Skipper

Default Better *Defensive* Handgun

Doug Kanter wrote:

So, which is the better *defensive* handgun, a S&W .357 mag fitted with
laser grips or a Glock auto?

How long is the barrel on your gun?

Three inch barrel.

--
Skipper
Doug Kanter

"Skipper" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

So, which is the better *defensive* handgun, a S&W .357 mag fitted with
laser grips or a Glock auto?

How long is the barrel on your gun?

Three inch barrel.

--
Skipper

..357 magnum rounds do not achieve proper velocity with less than a 6 inch
barrel. The result is that hollow points will not expand properly, per
manufacturers' tests. This is why police departments abandoned them many
years ago. Hollow points were behaving like ball ammo and passing right
through perps, doing no more damage than smaller rounds. Perps were still
able to leave, or act nasty.

Doug Kanter

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Skipper wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:

I've fitted Crimson Trace Laser grips to my S/W .357 magnum on the
theory that once the perp realizes there is a bright red dot moving
about the middle of his chest a motivation change will result. Thus, no
need to pull the trigger...the ultimate *defensive* weapon.

When did you get a pardon? Ex-felons aren't usually allowed ownership of
handguns. Even wheel guns.

So, which is the better *defensive* handgun, a S&W .357 mag fitted with
laser grips or a Glock auto?

--
Skipper

I'd take a Glock 34 any day over that wheelgun. Fully legal mag on the
Glock holds 17 rounds, standard barrel is 5" long, and if you need them,
lasergrips are available. Oh, and my guess is the semi-auto mechanism is
inherently more accurate than the wheelgun's.

You have a single or double action wheelgun? If double, you keep a chamber
empty for safety's sake? If so, that means the G34 mag holds more than
three times the number of rounds.

You've got it backwards. Single action guns are more likely to be a problem
with the hammer closed on a loaded chamber. And, unless his gun is ancient,
it has a transfer bar.

NOYB

"Skipper" wrote in message
Harry Krause wrote:

I've fitted Crimson Trace Laser grips to my S/W .357 magnum on the
theory that once the perp realizes there is a bright red dot moving
about the middle of his chest a motivation change will result. Thus, no
need to pull the trigger...the ultimate *defensive* weapon.

When did you get a pardon? Ex-felons aren't usually allowed ownership of
handguns. Even wheel guns.

So, which is the better *defensive* handgun, a S&W .357 mag fitted with
laser grips or a Glock auto?

I'd take the Glock 18C.

33 rounds in a second a half.

Skipper wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:

[...]

The single-action Ruger wheelgun I sometimes shoot has a transfer bar. In
fact, I believe all Ruger single-actions these days have transfer bars.

The new Ruger single action guns have the transfer bar. And, the instruction
manuals for new Ruger products all contain a outer cover which says that if
you return certain older guns to them, they'll install a modification at no
charge to the gun passes the Massachusetts "drop test". They cover all costs
except shipping the gun to them.

Skipper

Harry Krause wrote:

So, which is the better *defensive* handgun, a S&W .357 mag fitted with
laser grips or a Glock auto?

I'd take a Glock 34 any day over that wheelgun. Fully legal mag on the
Glock holds 17 rounds, standard barrel is 5" long, and if you need them,
lasergrips are available. Oh, and my guess is the semi-auto mechanism is
inherently more accurate than the wheelgun's.

You have a single or double action wheelgun? If double, you keep a
chamber empty for safety's sake? If so, that means the G34 mag holds
more than three times the number of rounds.

Any auto is inherently dangerous for the occasional user *particularly*
in a stressful situation. The double action is much safer. Further, the
persuasive nature of the laser cannot be underestimated to defuse the
situation. The better *defensive* weapon is the S&W.

--
Skipper
Skipper

NOYB wrote:

So, which is the better *defensive* handgun, a S&W .357 mag fitted with
laser grips or a Glock auto?

I'd take the Glock 18C.

33 rounds in a second a half.

Is your goal to kill or defuse the defensive situation?

--
Skipper
Skipper

Doug Kanter wrote:

So, which is the better *defensive* handgun, a S&W .357 mag fitted with
laser grips or a Glock auto?

How long is the barrel on your gun?

Three inch barrel.

.357 magnum rounds do not achieve proper velocity with less than a 6 inch
barrel. The result is that hollow points will not expand properly, per
manufacturers' tests. This is why police departments abandoned them many
years ago. Hollow points were behaving like ball ammo and passing right
through perps, doing no more damage than smaller rounds. Perps were still
able to leave, or act nasty.

Do you know if those conclusions would be true if .38 specials were
chambered?

--
Skipper
Don White

Default Eyewitness: "I Never Heard the Word 'Bomb'"

Don White wrote:

Might be better to take your angle cutter pliers and cut the plug off.

ooops......... meant *diagonal cutters*
Skipper

Harry Krause wrote:

Any auto is inherently dangerous for the occasional user *particularly*
in a stressful situation. The double action is much safer. Further, the
persuasive nature of the laser cannot be underestimated to defuse the
situation. The better *defensive* weapon is the S&W.

Please, Snipper. Stop with the absurdities.

Believe your ignorance is showing, Krause.

--
Skipper