Gary Warner

Default Exhaust question on inboard 1958 Chris Craft

Ok, so after putting the engine back in and then having to do it
AGAIN because of a new motor mount that broke....Yesterday
we connected the exhaust pipe.

The pipe dips lower than the exit hole through the transom. This
means that engine-cooling-water is going to pool and always be
in that section of the pipe.

Question #1: It looke like and *may* be the case that
the entire 3.5" diameter of the pipe is below the exhaust
hole / end. That would mean the entire pipe would be
full of water at that point. Is that right? Will the exhaust
gases still be able to escape throug that water? Will it
be too much back pressuse? (I'm not sure if it was like
this before or not.)

Question #2: In winter the boat will be in our shop but
it will probably still freeze. The end of the pipe is open
so - - do we need to drain that water out or since the
pipe is open will it just expand as it needs to without
harming/bursting the exhaust pipe.

Note: The exhaust pipe is 3.5" diameter bronze.
There is a secion of reinforced rubber hose between the
exhaust pipe comming out of the engine and the tail pipe
going through the transom.

Gary

Steve

Doesn't sound like a good arrangement.. I have already identified the
potential problems.

Is there some reason that you can't use a water-lift chamber (muffler) to
get the engine end of the system higher than the waterline. Thus the pipe
would run down hill from the outlet of the waterlift.

A water-lift is suppose to have enough cubic volume to contain any and all
water that may remain and run back into the chamber. When the engine is
started the next time, there will be enough pressure to "lift" that
residual/run-back water up and out.

One potential problem with a water lift, is over cranking an engine. While
cranking the stubborn engine, the water pump will be filling the water-lift
to a point it may run back into the engine exhaust manifold.

BTW. I had a 59 Chris Craft with twin 289s. The exhaust system had no water
lift or a muffler.. The exhaust elbow was above the waterline (transom
discharge), however, like yours, the pipe was low near the engine and the
exhaust pressure pushed the residual water "up" the pipe to the transom
discharge. At normal draft, at rest, the transom exhaust was a couple inches
above the waterline. I had exhaust flapper the helped keep the pipe from
filling with water from any following sea or chop when the engines were
stopped.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

correction, the engines I had were chev. 283s, counter rotating (how the
accomplished that is another story).

Sorry for the error.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Gary Warner

Thanks Steve,

BTW. I had a 59 Chris Craft with twin 289s. The exhaust system had no

water
lift or a muffler.. The exhaust elbow was above the waterline (transom
discharge), however, like yours, the pipe was low near the engine and the
exhaust pressure pushed the residual water "up" the pipe to the transom
discharge. At normal draft, at rest, the transom exhaust was a couple

inches
above the waterline. I had exhaust flapper the helped keep the pipe from
filling with water from any following sea or chop when the engines were
stopped.

That is exactly my situation. The engine end IS higher than the water
line - but
the pipe it goes into is then lower. Will the exhaust pressure push that
water
"up" the pipe?

P.C. Ford

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:11:13 -0400, "Gary Warner"
wrote:

Thanks Steve,

BTW. I had a 59 Chris Craft with twin 289s. The exhaust system had no

water
lift or a muffler.. The exhaust elbow was above the waterline (transom
discharge), however, like yours, the pipe was low near the engine and the
exhaust pressure pushed the residual water "up" the pipe to the transom
discharge. At normal draft, at rest, the transom exhaust was a couple

inches
above the waterline. I had exhaust flapper the helped keep the pipe from
filling with water from any following sea or chop when the engines were
stopped.

That is exactly my situation. The engine end IS higher than the water
line - but
the pipe it goes into is then lower. Will the exhaust pressure push that
water
"up" the pipe?

Hi Gary,

Congratulations, you have no problem. Or if you do it ain't this one.
It's common for water to sit in exhaust; this is what happens when a
blast of water comes out of the exhaust upon starting. It is not at
all unusual for the exhaust pipe/hose to be lower than the waterline.
In fact, it's normal.

Gary Warner

Thanks Pat.

We haven't had her in the water yet, so I didn't know if it was right or
not.
I know you know these boats well....so that makes me feel much better.

"P.C. Ford" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:11:13 -0400, "Gary Warner"

Thanks Steve,