Yes, it's me

Where did all of these intellectual giants come from?

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Bert Robbins writes:

It seems that quite a few of us have learned that USENET is a great
place to farm valid e-mail addresses and we have decided to reduct the
number of spam in our mailboxes by providing bogus e-mail addreses.

Keeping email addresses secret is a stupid anti-spam tactic, treating it
like a semi-password. An email address only performs to the extent you
spread it around to potential non-spam correspondents. As you do that, it
eventually become publicized somewhere, and then you're sunk.

This was obvious decades ago when secret unlisted telephone numbers were
known to be a useless method of stopping nuisance calls.

If you think you'll just restrict your correspondents to those who won't
leak your email address, then you aren't using email per se. A key
concept
of email is that anyone can reach you with it.

If I can't publicize my email address and still control spam, then email
is
a waste of time. We'd be better off using something other than email.
The
very ideal of email is to publicize your address.

Jim,

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 03:27:56 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Bert Robbins writes:

[...]

Why control it? Don't put yourself in the position to receive any.
When I open my email box, nothing is there that shouldn't be there.

Since I stopped using a valid email address on Usenet, which was about
five years ago, I haven't had the excessive spam that most get. And
forget the *remove-me* type tactics - the spam bot crawlers on Usenet
are much more intelligent than they were in the past.

If somebody is interested in conversing with me privately off list, I
am more than willing to accommodate them with a valid email address.

Just publishing one for the world to see is meaningless. Besides,
it's on my website which is easily findable and accessible if you go
looking.

One more comment. Jim probably has more than one email address. It's
interesting that his email is a Yahoo address which is probably a mail
drop. His own personal, family or other email address is just as
private as mine is.

Can't prove that of course, but I'd still bet it's true. :)

Later,

Tom

I do have another email address I use for friends and family -- Yahoo is
for newsgroups, but I am still able to be contacted by those who wish to
respond privately to any of my postings. I have no need to hide behind
fake addresses or remailers.

Jim,

Yes, it's me wrote:
Jim,,,
You may have a yahoo address, but do you actually check your email?

Yes -- Yahoo separates into real and junk. I check the real and dump
the junk. I don't respond to those (and their have been a couple) who
write to call me names. I will respond to a serious question.

wrote:

[...]

John H

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 07:25:10 -0400, "harry.krause"
wrote:

Another friggin name change. You getting hard up for attention, Harry?
--
John H

Eisboch

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote in message

Since I stopped using a valid email address on Usenet, which was about
five years ago, I haven't had the excessive spam that most get. And
forget the *remove-me* type tactics - the spam bot crawlers on Usenet
are much more intelligent than they were in the past.

Same here. For many years I posted a valid email address on posts to this
newsgroup and saw the number and frequency of unwanted spam increase
dramatically in email. I finally (and reluctantly) began to spoof the email
address in the newsgroup setup and the number of spam email gradually
diminished to the point where now I rarely get anything I am not expecting.

The valid email address was back when this newsgroup was much more civil and
sane. Sure, there were the OT debates and Bayliner bashing, but all in all
the group was enjoyable to participate in and often contained some genuine
humor. It's sad to witness how rec.boats has deteriorated to what it is
today in a few short years.

Oh well. Off to visit the boats tomorrow, do some spring cleaning and stock
the refrigerators.

Eisboch

Dan Krueger

It has nothing to do with "courage" and why are you using a Yahoo email
address yourself, Jim?

Mine is mildly altered. Anyone with a brain can figure it out. The
"spambots" hopefully can't. Not only did I get a crapload of spam
before, but I also picked up a virus of some sort that would send emails
from my address to people all over the world - most bounced back so I
knew they weren't from me but I was dealing with 60+ returned emails at
the time. No one needs to deal with that.

The bottom line is that this is a public newsgroup for discussion about
boats and boating and no one really needs to know anyone's real email
address anyway. Recently the remailer(s) is/are a pain in the ass since
they seem to be trolling or bashing and have nothing to add to the group.

Dan

Jim, wrote:
Seems nobody but a few have the courage to reveal themselves

er

I'm sure there are more -- this is just going back maybe 30 messages..

Hey Guys -- Yahoo has great filters for spam -- no need to hide (unless
of course you're ashamed of your postings.

Jim,

Dan Krueger wrote:
It has nothing to do with "courage" and why are you using a Yahoo email
address yourself, Jim?

I use Yahoo because I have separate addresses for separate purposes. If
you write me at the above address, and are reasonably polite, I will
respond. Yahoo filters the spam for me. You can tell a bit about the
mentality and attitude of some other posters by their address. I
suspect some are only in their early teens.

Hillary In 2008 gonefishiing ASA 57 November 9th 04 12:58 AM
WARNING -- "Britney Spears Topless all new" is a virus John H General 5 February 4th 04 05:23 AM
Britney Spears Topless all new John H General 0 February 3rd 04 01:51 PM
Britney Spears Topless 4738 DON'T OPEN!!!!!!!!!! terry Boat Building 0 January 30th 04 09:30 PM
OT - The mystery of Britney Spear's breasts Simple Simon ASA 2 December 28th 03 09:55 PM