Lord Reginald Smithers

Default Eyewitness: "I Never Heard the Word 'Bomb'"

Harry,
Do you still have me filtered or unfiltered?

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Don White wrote:
Lord Reginald Smithers wrote:
Bill,
Harry is not anti-handgun, he likes to shot handguns. He just doesn't
want anyone else to own a handgun.

..or at least, none of the gun happy righties.

Is Smitherscum still claiming I own handguns?

--
Alternative energy: New locations to drill for gas and oil.

Doug Kanter

Default Better *Defensive* Handgun

"Don White" wrote in message
news
Harry Krause wrote:
Doug Kanter wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Skipper wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:

I've fitted Crimson Trace Laser grips to my S/W .357 magnum on the
theory that once the perp realizes there is a bright red dot moving
about the middle of his chest a motivation change will result. Thus,
no
need to pull the trigger...the ultimate *defensive* weapon.

When did you get a pardon? Ex-felons aren't usually allowed ownership
of
handguns. Even wheel guns.

So, which is the better *defensive* handgun, a S&W .357 mag fitted
with
laser grips or a Glock auto?

--
Skipper

I'd take a Glock 34 any day over that wheelgun. Fully legal mag on the
Glock holds 17 rounds, standard barrel is 5" long, and if you need
them, lasergrips are available. Oh, and my guess is the semi-auto
mechanism is inherently more accurate than the wheelgun's.

You have a single or double action wheelgun? If double, you keep a
chamber empty for safety's sake? If so, that means the G34 mag holds
more than three times the number of rounds.

You've got it backwards. Single action guns are more likely to be a
problem with the hammer closed on a loaded chamber. And, unless his gun
is ancient, it has a transfer bar.

The single-action Ruger wheelgun I sometimes shoot has a transfer bar. In
fact, I believe all Ruger single-actions these days have transfer bars.

I'd still prefer a G34 for "defense" over that snubby wheelgun. Fast,
accurate, light, 5" barrel, hardly any slap, 17-round mags with the
ability to slap a fresh, loaded mag in far faster than you can reload a
wheel gun.

I've never owned a handgun and probably never will.
Just wondering...which style is the most reliable......less chance of
jambing?

Revolvers fail mostly when you get a bad round of ammunition whose primer
fails to make a spark. I've never seen this. If it happens, you just pull
the trigger again. The bad round moves out of battery, bringing in another
one. With a semi-auto, the most likely problem is when the spent shell
doesn't eject. This keeps the slide from cycling, and the next round doesn't
come up from the magazine. This can happen due to poor design, or more
likely, "limp-wristing" - not holding the gun firmly enough. This bad habit
is so easy to demonstrate that it usually just takes one instance of it for
a shooter to correct the mistake.

Some semi-autos will misbehave with certain brands of ammo. So, you figure
this out during practice and don't buy that ammo any more.

Skipper

Don White wrote:

I've never owned a handgun and probably never will.
Just wondering...which style is the most reliable......less chance of
jambing?

The revolver is more dependable, but only slightly better with the new
auto actions. I've blown up a P-38 Walther. I've never had that unhappy
experience with a double or single action, black or smokeless powder
pistol. Shotguns are another matter, weak pin springs can cause constant
jams.

--
Skipper
Lord Reginald Smithers

Harry,
It is interesting to note that while Skipper is recommending use a gun with
a laser weapon so he does not have to shot the perp. Harry recommends a gun
that will allow him to easily place multiple bullets into the perp.

Harry, after you shot him with the 17 rounds, I recommend you bring him
outside and run him over with the truck.

Skipper wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:

So, which is the better *defensive* handgun, a S&W .357 mag fitted with
laser grips or a Glock auto?

I'd take a Glock 34 any day over that wheelgun. Fully legal mag on the
Glock holds 17 rounds, standard barrel is 5" long, and if you need them,
lasergrips are available. Oh, and my guess is the semi-auto mechanism is
inherently more accurate than the wheelgun's.

You have a single or double action wheelgun? If double, you keep a
chamber empty for safety's sake? If so, that means the G34 mag holds
more than three times the number of rounds.

Any auto is inherently dangerous for the occasional user *particularly*
in a stressful situation. The double action is much safer. Further, the
persuasive nature of the laser cannot be underestimated to defuse the
situation. The better *defensive* weapon is the S&W.

--
Skipper

Please, Snipper. Stop with the absurdities.

--
GOP Credo: Just pretend it's all ok.

Doug Kanter

"Skipper" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

Any auto is inherently dangerous for the occasional user *particularly*
in a stressful situation. The double action is much safer. Further, the
persuasive nature of the laser cannot be underestimated to defuse the
situation. The better *defensive* weapon is the S&W.

Why do you think an auto is more dangerous?

Far more likely to fire an unintended round while aimed at the perp.
Both guns can kill, the double action is the safer gun in the hands of a
nervous owner...for obvious reasons. There must be the threat of bodily
harm *before* pulling the trigger.

--
Skipper

Think about what you just said. "Far more likely to fire an unintended
round..."

If you have a 6 shot revolver with 6 rounds loaded, it is ready to fire if
you pull the trigger. Unless it's one of the newer ones with a built-in key
lock, there is no safety. YOU are the safety.

I use a 40 cal. Kahr. I usually don't carry with one in the chamber, but
sometimes I do. There is no safety on this gun. If there's a round in the
chamber, the gun is precisely as safe or dangerous as yours. You may claim
that because yours has an external hammer, which is heavier, there's a more
tactile warning when the trigger is gradually pulled, but that would be
wrong.

Doug Kanter

"Skipper" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

If you're a civvie pulling a handgun, you better be intent on using it,
not defusing with it.

"Prepared to go all the way" is correct. Knowing how to NOT go all the
way
is preferred. Call your attorney and ask this question:

"God forbid I have to ever use my gun on an intruder in my home, do you
have
the name of an attorney I'd need to call afterward?"

I asked mine this question. She gave me the names of three very
experienced
criminal attorneys. Even if you are correct in using the gun, even if it
was
caught on videotape and the perp had a criminal record as long as your
arm,
you'll still be briefly treated like a criminal. Better to avoid it.

Well stated! Do you have a law enforcement background?

No. You may have heard that there are 118 people in this country who still
know where to find the library. I'm one of them. I read.

Don White

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

Don White wrote:

Might be better to take your angle cutter pliers and cut the plug off.

ooops......... meant *diagonal cutters*

Could I use a meat cleaver or pruning shears?

I would say...if you came screaming into the room with the meat cleaver
over your head..and dashed for the tv cutting the plug off in one fell
swoop...that would be as impressive to your son as using a gun.
Just make sure your blinds are drawn. The neighbours might not understand.
Skipper

Harry Krause wrote:

Why do you think an auto is more dangerous?

Far more likely to fire an unintended round while aimed at the perp.
Both guns can kill, the double action is the safer gun in the hands of a
nervous owner...for obvious reasons. There must be the threat of bodily
harm *before* pulling the trigger.

The rule is, keep your finger off the trigger unless and until you plan
on firing a gun. If you follow that rule, you will not be firing off an
"unintended" round. Period.

I'd bet most folks would *not* remember to hold their finger off the
trigger if surprised by a sudden breakin. That finger *will* be on the
trigger.

If some clown breaks into my house at night, he's likely going to get
shot with a 12-gauge. Period. The local sheriff and prosecutor have both
told me personally that they would NOT prosecute a resident who shoots a
perp breaking into their home.

And you will most likely end up jailed, as you should be.

Your depending on a stupid laser light is going to get you killed. With
any luck at all.

I'm not "depending" on the laser. It's a persuader only. Tests have
shown it to be very effective in defusing bad situations until proper
authorities arrive.

--
Skipper
Doug Kanter

"Don White" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

Don White wrote:

Might be better to take your angle cutter pliers and cut the plug off.

ooops......... meant *diagonal cutters*

Could I use a meat cleaver or pruning shears?

I would say...if you came screaming into the room with the meat cleaver
over your head..and dashed for the tv cutting the plug off in one fell
swoop...that would be as impressive to your son as using a gun.
Just make sure your blinds are drawn. The neighbours might not
understand.

Sounds better the more I think about it.

About 6 years ago, my son hit me in the cohones with a hardball during
pitching practice and I ripped him a new asshole, as was appropriate. He
learned some new words that day. I felt terrible, though, and a few days
later, I was discussing it with some friends over beer. My friend Mike made
an interesting observation based on his experiences in his enormous extended
family. When things get bad with a kid, mothers will *usually* ramp up the
response slowly, from calmly correcting the kid, through various levels, and
finally blowing up. Fathers usually go from calm to "holy ****" much faster.
I think this is true, and it's not a problem. Kids should know that in a
previous life, their fathers were cave men, and might react in "interesting"
ways. Not violent toward the kids, but interesting.

I think my son learned well. Three years ago, we were at a boat launch in
the Adirondacks. The boat was out of the water, I was securing things, and
he was mindlessly staring at the sky or some chick in a bikini, when I saw
two pit bulls running toward him. The gun was out of the holster instantly,
I yelled to the owner to stop the dogs, and he did. If those dogs had come
within 20 feet of my son, they would've been dropped, followed closely by
their owner sucking on the barrel until the police arrived. My son flipped
out at the idea that I was ready to kill the dogs. But, as I explained,
there was no other possible option, other than wait and see if they were
vicious. It took him a couple of days to see the logic, but he finally did.

Doug Kanter

"Skipper" wrote in message
Harry Krause wrote:

[...]

Why do you think he'd be jailed? Because he used a shotgun? Or, some other
reason?