Peggie Hall

Default Hose off, now Thruhull problem!

bomar wrote:
I think this is one of those scenarios where
someone asks for advice but has made up their mind as to what they
what to do and no amount of logic will dissuade them from straying
from the course they have set. Gonna be one Hell of a mess....

I couldn't add anything to that if I spent a whole day trying to think
of something.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

del cecchi

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
Jack Rye wrote:
Peggie, Not to mention Typhoid, Cholera, Viral Hepatitis and a

range of
stomach and intestinal diseases. All this and more, from a sink of

sewage
can be theirs.

In all fairness,I doubt that there are many carriers of typhoid,

cholera
and hepatitis in Lloyd's family...or among the "weekend warrior"
recreational boating population as a whole. But still...

You would be surprised about how many folks are carrying Hepatitis
around. That is why immunization against it is now required for school
children, at least in Minnesota.

(snip)

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Author "Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems

and
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Don White

This reminds me of a local TV production by a former co-worker ...'Trailer
Park Boys'
They are always talking about '**** storms', '**** hitting the fan' etc etc.

bomar wrote:
I think this is one of those scenarios where
someone asks for advice but has made up their mind as to what they
what to do and no amount of logic will dissuade them from straying
from the course they have set. Gonna be one Hell of a mess....

I couldn't add anything to that if I spent a whole day trying to think
of something.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Lloyd Sumpter

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:41:27 +0000, Peggie Hall wrote:

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
Sorry, again a misunderstanding. I REMOVED the sink connection and
replaced it with the holding tank outflow. No T.

Oh...that's a little different! You had me worried!

Reducing the macerator output hose by 25% (from 1" to 3/4") could cause
some backup from the thru-hull to the macerator...there's usually a
reason why equipment mfrs spec output size and it has to do with whether
the pump is pushing it through a hose faster than the hose size will
let it flow.

The sink now drains into
the bilge (we don't use it much anyway)

Yccch...that oughta keep your boat smelling great.

In my experience, it's always cheaper and easier in the long run to do
anything right the first time than it is to jury rig it and then go back
and do it over--or worse yet, have to keep on jury rigging and working
around the jury rig to keep it working. Sooner or later you're gonna
have to haul the boat--even if only for a short haul--to service/replace
all the thru-hulls...why not just do it all now and get it over with?

....because "now" is less than 1 wk from a 2-wk sailing trip that needs a
holding tank. I'll be hauling the boat out for an extended period this
winter to replace the engine, so why not do it then?

Remember, I said I'll have to cut out the seat to get at this thruhull -
not exactly a 2-hr job!

BTW: I have a GOOD look at all the thruhulls every year when I haul out.
And, as far I can tell, this thruhull is still sound - it's the seacock
that's failed (closed, fortunately!). Ideally I could replace the seacock
with the boat still in the water, but as I said, I'd be afraid of damaging
the thruhull. I will probably leave the thruhull and replace the seacock.
Why? Because NEXT year, I'll be repairing the osmosis, which involves
pretty much stripping the hull, and replacing the thruhulls would be
trivial (required?) at that time.

And, in general, I agree with your sentiment: after all, I've just spent
$2000 to install a holding tank. I coworker was amazed: he'd just
installed one a year or so ago, same size, $700. A few hours later, he was
lamenting that it smelled...I recommended he buy your book. I also have
10ft of "odorfree" 1.5" hose I could let him have cheap!

Lloyd

Lloyd Sumpter

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
The sink now drains into
the bilge (we don't use it much anyway)

Yccch...that oughta keep your boat smelling great.

Not THAT bad - this is the sink in the head, used just for washing hands
and brushing teeth.

Lloyd

Lloyd Sumpter

I must admit I wasn't thinking of pressure when looking at the 3/4"
fitting, just whether or not it would clog. The "system" works, and the pump
does not heat up - I would assume the increased pressure is equivalent to
having to pump to a higher elevation (If I get enthusiastic, I'll brush off
my rusty Process Control skills and calculate how much of a height of
water would be equivalent to the 3/4" restriction...)

And as for the advice, I was asking about whether a 1" hose is a good
idea, not the 3/4" fitting, which I know is a bad idea, but better than
dumping it into the bilge, which at this time is my other option. If the
1" hose is OK, I'll continue to use it when I replace the 1.5" seacock,
otherwise I'll replace it.

Lloyd

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 22:54:26 +0000, bomar wrote:

The pressure will not be dissipated in the line to the thru hull (ok, yes
there will be some pressure drop, but it's inconsequential), and the back
pressure will increase with the additional hose length from the macerator.
I think this is one of those scenarios where someone asks for advice but has
made up their mind as to what they what to do and no amount of logic will
dissuade them from straying from the course they have set.
Gonna be one Hell of a mess....

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
bomar wrote:
Peggie-
Check your math....
Assuming true 1" and ¾" id, this is a reduction of 44% not 25%

3.14 (.5)² = .785
3.14 (.375)² = .4415
.4415 / .785 = .5625
¾" hose is 56% of 1" hose, so the ¾" hose is 44% smaller, not 25%

Thanks...math was never my strongest subject. I was only referring to
the diameter. A 44% reduction in hose volume makes things even more
interesting.

Where he put the macerator will have a lot to do with it. So how 'bout
applying a little more of your math skills.

He said the hose is 10' long. The flow through a Jabsco macerator is 12
gal/minute. If he put it close to the tank--say within a foot, will the
distance to the thru-hull permit enough dissipation in pressure to
prevent backpressure? If he put the macerator at the other end--near
the the thru-hull, it'll prob'ly be a moot point because the macerator
will take so long to prime that the impeller will prob'ly fry before it
can (Jabsco specs call for 4' max if the impeller is dry)....but
assuming that it doesn't, what's likely to happen?

I wonder why the the phrase "trying to stuff 12 lbs of $#!* into a 10 lb
bag" has suddenly started running through my head....

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

LaBomba182

Subject: Hose off, now Thruhull problem!
From: "Lloyd Sumpter"

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
The sink now drains into
the bilge (we don't use it much anyway)

Yccch...that oughta keep your boat smelling great.

Not THAT bad - this is the sink in the head, used just for washing hands
and brushing teeth.

Do yourself a favor and get it to drain over board.

Capt. Bill
Lloyd Sumpter

From: "Lloyd Sumpter"

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
The sink now drains into
the bilge (we don't use it much anyway)

Yccch...that oughta keep your boat smelling great.

Not THAT bad - this is the sink in the head, used just for washing hands
and brushing teeth.

Do yourself a favor and get it to drain over board.

As I said earlier, I plan to. Other option is simply not have a sink in
the head until I've replaced the sewage seacock.

Lloyd

Lloyd Sumpter

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 23:23:56 +0000, Peggie Hall wrote:

bomar wrote:
I think this is one of those scenarios where
someone asks for advice but has made up their mind as to what they
what to do and no amount of logic will dissuade them from straying
from the course they have set. Gonna be one Hell of a mess....

I couldn't add anything to that if I spent a whole day trying to think
of something.

(Rant mode ON)

Ya know, this is a peeve I have about this NG, and even more so
rec.boats.building. I'll ask for advice on one aspect of my project, get
copious amounts of advice other parts (none on the part I want assistance
on), and get dissed of ignoring the advice.

In this case, I have a time and budget-constraint that keeps me from
doing this as per the advice.

(Story mode ON)
I grew up on a farm. Here, maybe the tongue breaks on the haywagon. Now,
the PROPER way it to have it welded. But:
- you're in the middle of a hayfield, no welder in sight
- the welder in town is closed all weekend, it's Saturday, and it's gonna
rain on Sunday

So...do you do it the "proper" way: take it to the welder and have your
hay rained on? Or do you find a 2x4, strap it on with some baling-wire,
and get the hay in?

(Story mode OFF)

I'm well aware of how it SHOULD be done, and it WILL be done that way
when I haul the boat this winter (I won't mention the Project for fear
of getting all kinds of advice on it...). The ONE thing I wanted advice on
is whether or not I should continue to use the 1" hose, or convert to
1.5". THAT was never addressed! I was told to replace all the thruhulls,
not use the 3/4" thruhull, use a thruhull for the sink (what, drill a new
one??), not use the same thruhull for the sink as the sewage (I'm not),
etc., but NOTHING on the topic I asked advice on!

Maybe I tell too much - I should just post the part that I want advice
on?

(Rant mode OFF)

Sorry, I do get lots of good advice from this NG, but sometimes I get
frustrated...

Lloyd

bomar

Lloyd-
Welcome to usenet, where the weak and sickly get thinned from the herd and
devoured.
All responses here are made from behind a wall of anonymity so sometimes it
tends to be brutal but factual.
Most of us here know you want to do the right thing and eventually will,
but please allow us the pleasure of picking apart your blow by blow account
for any weakness we may find and imploring our derision upon them.
Ya get what ya pay for!!!!
It's all (well mostly) in good spirit!
Best of luck....
BTW.... I have personally "engineered" some emergency "repairs" that would
curl your toes...ever tow an automobile down an interstate with jumper
cables????

news

bomar wrote:
[...]

Is problem with O-Ring Seal or Valve Body Rural Knight General 10 December 7th 04 07:39 PM
How do I get a hose on a fitting? Lloyd Sumpter General 21 August 22nd 03 05:43 PM
Yahmaha Problem Frank General 0 August 19th 03 10:01 PM
back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM
96 Sea Doo Speedster Starting Problem - Odd Noise From ElectricalBox? David Wolfenbarger General 0 July 17th 03 02:51 AM