Lloyd Sumpter

Default How do I get a hose on a fitting?

Hi,

I'm just back from my boat, exhausted from trying to get the Fancy
$13/ft sewage hose onto a fitting. I just can't get it on: I've tried
spit, bacon grease, twisted and pushed until my hands are red and swollen,
and I can't get it on.

Any hints?

Also, there's an old hose that's been on for at least 15 years that
needs to come off the head thru-hull. It's actually diesel intake hose, 1
1/2". I can barely get at it. Again, any hints on how to get it off?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Joe

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm just back from my boat, exhausted from trying to get the Fancy
$13/ft sewage hose onto a fitting. I just can't get it on: I've tried
spit, bacon grease, twisted and pushed until my hands are red and swollen,
and I can't get it on.

Any hints?

Also, there's an old hose that's been on for at least 15 years that
needs to come off the head thru-hull. It's actually diesel intake hose, 1
1/2". I can barely get at it. Again, any hints on how to get it off?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Have you tried a hair dryer to heat the hoses?
Also, setting the hose end into boiling water for 1 min can help.

Peggie Hall

The problem is the fitting, Lloyd...you'll never get it onto a gray pvc
1.5" hose without damaging the hose 'cuz nominal 1.5" thread x 1.5"
barbed is actual 1.5" thread x 1 5/8" barbed.

Stop by your local boat store and pick up a nylon 1.5" fitting...the
barbs on those are 1.5". Warm the hose--don't overheat it!--and put a
little dish soap on the inside of it and on the fitting. You should be
able to get it the hose onto it. I can.

Try heating any hose that has to come OFF a fitting or a thru-hull.

I thought you said you'd bought my book...you might consider reading it
...'cuz all of the above is in it.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
Hi,

I'm just back from my boat, exhausted from trying to get the Fancy
$13/ft sewage hose onto a fitting. I just can't get it on: I've tried
spit, bacon grease, twisted and pushed until my hands are red and swollen,
and I can't get it on.

Any hints?

Also, there's an old hose that's been on for at least 15 years that
needs to come off the head thru-hull. It's actually diesel intake hose, 1
1/2". I can barely get at it. Again, any hints on how to get it off?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Joe

When removing stubborn hoses, these radiator hose removal tools are
priceless-

http://tinyurl.com/kokm

You push the end of the tool as far down as you can between the hose and
fitting then rotate all the way around the fitting.
This will break the seal between the hose hand fitting making removal easy.

John Gaquin

LLoyd....
I can vouch for this method. Hot water, then liquid soap.

JG
"

Peggie Hall

Joe wrote:
When removing stubborn hoses, these radiator hose removal tools are
priceless-

http://tinyurl.com/kokm

You push the end of the tool as far down as you can between the hose and
fitting then rotate all the way around the fitting.
This will break the seal between the hose hand fitting making removal easy.

A little risky for sanitation hoses, cuz if you dimple the fitting, it
won't seal. To be on the safe side, I'd stick with heat.

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Lloyd Sumpter

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 03:18:07 +0000, Peggie Hall wrote:

The problem is the fitting, Lloyd...you'll never get it onto a gray pvc
1.5" hose without damaging the hose 'cuz nominal 1.5" thread x 1.5"
barbed is actual 1.5" thread x 1 5/8" barbed.

Stop by your local boat store and pick up a nylon 1.5" fitting...the
barbs on those are 1.5".

Not sure what you mean here. The one fitting is the plastic 1" - 1 1/2"
adapter that I bought at a marine store (and it says "1 1/2" right on
it!). The other is the existing brass suction-break that was used with
1 1/2" diesel filler hose.

Warm the hose--don't overheat it!--and put a
little dish soap on the inside of it and on the fitting. You should be
able to get it the hose onto it. I can.

Thanks - I'll try it! If I can't, can you make a house-call to Vancouver,
Canada?

Try heating any hose that has to come OFF a fitting or a thru-hull.

Not sure I can get a hairdrier at this hose. Certainly can't get hot
water. At this point, I'm thinking angle-grinder (although I don't think
that would fit either...maybe a small explosive??)

I thought you said you'd bought my book...you might consider reading it
...'cuz all of the above is in it.

I'll do that!

Lloyd

Peggie Hall

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 03:18:07 +0000, Peggie Hall wrote:

The problem is the fitting, Lloyd...you'll never get it onto a gray pvc
1.5" hose without damaging the hose 'cuz nominal 1.5" thread x 1.5"
barbed is actual 1.5" thread x 1 5/8" barbed.

Stop by your local boat store and pick up a nylon 1.5" fitting...the
barbs on those are 1.5".

Not sure what you mean here. The one fitting is the plastic 1" - 1 1/2"
adapter that I bought at a marine store (and it says "1 1/2" right on
it!). The other is the existing brass suction-break that was used with
1 1/2" diesel filler hose.

Never mind what it says...measure the OD. You'll find that nominal (what
it's supposed to be) and actual (what it is) aren't always the same.

PVC plumbing fittings aren't made just for the marine industry...they're
the same PVC fittings that are used throughout the plumbing industry.
I've never found anyone who knows the reason for it, but ALL gray pvc
1.5" thread x 1.5" barbed fittings are actual 1 5/8" barbed. But they're
all marked 1.5 x 1.5. This is only true of 1.5"...for all other sizes,
nominal and actual are the same.

What's more, plumbing fittings--PVC, bronze, or anything else--aren't
made to aerospace tolerances...wall thicknesses of two "identical"
fittings can vary by as much as 50%, which can affect the ID, OD or
both. And OdorSafe hose is so stiff that even a 1/16th an inch can make
it very hard to get onto one.

However, nylon and marelon fittings are made specifically for the marine
industry...and nominal 1.5 x 1.5 fittings are ACTUAL 1.5 x 1.5.

Btw...you said brass...most marine fittings are bronze. If it really IS
brass, I wouldn't use it in a sanitation hose...urine is corrosive and
brass is likely to get clogged up with vertigris.

Warm the hose--don't overheat it!--and put a
little dish soap on the inside of it and on the fitting. You should be
able to get it the hose onto it. I can.

Thanks - I'll try it! If I can't, can you make a house-call to Vancouver,
Canada?

Sure, if you'll pay my travel expenses!

Not sure I can get a hairdrier at this hose.

Lloyd, if you can get at it to work on it, you can get a blow dryer
close enough to it to warm it a bit. That's why they make extension
cords.

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Don White

Ouch again!
Peggy...you are BAD!

I had better stay on your good side. TheMirage 33 I crew on is also having a
problem with a head that was replaced only two years ago. We sailed on a
six hour trip yesterday without toilet facilities and something has to be
done.
I'll get the toilet model and make this weekend.
The problem... we can't expell contents of bowl.
We're guessing we may have a blockage in the line
or the pump mechanism is faulty
or the y valve that used to direct waste water
somehow got turned to the holding tank line that has
been cutoff and capped and is stuck there. When
we turn this valve (on a1983 boat) no resistance is
felt.
We don't use the holding tank as the dirty water is expelled directly
through the thru hull
I'll post again with more info. later as the boat is at our summer club in
St. Margaret's Bay and we don't have the full service
repair people on hand as we would at the Squadron.