Gary Warner

Default Exhaust question on inboard 1958 Chris Craft

Ok, so after putting the engine back in and then having to do it
AGAIN because of a new motor mount that broke....Yesterday
we connected the exhaust pipe.

The pipe dips lower than the exit hole through the transom. This
means that engine-cooling-water is going to pool and always be
in that section of the pipe.

Question #1: It looke like and *may* be the case that
the entire 3.5" diameter of the pipe is below the exhaust
hole / end. That would mean the entire pipe would be
full of water at that point. Is that right? Will the exhaust
gases still be able to escape throug that water? Will it
be too much back pressuse? (I'm not sure if it was like
this before or not.)

Question #2: In winter the boat will be in our shop but
it will probably still freeze. The end of the pipe is open
so - - do we need to drain that water out or since the
pipe is open will it just expand as it needs to without
harming/bursting the exhaust pipe.

Note: The exhaust pipe is 3.5" diameter bronze.
There is a secion of reinforced rubber hose between the
exhaust pipe comming out of the engine and the tail pipe
going through the transom.

Gary