Richard J Kinch

Shortwave Sportfishing writes:

One, I don't want a stranger to contact me - of what possible use
would that be?

That's your situation; Usenet was collegial for about the first 15 years,
and in academic subjects, etc, it was a great way to meet strangers with
similar interests.

Two, many of my old friends are still friends and those who do keep in
touch have my email address and have for years. So what's the point?

I suppose it depends on how wide your circle of friends is, and how long
you've been accumulating them, but in my case, I hear rather frequently
from old chums or casual associates who lost track (or never kept it) and
want to re-establish correspondence.

By the way, nice looking website you have.

Thank you.

http://www.truetex.com/
Shortwave Sportfishing

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 00:56:50 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing writes:

One, I don't want a stranger to contact me - of what possible use
would that be?

That's your situation; Usenet was collegial for about the first 15 years,
and in academic subjects, etc, it was a great way to meet strangers with
similar interests.

True enough, but let's not pretend it was all sweetness and light. I
remember some flame wars from the early '90s that could even curl the
hair of today's participants. :)

Later,

Tom
Shortwave Sportfishing

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 08:43:24 -0400, "Harry.Krause"
wrote:

That's because the posters were brighter back then.

That was a function of limited access in my opinion.

It's like amateur radio. Once the ARRL decided to loosen the
requirements and Dick Bash started publishing the test answers,
all of sudden we have repeater jammers, losers on 80 meters (the 3900
gang being a great example - they let the riff raff in with the loose
requirements and everything went straight to hell.

Later,

Tom
ME ME ME

SWS,
Harry has been cluttering this group with Bayliner Bashing, name calling,
trolling for flames, for the last 10 yrs. He might have been the first of
the riff raff let into rec.boats. ; )

wrote:

That's because the posters were brighter back then.

That was a function of limited access in my opinion.

It's like amateur radio. Once the ARRL decided to loosen the
requirements and Dick Bash started publishing the test answers,
all of sudden we have repeater jammers, losers on 80 meters (the 3900
gang being a great example - they let the riff raff in with the loose
requirements and everything went straight to hell.

Later,

Tom

Bert Robbins

wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing writes:

One, I don't want a stranger to contact me - of what possible use
would that be?

That's your situation; Usenet was collegial for about the first 15 years,
and in academic subjects, etc, it was a great way to meet strangers with
similar interests.

True enough, but let's not pretend it was all sweetness and light. I
remember some flame wars from the early '90s that could even curl the
hair of today's participants. :)

My favorite was the book heads all talking about how the Internet wasn't
commercial and shouldn't be commercial. I told this snobs that my company
was leasing a T1 link from a commercial company and we were getting our
Internet connectivity from a commercial company, UUnet, and that the
Internet was going commercial regardless of what they wanted.

Wayne.B

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:44:46 -0400, "ME ME ME"
wrote:
Harry has been cluttering this group with Bayliner Bashing, name calling,
trolling for flames, for the last 10 yrs. He might have been the first of
the riff raff let into rec.boats. ; )

:-(

And you feel some obligation to be the last ??

Lead by example and show some responsible adult behavior for a change.

Freddy

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Gene Kearns
wrote:

Snipped

While you might not agree with my tactics, I have no desire to play cat and
mouse with the half dozen idiots that have taken over and ruined this
group. I got where I am by not backing down from a fight. I don't turn the
other cheek.

They have declared war on rec.boats and I have simply returned their
declaration. The war is just beginning. I don't quit.

Hope they are proud of what they started.

The original sender is unknown. Any address shown in the From header
is unverified. You need a valid hashcash token to post to groups other
than alt.test and alt.anonymous.messages. Visit www.panta-rhei.dyndns.org
for abuse and hashcash info.

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 05:16:48 GMT, "Clams Canino"
wrote:

Do you mean the AM gang on 38.85 ???

-W

.. .
wrote:

That's because the posters were brighter back then.

That was a function of limited access in my opinion.

It's like amateur radio. Once the ARRL decided to loosen the
requirements and Dick Bash started publishing the test answers,
all of sudden we have repeater jammers, losers on 80 meters (the 3900
gang being a great example - they let the riff raff in with the loose
requirements and everything went straight to hell.

No - the nighttime gang on 3900. The guys who started the
"stormfront" web site?

Later,

Tom

Hillary In 2008 gonefishiing ASA 57 November 9th 04 12:58 AM
WARNING -- "Britney Spears Topless all new" is a virus John H General 5 February 4th 04 05:23 AM
Britney Spears Topless all new John H General 0 February 3rd 04 01:51 PM
Britney Spears Topless 4738 DON'T OPEN!!!!!!!!!! terry Boat Building 0 January 30th 04 09:30 PM
OT - The mystery of Britney Spear's breasts Simple Simon ASA 2 December 28th 03 09:55 PM