Skipper

Default Better *Defensive* Handgun

NOYB wrote:

"I know what you're thinkin', punk. You're thinkin', did he fire six
shots or only five? And to tell you the truth, I forgot myself in all
this excitement. But bein' this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful
handgun in the world, and it'll blow your head clean off, you could ask
yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

- Harry Callahan

Great line, great delivery, but inaccurate. The .454 Casull, for one. was
and is "more powerful."

Nope. Model 500 Smith and Wesson:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun...ster_1103A.jpg

Nope. There are many pistols that fire high powered rifle ammo. T/C
makes the Contender as an example. All impractical for defense. The S&W
Model 500 came up in this thread because Krause was trying to appear
knowledgeable and did a quick internet search.

--
Skipper
Skipper

NOYB wrote:

Nope what?
Try reading for content.

Sorry. Thought you said "most powerful".

Det. Callahan could have made his statement factually correct by saying:

"But bein' this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful *production* handgun in
the world..."

Nope. The T/C Contender has barrels chambered for more powerful
cartridges than the .44 Mag. Been in production since the 60's.

--
Skipper
Lord Reginald Smithers

LOL, this is so funny watching Harry being a supporter of using handguns
for self defense.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Skipper wrote:
Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

Skipper wrote:
So, which is the better *defensive* handgun, a S&W .357 mag fitted
with
laser grips or a Glock auto?
.357 mag revolver or a .44 mag revolver.
Simple, effective and never break down.
"I know what you're thinkin', punk. You're thinkin', did he fire six
shots or only five? And to tell you the truth, I forgot myself in all
this excitement. But bein' this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful
handgun in the world, and it'll blow your head clean off, you could ask
yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

- Harry Callahan

--
Skipper

Great line, great delivery, but inaccurate. The .454 Casull, for one.
was and is "more powerful."

--
Bush deserves a fair trial!

The .454 was not built at the time of the movie. I hae watched .454
casull being fired, and decided I did not want to abuse myself that much.

Have you tried the .500 S&W? I haven't, but I think it would be the
perfect "defensive handgun" for all the wheel gun fans.

--
Clinton ruined a dress; Bush ruined a nation.

Skipper

"Wayne.B" wrote:

Skipper wrote:

Incorrect, the dot can be seen.

Stop me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the laser sight give up your own
position also?

The laser sight can save your life in life threatening situation. It
allows you to protect vital body parts while delivering a fatal blow.
Iron sights do not.

--
Skipper
Skipper

Harry Krause wrote:

Have you tried the .500 S&W? I haven't, but I think it would be the
perfect "defensive handgun" for all the wheel gun fans.

Recoil alone takes it out of the "perfect" category for defense.
Unintended peripheral damage is also far more likely with that canon.

--
Skipper

Dan Krueger

Skipper wrote:

So, which is the better *defensive* handgun, a S&W .357 mag fitted
with
laser grips or a Glock auto?

.357 mag revolver or a .44 mag revolver.
Simple, effective and never break down.

"I know what you're thinkin', punk. You're thinkin', did he fire six
shots or only five? And to tell you the truth, I forgot myself in all
this excitement. But bein' this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful
handgun in the world, and it'll blow your head clean off, you could ask
yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

- Harry Callahan

--
Skipper

Great line, great delivery, but inaccurate. The .454 Casull, for one.
was and is "more powerful."

Not sure, but I don't think that load existed at the time the movie
was made.

Dick Casull developed the .454 Casull in 1957 and announced it in 1959
in Guns and Ammo magazine. If I'm on your "holiday shopping list," I'd
like a 454 wheelgun from Freedom Arms.

Can you afford to shoot it? What is it now, $3.50 per shot?
Skipper

Harry Krause wrote:

Have you tried the .500 S&W? I haven't, but I think it would be the
perfect "defensive handgun" for all the wheel gun fans.

The HK canard appears to be Harry's best defensive weapon.

--
Skipper
Dan Krueger

Don White wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
snip...

As stated I had problems with the 1911 so I wanted to qualify with my
.357 or .44. Range Officer and Armorer were not in the mood and
insisted that I use standard military issue. I didn't argue because I
knew something they didn't. I barely qualified after six attempts.

About a week later they were notified that they were up for the class
- MY class. :) All of a sudden - "Hey Sarge, I've given that some
thought - want to retry with the revolver?"

Nah - I qualified - that's good enough.
Heh, heh, heh... :)

Didn't make them eat bugs...did you?

Got anything to add, Don? Know anything about guns (or boats)? Own a
gun (or a boat)? Go away.
Dan Krueger

Skipper wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote:

Skipper wrote:

Incorrect, the dot can be seen.

Stop me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the laser sight give up your own
position also?

The laser sight can save your life in life threatening situation. It
allows you to protect vital body parts while delivering a fatal blow.
Iron sights do not.

--
Skipper

What in the hell are you trying to say? Read what you posted again.

Dan
Dan Krueger

Skipper wrote:

Dan Krueger wrote:

Laser sights are worthless in the daytime. They are also worthless for
a gun purchased for personal or home protection.

Read...and learn:

http://www.crimsontrace.com/5things.pdf

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/crimson_trace.htm

http://www.uws.com/LASERGRIPS/HomePage.html

http://hunting.about.com/library/wee...lasergrips.htm

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...1/ai_n14936942

Laser sights project a tiny dot on the target. Unlike the movies, there
is no fog or smoke to project a beam. It's a dot and the target would
have to see it. By that time you're dead unless you are confronting an
unarmed assailant or someone with a butcher knife who is 100 feet away.

Incorrect, the dot can be seen.

--
Skipper

Sure, if the guy is looking at his shirt instead of you. How do they
help for home protection? Do you think a confrontation like that last
for more than 10 seconds? You have been watching too many moves, Dave.

Dan