Clams Canino

Default Friday Ethics Question

See? I saw it as karma already coming full circle..... LOL

"bb" wrote in message

Yes. Karma.

In your case, who the heck wants to be driving down with road with bad
trailer brake karma?

bb

Clams Canino

Or to put it another way........ if a company is niggardly paying minimum
wage to employees, they get what they pay for. I'm not the quality controll
dept at XXX parts vendor, I'm the QC at Clams Canino Marine and that's work
enough for me.

-W

"Clams Canino" wrote in message
I tend to assume that they will do thier job and find the error - OR -

karma
granted me a break for having the frustration of dealing with incorrect
parts.

I have enough trouble dealing with my own errors - I let others deal with
theirs.
But I NEVER misrepresent anything to "cause" an error.

-W

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

Friday Ethics Question:

I ordered parts worth over $1000 to make a trailer. When we went to pick
them up one of the parts, a brake actuator, worth about $135 was the one

we
ordered but not the right part for the job. The company agreed that

there
was no way for me to know this was the wrong part and agreed that they
should have know and advised us. They gave us a refund for the

incorrect
part and said they would ship - at their expense - the correct one.

Yesterday a package arrived with the replacement part and another item

we
had ordered. They paid the shipping, as they said they would, and they
charged us for the new item. But they did not charge us for the new
actuator.

So the basic question is: If a company sends you something and forgets

charge you, do you tell them? And even more telling, WHY?

Paul Schilter

Gary,
You should tell them! Because it's the right think to do. If you made
the mistake, wouldn't you want your customer to be honest?
Paul

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

Friday Ethics Question:

I ordered parts worth over $1000 to make a trailer. When we went to pick
them up one of the parts, a brake actuator, worth about $135 was the one

we
ordered but not the right part for the job. The company agreed that there
was no way for me to know this was the wrong part and agreed that they
should have know and advised us. They gave us a refund for the incorrect
part and said they would ship - at their expense - the correct one.

Yesterday a package arrived with the replacement part and another item we
had ordered. They paid the shipping, as they said they would, and they
charged us for the new item. But they did not charge us for the new
actuator.

So the basic question is: If a company sends you something and forgets to
charge you, do you tell them? And even more telling, WHY?

Paul Schilter

Gary,
I guess it comes down to what you see when you look in the mirror. Like
you say it's not a big think, but in the world of Karma things add up.
Maybe it comes down to are you for good or evil, what you contribute to the
overall Karma is it a positive or a negative? I guess it's just striving to
do the right thing and every little bit counts.
Paul

I just want to clear up a few points:

#1 - I discovered when reading the manual for the part that it
was the wrong one. They did not discover it for me.

#2 - I did not post this here looking for "advice" to help
me determin what to do. I know what I think. I was just
curious to see what some you all would say.

I agree that paying is the right thing. But it's the WHY that
I like to hear people say.

I'm not religious so anything like because I will be judged
by God or in the afterlife doesn't do it for me.

I do believe in something bigger like that all actions we
take effect the entire "cosmos" so even though this is a
very small thing - it will either contribute to making things
a little better or a little worse. ~ But even with this
the consequences are so small to everyone that this,
while a good reason, is not all that compelling.

Reasons like "because" or "it's the right thing
to do" are OK, but really don't say much.

My biggest reason seems to be somewhat selfish.
I know that I would always look at our beautiful
boat and trailer and have a little sting of regret
or embarrasment (and some other terms).

Lastly, I do believe a bit in Karma. I agree that
many people use that term almost as lightly as
"because". But if you think somewhat deeply
I do believe one can find real-life-physics
mechanisims that "Karma" can be a short-
hand for. I could type tens of pages explaining
my thoughts behind why "Karma" is real...but
not right now. Time for a beer and then dinner.

Have a good weekend you all.
Gary

bb

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:28:59 GMT, WaIIy
wrote:

"karma" is a contrived device for people who can't figure things out on
their own.

I'm still waiting for you to add anything of intellectual value to any
of the discussions on rec.boats. I'm a very, very patient person.
I'm not giving up hope that someday you will make me proud,
grasshopper.

bb

Harry Krause

wrote:

"karma" is a contrived device for people who can't figure things out on
their own.

I'm still waiting for you to add anything of intellectual value to any
of the discussions on rec.boats. I'm a very, very patient person.
I'm not giving up hope that someday you will make me proud,
grasshopper.

bb

You also must be waiting for hell to freeze over. Wally is one of the
dumbest clucks who posts here. He's a first cousin to Dave Hall, who
just yesterday claimed that psychiatry was never necessary, and that he
would be able to force his young daughter to behave in a way he found
acceptable.

Wally probably thinks karma is the candy coating sometimes applied to
apples on a stick.

--
Email sent to is never read.

bb

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:34:37 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

You also must be waiting for hell to freeze over.

Hey man, the Bucs won the Super Bowl. Lightning can strike twice, I
just know it.

bb
Gould 0738

Gary,
I guess it comes down to what you see when you look in the mirror. Like
you say it's not a big think, but in the world of Karma things add up.

When I was in the automobile business, we used to joke about "Carma, with a C".

Over the years, a spooky tendency became apparent. Some customers who came in
to buy cars had belligerent, antagonistic attitudes. They would scream about
getting "screwed" on a $20,000 transaction if they discovered somebody else had
paid $50 less. They would bitch and moan about the product's shortcomings
throughout the demonstration and negotiation. They would
make disparaging remarks about auto salespeople, the dealership, the
manufacturer, etc. In short, these people arrived in a miserable frame of mind
and were determined to make everyone else equally miserable if at all possible.

Then, there were the customers who treated people nicely, expected a fair and
favorable deal but knew how to negotiate without ascribing canine tendencies to
dear old Mom, and wouldn't come charging back in three days later yelling at
the salesman because the left rear tire had one pound too little air pressure.
These folks seemed to run on positive energy.

One of life's mysteries was how often it developed that when people hated their
cars, the cars would "hate them" back.
Maybe it was only because the antagonistic jerks made themselves so evident
when they had to bring their car in for repairs......but it did seem that the
miserable and unhappy people had far more problems with their vehicles after
purchase than the folks who acted decently and ultimately purchased something
they enjoyed.

We only half way joked that it was Carma, with a C.

Harry Krause

wrote:

You also must be waiting for hell to freeze over.

Hey man, the Bucs won the Super Bowl. Lightning can strike twice, I
just know it.

bb

One of these days I'll have to watch a pro football game again. I
suppose that'll be after I attend another NASCAR event. Corporate sports
just don't do it for me.

--
Email sent to is never read.

bb

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:00:48 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Corporate sports
just don't do it for me.

Can't say as I blame anyone for being turned off by pro sports. I've
been a Bucs fan for many years and enjoyed their run to the SB. But,
I watch when it's entertaining, and I don't watch when it isn't. I
keep in mind that it is just that, entertainment.

Although one of my favorite games of the year is this Sunday
(Bucs/Packers), I'm gonna try and go fishing instead if the weather is
good. I've had my new boat for a couple of months now and haven't
been able to use it but once.

bb