Richard J Kinch

Gene Kearns writes:

I post with directions to find my true email address, but when I use
my email address in the clear (so to speak) I get tons of SPAM.

It is very desirable to have one email address for life.

Once your address gets publicized, it is immediately propagated to every
spam list, and stays there.

Keeping your address secret doesn't work, and spoils a key benefit of
having email, which is to hear from new people.

Changing your email address frequently (more than once in a lifetime) is
likewise a worse problem. Having to update your correspondents (and having
to read their updates) is a huge waste, and proportional to N**2 of your
circle. It becomes a kind of spam in itself.

You have to think these things through. Think of what happens in the
extreme.
Wayne.B

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:13:53 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

It is very desirable to have one email address for life.

=================

Good concept but not practical in todays world. Better to have a
"private" EMAIL address known only to friends and business contacts,
and a "public" EMAIL where your address is exposed to the world. If
the public EMAIL gets too overburdened with SPAM, just throw it away
and start over with a new one. In actuality, the free web based EMAIL
services like HOTMAIL and GMAIL are doing a very good job with SPAM
blocking.

Richard J Kinch

Wayne.B writes:

Better to have a
"private" EMAIL address known only to friends and business contacts,
and a "public" EMAIL where your address is exposed to the world.

Why two? You still have to read them both.

And maybe you didn't follow my earlier explanation. Once your "private"
address leaks onto a spam list, it is on all of them, forever.
Tom Francis

wrote:

Once your address gets publicized, it is immediately propagated to every
spam list, and stays there.

Exactly.

Keeping your address secret doesn't work, and spoils a key benefit of
having email, which is to hear from new people.

To each their own. IF you mean business contacts, that sure as hell
isn't done by email. If you are talking about just random folks
dropping you messages, start a blog.

I keep mine separate and that's just the way it is.

To each their own. :)

Later,

Tom
John H

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:49:21 GMT, Dan Krueger
wrote:

It has nothing to do with "courage" and why are you using a Yahoo email
address yourself, Jim?

Mine is mildly altered. Anyone with a brain can figure it out. The
"spambots" hopefully can't. Not only did I get a crapload of spam
before, but I also picked up a virus of some sort that would send emails
from my address to people all over the world - most bounced back so I
knew they weren't from me but I was dealing with 60+ returned emails at
the time. No one needs to deal with that.

The bottom line is that this is a public newsgroup for discussion about
boats and boating and no one really needs to know anyone's real email
address anyway. Recently the remailer(s) is/are a pain in the ass since
they seem to be trolling or bashing and have nothing to add to the group.

Dan

I posted mine here for a while. My spam went way up. Also, I began receiving
emails from individuals in the group with whom I didn't care to communicate
privately.

If private communication is desired or desirable, there are ways.
--
John H

Wayne.B

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 02:18:30 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Why two? You still have to read them both.

And maybe you didn't follow my earlier explanation. Once your "private"
address leaks onto a spam list, it is on all of them, forever.

==========================

My point was that if you avoid posting your private EMAIL, it will
attract less SPAM, hopefully none. If your public EMAIL gets hammered
(and it will), just drop it and get a new one.

Yes, it's me

Wayne,
If you check your "public" email on a regular basis, why bother with two
emails. I use a Yahoo email, when I need to register for a web site, but
unless I might go months without checking the public email.

The issue of posting your email in NG's is to silly to even discuss. I
don't see anyone posting home addresses and telephone numbers, why an email
address?

wrote:

Why two? You still have to read them both.

And maybe you didn't follow my earlier explanation. Once your "private"
address leaks onto a spam list, it is on all of them, forever.

==========================

My point was that if you avoid posting your private EMAIL, it will
attract less SPAM, hopefully none. If your public EMAIL gets hammered
(and it will), just drop it and get a new one.

Wayne.B

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:35:36 -0400, "Yes, it's me"

don't see anyone posting home addresses and telephone numbers, why an email
address?

======================

People occasionally want to exchange information in a non-public forum
- such as addresses, phone numbers and private EMAIL info. I will do
that with people I know to be reasonable and with whom I have a common
interest.

I check my public EMAIL at least once a week, more often if I'm
expecting something. I've been using the same Hotmail address for
over a year and it has remained amazingly SPAM free, perhaps because
people assume it's a munged address, or possibly because of Hotmail's
strong filtering.

Ed H

Ok im a little confused as usual But can someone tell me where you change
your email address at when posting so it doesnt show your real email address
? Sorry in advance for a stupid question. Do you change it in the
google.com where I signed up to this list ?

Thanks
Ed

Hillary In 2008 gonefishiing ASA 57 November 9th 04 12:58 AM
WARNING -- "Britney Spears Topless all new" is a virus John H General 5 February 4th 04 05:23 AM
Britney Spears Topless all new John H General 0 February 3rd 04 01:51 PM
Britney Spears Topless 4738 DON'T OPEN!!!!!!!!!! terry Boat Building 0 January 30th 04 09:30 PM
OT - The mystery of Britney Spear's breasts Simple Simon ASA 2 December 28th 03 09:55 PM