Bert Robbins

Default Better *Defensive* Handgun

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
nk.net...
Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 21:20:51 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Dan Krueger wrote:

I'd take a Glock 34 any day over that wheelgun. Fully legal mag on the
Glock holds 17 rounds, standard barrel is 5" long, and if you need
them, lasergrips are available. Oh, and my guess is the semi-auto
mechanism is inherently more accurate than the wheelgun's.

You have a single or double action wheelgun? If double, you keep a
chamber empty for safety's sake? If so, that means the G34 mag holds
more than three times the number of rounds.

How is that 17 round magazine legal? Pre-ban?

Nope. Perfectly legal in Maryland.

I'm not sure how you can say the semi-auto is "inherently" more accurate
than a revolver. A barrel is a barrel. The same bullets pass through
them.

How they get to the barrel matters.

True. However, I much prefer revolvers because they are simpler,
easier to reload (quicker actually) and easier to handle.

Their major disadvantage is number of rounds, but accuracy more than
makes up for it.

I own more than a few guns and I use them for sport. I do keep one or two
around for self defense but that's another thread.

I have revolvers and semi-auto's. How do you figure that the revolvers
are more accurate? Trigger pull is similar as are the lengths of the
barrels. What am I missing?

It's the Indian not the Arrow.

Doug Kanter

"Lord Reginald Smithers" Ask me about my driveway leading up to my manor.
wrote in message ...
Bill,
Do they still make single action. I thought the invention of the double
action saw the end of the single action.

Yes. They're still very popular, mostly with people who are involved with
cowboy shooting tournaments. Hunters, too. Ruger has models that are
(mechanically) capable of handling ammo that's enormously powerful compared
to what you'd normally use for defense.

Here's an example:
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...l=804&return=Y

Doug Kanter

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

I'll email you the name of my FFL fella.

Why?

In case you find me on your holiday gift list for that Freedom Arms .454
Casull.

Wait until I find out the damage after ordering drapes for the living room
this afternoon, and buying my son's Christmas gift - a rather pricey guitar
effects thing. Nice to see he's growing up right, as a living of example of
"The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys".

John H.

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 10:48:36 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

wrote:

Dan Krueger wrote:

[...]

Call it an old man's preference. Bill pretty much explained it,
revolvers have a fixed barrel where the old semi-autos didn't. Back
in the day, I couldn't hit the side of a barn with the venerable .45
Navy 1911. In fact, I had a hard time qualifying with it. With a
revolver, I had no problem. I know other guys who had the same
problem.

I've found that most folks who don't shoot on a regular basis can
focus better on the end of an open barrel than along a rail like a
semi-auto has. Another issue in accuracy is the tendency for people
with high capacity mags tend to spray rather than aim - a revolver
forces you to aim - you just can't spray bullets all over the place.

As to reload, 8 out of 10 times, I can reload my .357 mag and .44 mag
faster than the top state cop who just happens to belong to my rod and
gun club. I won't even begin to tell you that I can shoot more
rounds than he can, but under pressure, I'm more accurate.

Later,

Tom

If the .45 you qualified with was similar to the one I used, the barrel probably wobbled a quarter
inch every time you shot.

--
John H

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Wishing you Peace, Fellowship, and Good Humor as we celebrate the birth of OUR Lord, Jesus Christ on the Christmas Holy Day.
John H.

wrote:

Dan Krueger wrote:
[...]

Accuracy is key with any gun, but...

A wheel gun isn't necessarily simpler than a modern semi-auto. When you
take the grip off a wheel gun, you see all sorts of pieces and parts to
operate the trigger and hammer, usually. And I would contend that a
semi is easier and faster to reload. With my thumb, I can push a button,
drop out an empty mag, and then slam in a full mag and rack the slide
faster than you can get six rounds into the average wheel gun.

"Easier to handle" is a perception thing, I think.

Who loaded the mag?

--
John H

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Wishing you Peace, Fellowship, and Good Humor as we celebrate the birth of OUR Lord, Jesus Christ on the Christmas Holy Day.

John H.

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 10:49:16 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 02:29:38 GMT, Dan Krueger
wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:

Dan Krueger wrote:

I'd take a Glock 34 any day over that wheelgun. Fully legal mag on
the Glock holds 17 rounds, standard barrel is 5" long, and if you
need them, lasergrips are available. Oh, and my guess is the
semi-auto mechanism is inherently more accurate than the wheelgun's.

You have a single or double action wheelgun? If double, you keep a
chamber empty for safety's sake? If so, that means the G34 mag holds
more than three times the number of rounds.

How is that 17 round magazine legal? Pre-ban?

Nope. Perfectly legal in Maryland.

I'm not sure how you can say the semi-auto is "inherently" more
accurate than a revolver. A barrel is a barrel. The same bullets
pass through them.

Dan

Dan

How they get to the barrel matters.

How does that affect the accuracy? They still all pass though a barrel.

I know how that can affect the reliability, but that tend to favor the
revolver.

Revolvers rule!! Semi-auto's drool!! :)

Amen. I've not seen anything here that would cause me to trade in my S&W Mod. 28 for a semi-auto
anything.

--
John H

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Wishing you Peace, Fellowship, and Good Humor as we celebrate the birth of OUR Lord, Jesus Christ on the Christmas Holy Day.
Lord Reginald Smithers

Harry,
You hit the wrong macro, you didn't mention anything that brought about your
conversion from an anti-gun crusader to a gun totting, tobacco chewing,
toothless good ole'boy with suffers from tiny penis syndrome.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Lord Reginald Smithers wrote:
Harry,
This is a great thread.

Trouble with reading comprehension?

Smithers Macro #3

Sometimes when I'm walking down our rural road to get my mail, I'll see
a mound of fresh animal crap in my path. I step over or around the crap,
but I don't step in it and I never stop to talk to it.

I see no reason to behave differently in rec.boats. Smithers is crap; I
step over him or around him, but I don't stop to talk to him. No reason
at all to step in a pile of Smitherscrap.

--
Military Intelligence: Another Faith-based Initiative

Skipper

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Lord Reginald Smithers" Ask me about my driveway leading up to my manor.
wrote...

Bill,
Do they still make single action. I thought the invention of the double
action saw the end of the single action.

Yes. They're still very popular, mostly with people who are involved with
cowboy shooting tournaments. Hunters, too. Ruger has models that are
(mechanically) capable of handling ammo that's enormously powerful compared
to what you'd normally use for defense.

Here's an example:
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...l=804&return=Y

The .45 caliber Ruger Old Army in SS is still my favorite handgun to
shoot.

--
Skipper
P. Fritz

This is getting too easy ;-)

"The narcissist expects that you will be devastated by the withdrawal of
her/his divine attention, so that after a while -- a few weeks or months
(i.e., the next time the narcissist needs to use you for something) -- the
narcissist will expect you to have learned your lesson and be eager to
return to the fold. If you have learned your lesson"

manor. wrote in message ...
[...]

286. John H.
Dec 10, 8:00 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.boats
From: John H. - Find messages by this author
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 09:00:15 -0500
Subject: Better *Defensive* Handgun
original | Report Abuse

wrote:

Dan Krueger wrote:

[...]

You mean, they're THAT tight???

Actually they are tight (sort of) before the slide releases