so, an adapter, and 1.5" the rest of the way? Seems cleaner,
less backwash, and as I said, the output as to go through SOME 1" hose
anyway...

Lloyd

Peggie Hall

OK, so it's not up to "Peggy Standard"

It's not up to any standard, Lloyd. Would you dump a portapotty down
your sink? 'Cuz that's essentially what you're doing by dumping your
holding tank through the sink drain. ANY problem or backup, and you're
gonna have a sink full of sewage. Even without any problems, you're
gonna have e-coli in the same sink drain that you use to wash dishes,
your face, brush your teeth, etc...and bacteria migrate...mulitply while
the boat sits...anything you set in the sink can pick it up.

How you ran the plumbing is irrelevant.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Lloyd Sumpter

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 17:06:53 +0000, Peggie Hall wrote:

OK, so it's not up to "Peggy Standard"

It's not up to any standard, Lloyd. Would you dump a portapotty down
your sink? 'Cuz that's essentially what you're doing by dumping your
holding tank through the sink drain. ANY problem or backup, and you're
gonna have a sink full of sewage.

Sorry, again a misunderstanding. I REMOVED the sink connection and
replaced it with the holding tank outflow. No T. The sink now drains into
the bilge (we don't use it much anyway)

Lloyd

Peggie Hall

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
Sorry, again a misunderstanding. I REMOVED the sink connection and
replaced it with the holding tank outflow. No T.

Oh...that's a little different! You had me worried!

Reducing the macerator output hose by 25% (from 1" to 3/4") could cause
some backup from the thru-hull to the macerator...there's usually a
reason why equipment mfrs spec output size and it has to do with whether
the pump is pushing it through a hose faster than the hose size will
let it flow.

The sink now drains into
the bilge (we don't use it much anyway)

Yccch...that oughta keep your boat smelling great.

In my experience, it's always cheaper and easier in the long run to do
anything right the first time than it is to jury rig it and then go back
and do it over--or worse yet, have to keep on jury rigging and working
around the jury rig to keep it working. Sooner or later you're gonna
have to haul the boat--even if only for a short haul--to service/replace
all the thru-hulls...why not just do it all now and get it over with?

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Jack Rye

Peggie, Not to mention Typhoid, Cholera, Viral Hepatitis and a range of
stomach and intestinal diseases. All this and more, from a sink of sewage
can be theirs.

Many times while cruising I have come across stupid people that live aboard
their boats in marinas. Instead of paying the pump out fee. These morons use
a bucket for their excrement. Every day they dump it in a community toilets
and then use community sinks to wash out their buckets. Since I have
witnessed this many times. I am surprised that no one has died from their
blatant stupidity. This is the main reason I installed a 160 lph water
maker on our boat. So we wouldn't have to use the local marinas community
facilities.

Peggie, Something to think about. Maybe a new chapter for your book.

Jack

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
OK, so it's not up to "Peggy Standard"

It's not up to any standard, Lloyd. Would you dump a portapotty down
your sink? 'Cuz that's essentially what you're doing by dumping your
holding tank through the sink drain. ANY problem or backup, and you're
gonna have a sink full of sewage. Even without any problems, you're
gonna have e-coli in the same sink drain that you use to wash dishes,
your face, brush your teeth, etc...and bacteria migrate...mulitply while
the boat sits...anything you set in the sink can pick it up.

How you ran the plumbing is irrelevant.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Peggie Hall

Jack Rye wrote:
Peggie, Not to mention Typhoid, Cholera, Viral Hepatitis and a range of
stomach and intestinal diseases. All this and more, from a sink of sewage
can be theirs.

In all fairness,I doubt that there are many carriers of typhoid, cholera
and hepatitis in Lloyd's family...or among the "weekend warrior"
recreational boating population as a whole. But still...

Many times while cruising I have come across stupid people that live aboard
their boats in marinas. Instead of paying the pump out fee. These morons use
a bucket for their excrement. Every day they dump it in a community toilets
and then use community sinks to wash out their buckets. Since I have
witnessed this many times. I am surprised that no one has died from their
blatant stupidity.

Exposure to low levels of anything is how immune systems are developed.
And, enough additional water prob'ly goes down the sinks in any public
facility to flush it out. But still, only really classless slobs would
wash out the buckets in the sinks instead using a hose outside.

Ours has become a "germ" obsessed society...with a lot of encouragement
to do so from the mfrs of "antibacterial" products. Somewhere between
cleaning products that claim to sanitize the kitchen floor and waste
buckets in the sink is a healthy balance.

Peggie, Something to think about. Maybe a new chapter for your book.

Maybe...but not this week.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

bomar

The pressure will not be dissipated in the line to the thru hull (ok, yes
there will be some pressure drop, but it's inconsequential), and the back
pressure will increase with the additional hose length from the macerator.
I think this is one of those scenarios where someone asks for advice but has
made up their mind as to what they what to do and no amount of logic will
dissuade them from straying from the course they have set.
Gonna be one Hell of a mess....

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
bomar wrote:
Peggie-
Check your math....
Assuming true 1" and ¾" id, this is a reduction of 44% not 25%

3.14 (.5)² = .785
3.14 (.375)² = .4415
.4415 / .785 = .5625
¾" hose is 56% of 1" hose, so the ¾" hose is 44% smaller, not 25%

Thanks...math was never my strongest subject. I was only referring to
the diameter. A 44% reduction in hose volume makes things even more
interesting.

Where he put the macerator will have a lot to do with it. So how 'bout
applying a little more of your math skills.

He said the hose is 10' long. The flow through a Jabsco macerator is 12
gal/minute. If he put it close to the tank--say within a foot, will the
distance to the thru-hull permit enough dissipation in pressure to
prevent backpressure? If he put the macerator at the other end--near
the the thru-hull, it'll prob'ly be a moot point because the macerator
will take so long to prime that the impeller will prob'ly fry before it
can (Jabsco specs call for 4' max if the impeller is dry)....but
assuming that it doesn't, what's likely to happen?

I wonder why the the phrase "trying to stuff 12 lbs of $#!* into a 10 lb
bag" has suddenly started running through my head....

Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Is problem with O-Ring Seal or Valve Body Rural Knight General 10 December 7th 04 07:39 PM
How do I get a hose on a fitting? Lloyd Sumpter General 21 August 22nd 03 05:43 PM
Yahmaha Problem Frank General 0 August 19th 03 10:01 PM
back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM
96 Sea Doo Speedster Starting Problem - Odd Noise From ElectricalBox? David Wolfenbarger General 0 July 17th 03 02:51 AM