Skipper

Default Better *Defensive* Handgun

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

Skipper wrote:

So, which is the better *defensive* handgun, a S&W .357 mag fitted with
laser grips or a Glock auto?

.357 mag revolver or a .44 mag revolver.

Simple, effective and never break down.

"I know what you're thinkin', punk. You're thinkin', did he fire six
shots or only five? And to tell you the truth, I forgot myself in all
this excitement. But bein' this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful
handgun in the world, and it'll blow your head clean off, you could ask
yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

- Harry Callahan

--
Skipper
Skipper

Dan Krueger wrote:

Laser sights are worthless in the daytime. They are also worthless for
a gun purchased for personal or home protection.

Read...and learn:

http://www.crimsontrace.com/5things.pdf

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/crimson_trace.htm

http://www.uws.com/LASERGRIPS/HomePage.html

http://hunting.about.com/library/wee...lasergrips.htm

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...1/ai_n14936942

Laser sights project a tiny dot on the target. Unlike the movies, there
is no fog or smoke to project a beam. It's a dot and the target would
have to see it. By that time you're dead unless you are confronting an
unarmed assailant or someone with a butcher knife who is 100 feet away.

Incorrect, the dot can be seen.

--
Skipper
Skipper

Doug Kanter wrote:

Far more likely to fire an unintended round while aimed at the perp.
Both guns can kill, the double action is the safer gun in the hands of a
nervous owner...for obvious reasons. There must be the threat of bodily
harm *before* pulling the trigger.

Think about what you just said. "Far more likely to fire an unintended
round..."

Yes, the double action requires a determined trigger pull, while many
autos have hair triggers.

If you have a 6 shot revolver with 6 rounds loaded, it is ready to fire if
you pull the trigger. Unless it's one of the newer ones with a built-in key
lock, there is no safety. YOU are the safety.

Both my double action .38 Special and .357 S&Ws have a thumb safety.
Even my single action .44 Ruger has safety indents *between* the
chambered cartridges.

--
Skipper
Bill McKee

Default Eyewitness: "I Never Heard the Word 'Bomb'"

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
John H. wrote:
On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 09:26:50 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Don White wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:
Bert Robbins wrote:

"Jim Carter" wrote in message

"Bert Robbins" wrote in message
. ..

It means they were properly trained to handle and use firearms.

One shot, one kill.
I had heard on the news today that there were many shots fired.
Does that
mean that several people were killed that we don't know about?
It means that when you fire your weapon you hit what you are
aiming at.

If six guys aimed at the same person then that person should have
six bullets in him.

Something you learned from your years of weekend warrior combat
experience guarding the loo, Bertie?

Bert would have lobbed half a dozen artillery shells at the
hapless victim...from a safe distance of course.

I have a feeling Bert would need a half dozen boxes of ammo to hit
the side of a barn. Accuracy with firearms requires regular
practice. I go to one of three ranges at least once a month,
year-around. Most of the cops I see at the ranges are there about
every other week. I've asked them about that. It's fun to shoot with
cops, because they sometimes have "unusual" guns with them, and
they'll let you pop off a few rounds if they recognize you and you
ask.
LOL!

What a joke!

--

You planning to meet me at the Gilbert range near you, to show off
your military prowess with a handgun, Herring?

I also go out to the Blue Ridge facility in Chantilly. I've not seen
you there, either. Or at the MSAR.

I suspect what you shoot off these days is...your mouth.

This, by a person who is anti-handgun?

I'm not anti-handgun.
I'm anti-any-idiot-who-can-breathe-being-able-to-buy-one.
I used to be totally against private ownership of handguns, but
unlike your president, I am capable of learning and have modified my
views over the years. I am still, however, opposed to private citizens
owning fully auto handguns or rifles.
I prefer shotguns for home defense.
I've shot firearms for fun most of my life, mostly shotguns.

So gun nut lefties are OK.

Nobody remembers the Weathermen?

Actually we had a slew of those groups at the time. Besides the Weathermen
and the SLA.

Bill McKee

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 21:20:51 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Dan Krueger wrote:

I'd take a Glock 34 any day over that wheelgun. Fully legal mag on the
Glock holds 17 rounds, standard barrel is 5" long, and if you need
them,
lasergrips are available. Oh, and my guess is the semi-auto mechanism
is
inherently more accurate than the wheelgun's.

You have a single or double action wheelgun? If double, you keep a
chamber empty for safety's sake? If so, that means the G34 mag holds
more than three times the number of rounds.

How is that 17 round magazine legal? Pre-ban?

Nope. Perfectly legal in Maryland.

I'm not sure how you can say the semi-auto is "inherently" more accurate
than a revolver. A barrel is a barrel. The same bullets pass through
them.

How they get to the barrel matters.

True. However, I much prefer revolvers because they are simpler,
easier to reload (quicker actually) and easier to handle.

Their major disadvantage is number of rounds, but accuracy more than
makes up for it.

Revolvers are inherently more accurate due to construction. The barrel is
fixed. The older 1911 mdl colt 45 auto, suffered accuracy as the barrel
floated in the slide. It could move with the force of the propellant
expanding. They fixed this by adding a collet at the front of the barrel.
When the slide went forward, it locked the barrel in position. Is the Gold
Cup model.

Bill McKee

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
nk.net...
Skipper wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

Any auto is inherently dangerous for the occasional user *particularly*
in a stressful situation. The double action is much safer. Further, the
persuasive nature of the laser cannot be underestimated to defuse the
situation. The better *defensive* weapon is the S&W.

Why do you think an auto is more dangerous?

Far more likely to fire an unintended round while aimed at the perp.
Both guns can kill, the double action is the safer gun in the hands of a
nervous owner...for obvious reasons. There must be the threat of bodily
harm *before* pulling the trigger.

--
Skipper

You probably meant to say "Double action only" and they are safer but too
slow for home defense. How much time do you think you have to react to a
threat? If you have enough time, you avoid it and call the cops.

Dan

Single action would not be the greatest for home protection. May be safer.
Single action means you have to cock the gun, pull back the hammer for each
shot. A double action can be cocked like a single action, or pulling the
trigger also cocks the gun first. Cocking a revolver, also indexes the
cylinder to have the next chamber under the hammer. The single action would
be safer, as a kid would have to cock the gun first, instead of just pulling
the trigger to fire a round.

Bill McKee

"Skipper" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

A double action revolver can also have a "hair trigger" Same as a single
action. The double if you are also using the trigger to cock the pistol,
does require more effort, but once the hammer is cocked, any gun can be set
up with a "hair trigger" And most autos don't have hair triggers as well as
revolvers. Just file the trigger sear a little and you can make it that
way, but most people don't.

Skipper

Bill McKee wrote:

Yes, the double action requires a determined trigger pull, while many
autos have hair triggers.

A double action revolver can also have a "hair trigger" Same as a single
action. The double if you are also using the trigger to cock the pistol,
does require more effort, but once the hammer is cocked, any gun can be set
up with a "hair trigger" And most autos don't have hair triggers as well as
revolvers. Just file the trigger sear a little and you can make it that
way, but most people don't.

"Fill your hands you son of a b****".

- Rooster Cogburn

--
Skipper
Skipper

Harry Krause wrote:

A wheel gun isn't necessarily simpler than a modern semi-auto. When you
take the grip off a wheel gun, you see all sorts of pieces and parts to
operate the trigger and hammer, usually. And I would contend that a
semi is easier and faster to reload. With my thumb, I can push a button,
drop out an empty mag, and then slam in a full mag and rack the slide
faster than you can get six rounds into the average wheel gun.

Apparently, Krause has not even heard of speed loaders for revolvers.
But are they even needed in most defensive situations? Also noteworthy
that he had no retort to the key points being made he
http://www.crimsontrace.com/5things.pdf

--
Skipper
Skipper

Harry Krause wrote:

I've shot a couple of Browning HP's. They are fine pistols. But if I
were going to buy a handgun for defense, the first one on my list would
be a Glock in 9 mm, full frame. They are sturdy, elegantly simple,
reliable and accurate. They're not a race gun, but they're ideal for
their purpose.

Apparently Krause missed the following statement in that second URL I
sent him:

A SWAT Team Captain and Instructor writes:

"I teach basic to advanced building search classes and SWAT tactics. I
have been using the Crimson Trace laser on my Glock 17 for almost five
years now. [We will forgive the captain for his poor taste in guns for
now...] I use my weapon each time I instruct to demonstrate the use of
white light as well as the tactical advantage a laser sight has in a
CQB/building search environment."

--
Skipper