Dan Krueger

Default Better *Defensive* Handgun

Skipper wrote:

Dan Krueger wrote:

None of us *expect* to be put into life threatening situations by
intruders to our homes...but it does happen. Perhaps the best time to
think about your best course of action should that happen is *before*
the perp enters your home.

Again, no one expects to be placed in a position to protect your life
and property with a gun, but it does happen, and it's best to be
properly prepared.

First - How much time do you think you have to react when someone
threatens you? A laser sight is not going to make a difference.

Adieu!

--
Skipper

It's late, Dave. Even in Derby. Go take your meds and try a sane post
in the morning. Let the wife out and give the dog a goodnight kiss.
Bill McKee

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Skipper wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:

Have you tried the .500 S&W? I haven't, but I think it would be the
perfect "defensive handgun" for all the wheel gun fans.

Recoil alone takes it out of the "perfect" category for defense.
Unintended peripheral damage is also far more likely with that canon.

--
Skipper

Whoosh.

--
If you voted for Bush, you are to blame.

No whoosh. It is too powerful for a home defense weapon. You want a round
that will stop a human, and not blow a car engine apart. You want to kill
the next door neighbor, plus the person walking down street a block away?
Plus you want a weapon that is able to be fired more than once every 10
seconds. the 500 / 454 would be sor far up in the air from recoil, that you
are going to waste a lot of time reaiming.

Bill McKee

Best advice I ever heard on home invasions. As the former police chief of
Paducah, Ky. advocated. If you hear someone in the house, get behind your
bed with the light on. Bench rest your weapon on the bed, and also call
911. The bad guy can see you with a gun pointed his way as he goes to enter
the room. 999 time out of a 1000 he will turn and flee. If he steps into
the room shoot him. Twice. Keep the gun aimed at the bad person, as they
lay on the floor. Do not go over to him, or go to let in the police. They
will get in. And there is no danger from the bad guy getting you as you get
near them. And do not feel bad about the bad guy. He is a bad guy, and
even had the chance to turn and run.

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
k.net...
Skipper wrote:
Dan Krueger wrote:

The laser sight can save your life in life threatening situation. It
allows you to protect vital body parts while delivering a fatal blow.
Iron sights do not.

What in the hell are you trying to say? Read what you posted again.

None of us *expect* to be put into life threatening situations by
intruders to our homes...but it does happen. Perhaps the best time to
think about your best course of action should that happen is *before*
the perp enters your home. First, the laser is a great persuader that
has the potential of defusing the situation without firing a shot. That
really is the best resolution. Second, the laser dot allows you to take
aim from many body positions, while iron sights require the shooter to
expose his head while taking aim. Third, the cost of adding laser sights
to a defensive weapon in minuscule when measured against you life. One
can think of laser sights as being cheap life insurance and an
investment in avoiding legal fees.

The laser sights give new meaning to the term, shooting from the hip.
Accurate results can result from that position...laser assisted. Again,
no one expects to be placed in a position to protect your life and
property with a gun, but it does happen, and it's best to be properly
prepared.

--
Skipper

First - How much time do you think you have to react when someone
threatens you? A laser sight is not going to make a difference.

Second (following your post) - This is insane. You think you have time to
select a particular spot on your target (the intruder)? How does a laser
sight keep you from exposing your head while taking aim? You can buy a
laser pointer if you really think this stunt will be effective.

Third - Sure they are cheap. They are also great for the firing range.
How can they save you legal fees??? BTW - Life insurance is paid when you
die so laser sights, in your scenario, only facilitate the pay out of life
insurance.

Do you really own a gun? Have you considered what a real encounter with
an intruder would be like?

Again, too many movies, Dave...

Dan

Bill McKee

"Skipper" wrote in message
"Wayne.B" wrote:

Skipper wrote:

Stop me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the laser sight give up your own
position also?

The laser sight can save your life in life threatening situation. It
allows you to protect vital body parts while delivering a fatal blow.
Iron sights do not.

Perhaps, but that was not my question.

When you place that dancing red dot on the perp's chest, I'd hope your
voice gives your position away. Do you intend to shoot *before*
commanding the intruder to freeze? Lawyers will have a field day with
that one. Bottom line, laser sights are a good investment for home
defense.

Oh, and BTW, invoking the laser dot is optional with the C/T grips. It
does not have to be displayed until trigger pull.

--
Skipper

And who is going to testify you did not warn the person first. Do not talk
to the bad guy. Just make sure he sees the weapon pointing their way. He
has a chance to break and run. You do not have to worry about cleaning up
the mess. And if you have ever seen anybody shot a couple of times, you
will know there is a mess. And not talking puts the psychological battle to
your side. When I was 17, I witnessed a murder where guy was hit 5 times
with a 45. Big mess.

JIMinFL

Skipper, you guys have only spoken of hand guns for defensive purposes. Are
shotguns not suited to the purpose? Could you give me some pro's and cons
for each type of weapon? Can/could/should a shotgun be fitted with a laser
beam? I'm thinking you could shine the laser in his eyes to blind him long
enough for you to flip the lights on and identify him before you decide to
puree his vital organs. Let me know what you think.
JIMinFL

"Skipper" wrote in message
Dan Krueger wrote:

[...]

JimH

"JIMinFL" wrote in message
k.net...
Skipper, you guys have only spoken of hand guns for defensive purposes.
Are
shotguns not suited to the purpose? Could you give me some pro's and cons
for each type of weapon? Can/could/should a shotgun be fitted with a laser
beam? I'm thinking you could shine the laser in his eyes to blind him long
enough for you to flip the lights on and identify him before you decide to
puree his vital organs. Let me know what you think.
JIMinFL

The "ka-chuck" sound of loading a shell into the chamber of a pump action
shotgun is a sure way to let any intruder know you mean business without
firing a shot.

Here is an interesting article explaining why the shotgun is perhaps the
best weapon for home defense:

http://www.angelfire.com/art/enchanter/Home.html

Bert Robbins

Just like his buddy Carl Rowen, the now deceased pundit, that was vocally
anti-gun. But, when those kids came around late in the evening to swim in
his pool the first thing he did was to pull out his illegally owned gun and
started to shoot rather than call the police.

Harry is no different in that he belives that the rules and laws do not
apply to him.

"Lord Reginald Smithers" Ask me about my driveway leading up to my manor.
wrote in message ...
LOL, this is so funny watching Harry being a supporter of using handguns
for self defense.

Bill McKee wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Skipper wrote:
Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

Skipper wrote:
So, which is the better *defensive* handgun, a S&W .357 mag fitted
with
laser grips or a Glock auto?
.357 mag revolver or a .44 mag revolver.
Simple, effective and never break down.
"I know what you're thinkin', punk. You're thinkin', did he fire six
shots or only five? And to tell you the truth, I forgot myself in all
this excitement. But bein' this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful
handgun in the world, and it'll blow your head clean off, you could
ask
yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

- Harry Callahan

--
Skipper

Great line, great delivery, but inaccurate. The .454 Casull, for one.
was and is "more powerful."

--
Bush deserves a fair trial!

The .454 was not built at the time of the movie. I hae watched .454
casull being fired, and decided I did not want to abuse myself that
much.

Have you tried the .500 S&W? I haven't, but I think it would be the
perfect "defensive handgun" for all the wheel gun fans.

--
Clinton ruined a dress; Bush ruined a nation.

Bert Robbins

Skipper wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:

Have you tried the .500 S&W? I haven't, but I think it would be the
perfect "defensive handgun" for all the wheel gun fans.
Recoil alone takes it out of the "perfect" category for defense.
Unintended peripheral damage is also far more likely with that canon.

--
Skipper

Whoosh.

--
If you voted for Bush, you are to blame.

No whoosh. It is too powerful for a home defense weapon. You want a
round that will stop a human, and not blow a car engine apart. You want
to kill the next door neighbor, plus the person walking down street a
block away? Plus you want a weapon that is able to be fired more than
once every 10 seconds. the 500 / 454 would be sor far up in the air from
recoil, that you are going to waste a lot of time reaiming.

I was being facetious. It's a cannon. That's why the "whoosh."

Nice try at a recovery but, it didn't work.

JimH

Skipper wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:

[...]

Sure it did. The problem is, I keep forgetting how utterly stupid some of
you righties are.

Are you filling in for Kevin this weekend Harry?