Lloyd Sumpter

Default Jabsco Head - help!

Hi,

Just getting my new holding tank in, and have discovered that the
reason the discharge hose was leaking at the head was that the outlet
fitting is too small. The hose fits over it easily instead of barely
squeezing on - seems like it's for maybe 1 3/8" ID hose or something (my
hose is 1 1/2" ID).

I remember the problem: I replaced the old head (Cheap Wilcox?) with
a cheap manual Jabsco (I know, but it seems to work fine, and I like being
able to flush without a battery), but the 45 deg outlet wouldn't work with
my plumbing. I used the outlet off the old head, which fit the head fine,
but doesn't seem to fit the hose.

Any ideas? can I get a 90-deg outlet for the Jabsco? Some kind of
adapter? Peggy? (got your book - Good Stuff!)

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - with the biggest holding tank!

Wayne.B

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:13:49 -0700, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:
Just getting my new holding tank in, and have discovered that the
reason the discharge hose was leaking at the head was that the outlet
fitting is too small. The hose fits over it easily instead of barely
squeezing on - seems like it's for maybe 1 3/8" ID hose or something (my
hose is 1 1/2" ID).

The quick and dirty solution if all else fails is to build up the
output fitting with something like duct tape untill you get a snug
fit. Be sure and use double hose clamps.
LaBomba182

Subject: Jabsco Head - help!
From: "Lloyd Sumpter"

Hi,

Just getting my new holding tank in, and have discovered that the
reason the discharge hose was leaking at the head was that the outlet
fitting is too small. The hose fits over it easily instead of barely
squeezing on - seems like it's for maybe 1 3/8" ID hose or something (my
hose is 1 1/2" ID).

I remember the problem: I replaced the old head (Cheap Wilcox?) with
a cheap manual Jabsco (I know, but it seems to work fine, and I like being
able to flush without a battery), but the 45 deg outlet wouldn't work with
my plumbing. I used the outlet off the old head, which fit the head fine,
but doesn't seem to fit the hose.

Any ideas? can I get a 90-deg outlet for the Jabsco? Some kind of
adapter? Peggy? (got your book - Good Stuff!)

Never seen 1 3/8 head hose. But if you are using the white type of head hose,
just heat it up with a heat gun and clamp it while it is still hot and pliable.

Capt. Bill
K. Smith

wrote:
Just getting my new holding tank in, and have discovered that the
reason the discharge hose was leaking at the head was that the outlet
fitting is too small. The hose fits over it easily instead of barely
squeezing on - seems like it's for maybe 1 3/8" ID hose or something (my
hose is 1 1/2" ID).

The quick and dirty solution if all else fails is to build up the
output fitting with something like duct tape untill you get a snug
fit. Be sure and use double hose clamps.

The usual way is to put an inch or so of the correct 1 3/8" hose on the
fitting then put the 1 1/2" hose over that, clamp as usual.

Just for form & I accept you will never ever be interested Lloyd
but............. get rid of the toilet pump completely (just screw a
stainless or even placky plate over where it bolts to the base & take the
waste out the other end which has a standard screw pipe fitting plug in it),
it's just about the worst design possible & unhealthy to boot (that small
amount of water that come out each time you push down?? it's polluted by the
leakage past the piston, wash your hands properly "every" time!!!!!!)

Use a small cheap 1 " bilge pump for the inlet, you can really get some
water flowing for a good flush.

Use a separate bigger 1 1/2 inch bilge pump for the outlet.

Put both on the wall so they're easy to operate & clean.

It will never smell, will last years & years & in the highly unlikely
event someone does manage to block it??? most bilge pumps have an "O" ringed
screw on face that makes the cleanup much more manageable into a bucket, if
still not exactly pleasant:-)

The toilet spruikers go on & on about buying their ripoff priced
"special" hoses etc etc etc but seem to be in denial that most marine heads
have no more than an "O" ring piston running in a placky bore between the
waste side & the water inlet side & from there to the boat's cabin, which is
where the real smell emanates. Even the cheapest hoses will last years if
you use plenty of water to flush; which with the bilge pump system you will
easily.

Regards,

Lloyd Sumpter

wrote:
Just getting my new holding tank in, and have discovered that the
reason the discharge hose was leaking at the head was that the outlet
fitting is too small. The hose fits over it easily instead of barely
squeezing on - seems like it's for maybe 1 3/8" ID hose or something (my
hose is 1 1/2" ID).

The quick and dirty solution if all else fails is to build up the
output fitting with something like duct tape untill you get a snug
fit. Be sure and use double hose clamps.

Yeah, I thought of that... but my experience is that it's never a good,
watertight fit, at least not for long.

It's frustrating that I may have to replace a perfectly good $200 head
because of a $10 fitting!

Lloyd

Peggie Hall

Lloyd, all you have to do to solve the problem is call Jabsco and tell
'em you need a 1.5" straight or 90 discharge fitting for your new toilet.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
[...]

Peggie Hall

The usual way is to put an inch or so of the correct 1 3/8" hose on the
fitting then put the 1 1/2" hose over that, clamp as usual.

Wouldn't it be simpler--and a more reliable fix--to just replace the
fitting with one that's the correct size?

Just for form & I accept you will never ever be interested Lloyd
but............. get rid of the toilet pump completely (just screw a
stainless or even placky plate over where it bolts to the base & take the
waste out the other end which has a standard screw pipe fitting plug in it),
it's just about the worst design possible & unhealthy to boot (that small
amount of water that come out each time you push down?? it's polluted by the
leakage past the piston, wash your hands properly "every" time!!!!!!)

Use a small cheap 1 " bilge pump for the inlet, you can really get some
water flowing for a good flush.

Use a separate bigger 1 1/2 inch bilge pump for the outlet.

Again...wouldn't it be simpler to buy a decent quality toilet that won't
leak and flush it enough to rinse the waste out of the hoses? A cheap
bilge pump isn't likely to be much more durable or reliable than a cheap
toilet and is no more fun to clean out.

How do you propose avoiding any engine maintenance? Replace it with oars?

Peggie
----------
[...]

Don White

He he!
Had the same problem this week with the windshield washer hose under my
van's hood.
Needed 3/16" ID hose.
'Crappy Tire' only had 5/32" & 7/32" ID.
D'oh! After all the trouble fiddling with the new hose, and watching my
wife's delight in pressing the wash control while I was working on it.... I
ended up cutting a coupleof inches off the old hose and it fit fine.

The ol' Jabsco 37010 Paul General 0 August 8th 03 03:50 AM
Nannidiesel 2.50 - 14HP : used 88 hrs then cylinder head gasket failure ! Jean-Pierre Trolet General 0 July 30th 03 09:32 PM
Water accumulating in front of head on Sea Ray 240DA Mike in Boston General 4 July 30th 03 08:33 PM