Default trucks (was Sold the Scout - new twist)

Eisboch wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Speaking of diesel trucks, one of my ex-pat retiree buddies, who lives in
Costa Rica, just bought for $18,000, a very nice four-seater Kia diesel
pickup truck. Not a model sold in this country.

I've been half thinking of trading in the F-350 on something else, but I
don't know what to get. I originally got it to tow a big, 5th wheel RV that
we used once. I occasionally still tow trailers ... the heaviest being a
loaded car trailer ... but I really don't need an F-350 to do that.

There's just nothing out there that has caught my eye. I'll avoid diesel
Fords until they permanently extinguish the tailpipe fires. (although I
understand that their new, 6.4L diesel is quite the performer.)

Eisboch

Tailpipe fires? You know, I don't really keep track of all these strange
happenings with ford diesel trucks. You sure seem to have had some
interesting happenings with that vehicle.

Maybe I should lower my standing offer of $1000 for that truck of yours...

That's $1000 cash...

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Tailpipe fires? You know, I don't really keep track of all these strange
happenings with ford diesel trucks. You sure seem to have had some
interesting happenings with that vehicle.

Maybe I should lower my standing offer of $1000 for that truck of yours...

That's $1000 cash...

The tailpipe fires are occurring on the new models equipped with the EPA
required particulate filter. Apparently the filters are routinely and
automatically heated to a very high temperature to burn off accumulated soot
or something. All new diesel powered trucks have this system ... GM and
Dodge included. In the case of Ford, there has already been a recall due
to documented cases of unburned fuel or something catching fire in the
filter and blowing flames out of the tailpipe. There's a You Tube video of
this happening somewhere on the 'net.

Eisboch

Default Sold the Scout - new twist

"RJSmithers" wrote in message

Whenever non-attorney's give you free advice, realize it is worth exactly
what you have paid for it.

You would not be responsible for any damages or have any more liability
than if someone stole your car and had an accident, even if it was a fatal
accident.

Probably, however Admiralty law is often different than common law. I am
not an expert, but it's something about prior liabilities follow the boat,
not the past owner. There was a case a few years back where the owner of a
boat had caused damage to a restricted sea grass area or reef or something.
He subsequently sold the boat. The environmental guys eventually tracked
the offending boat down and the new owner .... who knew nothing of the event
..... was held financially responsible. He fought it and got the fine
reduced considerably, but still had to pay something like 20K if I recall
the story correctly.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I wonder if things are different if the boat is USCG documented rather than
just registered with the state?

Isn't documentation akin to title insurance?

"NOYB" wrote in message
link.net...

"Eisboch" wrote in message
. ..

Probably, however Admiralty law is often different than common law. I am
not an expert, but it's something about prior liabilities follow the
boat, not the past owner. There was a case a few years back where the
owner of a boat had caused damage to a restricted sea grass area or reef
or something. He subsequently sold the boat. The environmental guys
eventually tracked the offending boat down and the new owner .... who
knew nothing of the event .... was held financially responsible. He
fought it and got the fine reduced considerably, but still had to pay
something like 20K if I recall the story correctly.

I wonder if things are different if the boat is USCG documented rather
than just registered with the state?

Isn't documentation akin to title insurance?

I don't know. In the case I described the boat was a big one and I am sure
it was documented.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message
. ..

"D.Duck" wrote in message

I emailed the guy advertising "your" boat on Craig's List. I asked him
if it was the same rig with the exact same pictures that is advertised on
YachtWorld.com.

Funny thing, no reply. 8)

I also emailed him at the address he originally contacted me with.
Surprise ... no answer.
I have his phone number .... but what's the point .... what's done is
done. If he's a dealer, which I now suspect, he didn't do anything
illegal. I think he was a bit dishonest and shady in the manner in which
he represented himself to me but I have to ask myself this:

If he had been up front and told me he was a dealer and intended to resell
the boat the boat, would it have made any difference to me? The answer is
no. He paid my asking price. I think the only thing that bugs me is the
fact that I think I was more honest in the description of the boat's
condition and history in the original listing and on the referenced link
to my website. On the other hand, he may perform all the service and
maintenance issues the boat and engine require before selling it.

One of the other interested parties that responded to my original listing
... in fact, the one who later discovered and informed me of the boat
being listed again on the Providence Craigslist made an offer to him.

He worded his offer as follows: "I'll give you 500 bucks more than what
you paid for it, $12,500."

Eisboch

Was he dishonest in his dealing with you, in my opinion no.

What gets me, his craigslist ad is very misleading and dishonest by
representing the boat he is selling by using pictures of another boat. Did
yours even have the ladder on the transom?

Just to be a pain in the rear I email the folks at yachtworld.com with the
link to the CraigsList ad. Someone in YW sales responded to me that they
would try to contact him.

Next time you have a deal like this, please let me know. 80

On Mar 30, 6:26�am, "JimH" wrote:
"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 03:15:26 -0400, Eisboch penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

If he's a dealer, which I now suspect, he didn't do anything illegal.

There seems to be way more cloak-and dagger stuff going on here for
something not to be borderline crooked, if not entirely illegal.

Trust me, as a buyer, I got on the wrong end of one of these deals and
you don't want to go there.....

If he sells the boat (with whatever representations he deems
appropriate) and pulls a disappearing act, the two signers of the
paperwork are likely left to duke it out..... You and Whomever....

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://pamandgene.idleplay.net/

Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

Yep. *I would suggest that Richard head down to the brokers place ASAP and
force him to sign the title as the buyer.

An open title is never a good thing.- Hide quoted text -

If the law in that state is the same as the law in Washington, (likely
so, they are pretty uniform) the dealer cannot be forced to sign the
title as buyer.

Dealer's "hold title" rather than "take title".

What Eisboch *should* do, if his state is like WA, is file a "Seller's
Report of Sale". This document goes into the Department of Licensing
and substantiates that the boat was sold on March XX, 2007 to Joe
Doaks. This can be critically important. Let's say that before the
ultimate buyer gets around to putting the title in his name he takes
the boat out for its maiden voyage, does some dumb newbie thing, and
badly injures somebody or worse.
Let's say he flees the scene. When the authorities start tacking down
the ownership of the boat, the last guy they find of record
is.......guess who. Not a pretty picture. It will probably cost as
much as the boat sold for to pay a lawyer to straigten the whole mess
out. Maybe more. If the Seller's Report of Sale is filed, the
authorities will find *that*, instead of Eisboch's title, as the last
activity. Very important.

It sounds like the guy wrote a personal check, or Eisboch would have
known that he sold to XYZ Boat Dealer. In most states, that's co-
mingling of personal and business funds. In some states that would
cost him his license. In a lot of states it is also illegal not to
disclose to a buyer or seller that you are a dealer or broker, but I
can't say in this case.

Tempting as it might be to "go after" this guy, remember that he
showed up as promised, paid the asking price without quibbling, and
that his check ultimately proved to be good at the bank. He did
business on the seller's terms all the way, and performed as promised.
It's no crime simply to be a dealer.

Eisboch wrote:
[...]

Then you'll advertise in on craigslist.com for the true value. 8)

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip...
It's no crime simply to be a dealer.

Yes but...they are a shady bunch! ;-)

Sold the Scout Eisboch General 36 March 30th 07 02:48 AM
Scout messed up! Frank Boettcher ASA 3 October 17th 06 09:17 AM
Last remaining White Star Line vessel to be sold for scrap Katzowtadbag Tall Ships 0 December 30th 05 01:36 AM
used sail material needed for scout projects seascoutleader Boat Building 3 October 6th 04 01:36 AM
FS: O'Day in NY, SOLD Bobsprit Marketplace 0 May 9th 04 12:26 PM