BoatBanter.com

-   -   Hose off, now Thruhull problem! (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/802-hose-off-now-thruhull-problem.html)

Lloyd Sumpter August 23rd 03 06:48 AM

Hose off, now Thruhull problem!

Hi,

Finally got that old hose off with a hacksaw and a fair amount of
flame. Problem is, I STILL haven't found the blockage! I usually find that
if the blockage is in the thruhull, opening the valve with the hose off
gives a blast of reverse water that clears it. This time, NOTHING! not a
trickle.

Obviously, I can't remove the thruhull without hauling the boat, so I'm
looking for alternatives. One thought - could the handle on the thruhull
be broken and the valve is just not opening? Seems to be doing
something... Or, I can get my Lady the semi-fish to dive under and poke at
it from the outside with a stick, making sure she doesn't leave the stick in.
If that doesn't work, can I use the 1" thruhull currently used for the
head sink drain? Either T it, or live without a sink in the head until I
haul the boat.

Comments? Suggestions?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - c/w holding tank where water goes in, but doesn't
go out...

Keith August 23rd 03 08:06 AM

Hose off, now Thruhull problem!

You should be able to stick a coathanger or something through the open
thru-hull to knock out whatever's blocking it. I'm surprised it's so totally
"waterproof". Maybe you have a plastic bag stuck on the outside?

--

Keith
__

Wayne.B August 23rd 03 12:25 PM

Hose off, now Thruhull problem!

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 02:06:29 -0500, "Keith"
wrote:
You should be able to stick a coathanger or something through the open
thru-hull to knock out whatever's blocking it. I'm surprised it's so totally
"waterproof". Maybe you have a plastic bag stuck on the outside?

========================

Probably just barnacles and other marine growth. They can build an
amazingly efficient "plug" given enough time. I agree with the advice
to snake something through from the inside.

Wwj2110 August 23rd 03 12:49 PM

Hose off, now Thruhull problem!

send her down there with a plunger

Jack Rye August 23rd 03 01:42 PM

Hose off, now Thruhull problem!

Take a dive and see if your underwater thru hull is covered with critters.
chances are that you'll be able to clean it from out side. In case you need
to remove the valve from the thru hull pound in a bung to keep the water
from coming in. While your down there, check to see if your hull needs to be
scraped. Never take the divers word that they did a thorough cleaning with
out checking their work.

Jack

LaBomba182 August 23rd 03 02:19 PM

Hose off, now Thruhull problem!

Subject: Hose off, now Thruhull problem!
From: "Lloyd Sumpter"

Hi,

Finally got that old hose off with a hacksaw and a fair amount of
flame. Problem is, I STILL haven't found the blockage! I usually find that
if the blockage is in the thruhull, opening the valve with the hose off
gives a blast of reverse water that clears it. This time, NOTHING! not a
trickle.

Obviously, I can't remove the thruhull without hauling the boat, so I'm
looking for alternatives. One thought - could the handle on the thruhull
be broken and the valve is just not opening?

Possible, but doubtful.

Seems to be doing
something... Or, I can get my Lady the semi-fish to dive under and poke at
it from the outside with a stick,

I guess that would be up to her. But why not try poking the stick through from
the inside?

making sure she doesn't leave the stick in.

Good idea.

If that doesn't work, can I use the 1" thruhull currently used for the
head sink drain? Either T it, or live without a sink in the head until I
haul the boat.

Sorry, lost track of what the plugged thurhull is for. If it's for your head I
would not T it.

Capt. Bill

Lloyd Sumpter August 23rd 03 04:38 PM

wrote:
You should be able to stick a coathanger or something through the open
thru-hull to knock out whatever's blocking it. I'm surprised it's so totally
"waterproof". Maybe you have a plastic bag stuck on the outside?

========================

Probably just barnacles and other marine growth. They can build an
amazingly efficient "plug" given enough time. I agree with the advice
to snake something through from the inside.

Thanks!

It happened rather suddenly, so I don't think it's barny's at least not
initially (might be that there's marine growth in the clog, making it more
waterproof) (Go ahead, say it: I'm a big sh*t! :) )

Can't really get at it from the inside: There is the thruhull itself, the
valve, an elbow and a hosebarb, all "welded" together with 20 years of
corrosion (all bronze). 1/2" above the elbow is a fibreglass seat, and the
whole arrangement is accessed via a 8" x 8" port on the side. As I said in
another thread, I suspect Catalina put in this fitting and hose BEFORE
glassing in the seat!

I've tried jamming a bent coathanger in from the inside with no success.

Lloyd

Lloyd Sumpter August 24th 03 04:56 AM

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 22:48:45 +0000, Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

Hi,

Finally got that old hose off with a hacksaw and a fair amount of
flame. Problem is, I STILL haven't found the blockage! I usually find that
if the blockage is in the thruhull, opening the valve with the hose off
gives a blast of reverse water that clears it. This time, NOTHING! not a
trickle.

Update: I got my Lady to dive in and bang away at it from the outside (no
sign of barnys or other growth). She confirmed what I suspected: she hit
something solid, as I did when I was poking with a wire from the inside.

The valve is stuck closed, and the lever is broken.

There's no way I'm messing with this while it's in the water (I can just
see me reefing on a 2-ft pipewrench to try to get the fitting free and
cracking the thruhull itself...). So, I "closed" the valve and capped the
fitting, then used the sink thruhull (3/4") for the holding tank outlet.
Not too big a stretch: the macerator outlet is 1". I converted the outlet
hose from 1 1/2" to 1" as well, to reduce the backwash when the pump
stops. I figure if it has to go through a foot of 1" hose, why not 10 ft?

I'll make do with the smaller thruhull until I haul the boat, then "get
serious" with the bigger one.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36: now with (working!) 35 gal holding tank!

Dave Skolnick August 24th 03 12:12 PM

Hose off, now Thruhull problem!

Finally got that old hose off with a hacksaw and a fair amount of
flame. Problem is, I STILL haven't found the blockage! I usually find that
if the blockage is in the thruhull, opening the valve with the hose off
gives a blast of reverse water that clears it. This time, NOTHING! not a
trickle.

Update: I got my Lady to dive in and bang away at it from the outside (no
sign of barnys or other growth). She confirmed what I suspected: she hit
something solid, as I did when I was poking with a wire from the inside.

The valve is stuck closed, and the lever is broken.

Do you have someplace local that will let you do a haul & hold? If you
have all the parts and supplies in hand (including a new thruhull) you
should be able to fix it in the slings. Buy every part you can think of
-- heck buy two -- and return what you don't use.

I would suggest not putting off a haul -- if the seacock is as knackered
as you describe, what else is about to let go?

dave

Jack Rye August 24th 03 01:18 PM

Hose off, now Thruhull problem!

Well Lloyd since you've made your decision. Then replace every thru hull
when you pull your boat. 20 years is a long time for bronze.

I would suspect that after 20 years the clog you are talking about caused by
galvanic action.

Jack