Default Sold the Scout - new twist

Guy came by, checked out the Scout and hauled it away at about 6 pm. He
paid for it, some cash and the bulk with a bank check from a local bank. He
seemed very knowledgeable about boats and claimed he had a commercial
fishing. He indicated that he was buying the boat for a relative to do some
coastal fishing. He also indicated he was not sure who the boat would be
titled or registered to yet ... he mentioned possibly his mother ... so we
left the buyer's name blank on the title.

I received an e-mail later this evening from another guy who had been
interested in the boat.
He told me the boat I sold was now listed on the Rhode Island Craigslist for
significantly more money than I sold it for. I checked, and sure enough,
it's there, off the trailer and in what appears to be a boatyard, surrounded
by other boats. The location was given as MA and the wording of the listing
sure sounds like that of a boat dealer. The listing time was sometime around
7:30 pm, or an hour and a half after he left my yard.

Looks like the buyer is either a dealer or he decided to try to "flip" the
boat to make some money. My first thought was "scam", but I doubt his bank
check is phony because I know how to get hold of him and I know his
location. Interesting.

Eisboch

Interesting indeed, but as long as you are happy with the sale, and the bank
check is good, that's all that matters. We have a block yard sale every
year, and the early birds are generally looking for stuff cheap; only to
turn around and sell the stuff at the flea market. Once they pay me and take
the item, I don't care what they do with it.

--Mike

On Mar 28, 9:03�pm, "Eisboch" wrote:
[...]

Begging the question; was Craig's List magic, or was the boat so
underpriced that the email was flooding in?

It will be interesting to see what happens to the boat at a
"substantially higher" price- but the bottom line is that if you are
happy with the price you received and the buyer is (at least for now)
obviously excited about the price he paid then you didn't make a bad
deal.

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
oups.com...

Begging the question; was Craig's List magic, or was the boat so
underpriced that the email was flooding in?

It will be interesting to see what happens to the boat at a
"substantially higher" price- but the bottom line is that if you are
happy with the price you received and the buyer is (at least for now)
obviously excited about the price he paid then you didn't make a bad
deal.

It's getting even weirder. I downloaded the pictures listed on the RI
Craigslist listing and, although poor quality, when I blew them up and
zoomed in, I realized it's not the same boat. The GPS and VHF antennas are
in different locations, the RI listing appears to have trim tabs ... mine
didn't .... the leaning post is of a different design ... and mine had a
Sunbrella cuddy canvas that the RI listing does not have. But ... the
description of the boat, including 23 hours on the engine meter, the
electronics and the trailer match exactly. It *could* be coincidental that
two, different 2003 Scouts have exactly the same engine hours, electronics
and trailer, or he may have used other pictures to represent my boat.

To answer your question regarding Craigslist ... I don't know. I sold it
for well under current market value and "as is" because it hadn't been run
for over 2 years and it needed to be checked out and serviced. The RI
listing is just about what current market value is. What's nice about
Craigslist is that it is regional, so you don't get a lot of remote
"buyers". I've had good luck using it.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message
[...]

#$%$^% *******. he probably kept some half decent fisherman from getting a
good deal.

Don White wrote:
"Eisboch" wrote in message
[...]

Don, Have you ever talked to anyone about this pent up rage?

Is this it? http://providence.craigslist.org/boa/302194139.html

"JimH" wrote in message

Is this it? http://providence.craigslist.org/boa/302194139.html

Yup. Except that on close inspection the pics are not of my boat. There are
a few minor differences plus the fact that there's no way he could have left
my house after 6pm, as dusk was approaching, trailered it to a boatyard, got
it off the trailer and taken pictures in broad daylight both on blocks and
in the water by 7:48pm which is the time of the Providence posting.

That's what is really weird, because the description of the boat and
electronics, including the 23 engine hours, *exactly* matches my boat.
Also, when he was here he commented on how "economical" the Yamaha 200 hp 4
stroke was .... the same words used in the listing.

Eisboch

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 15:02:50 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"JimH" wrote in message
.. .

Is this it? http://providence.craigslist.org/boa/302194139.html

Yup. Except that on close inspection the pics are not of my boat. There are
a few minor differences plus the fact that there's no way he could have left
my house after 6pm, as dusk was approaching, trailered it to a boatyard, got
it off the trailer and taken pictures in broad daylight both on blocks and
in the water by 7:48pm which is the time of the Providence posting.

That's what is really weird, because the description of the boat and
electronics, including the 23 engine hours, *exactly* matches my boat.
Also, when he was here he commented on how "economical" the Yamaha 200 hp 4
stroke was .... the same words used in the listing.

I'd bet money it's your boat with a different picture.

I have heard of flippers doing this off eBay - I can imagine it might
be the same for craigslist.

"Eisboch" wrote in message
[...]

Richard,

That is your boat.

Go to this URL and you'll see the same pix from Craig's list.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1604297/0

I'll bet the guy that's offering it on Craig's list just used the pictures
in his add.

Sorry my buddy in RI didn't recognize a real bargain and wanted you to have
the motor serviced.

Oh well, our loss.

Sold the Scout Eisboch General 36 March 30th 07 02:48 AM
Scout messed up! Frank Boettcher ASA 3 October 17th 06 09:17 AM
Last remaining White Star Line vessel to be sold for scrap Katzowtadbag Tall Ships 0 December 30th 05 01:36 AM
used sail material needed for scout projects seascoutleader Boat Building 3 October 6th 04 01:36 AM
FS: O'Day in NY, SOLD Bobsprit Marketplace 0 May 9th 04 12:26 PM