Gary Warner

Default Exhaust question on inboard 1958 Chris Craft

Thanks Pat.

We haven't had her in the water yet, so I didn't know if it was right or
not.
I know you know these boats well....so that makes me feel much better.

"P.C. Ford" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:11:13 -0400, "Gary Warner"
wrote:

Thanks Steve,

BTW. I had a 59 Chris Craft with twin 289s. The exhaust system had no

water
lift or a muffler.. The exhaust elbow was above the waterline (transom
discharge), however, like yours, the pipe was low near the engine and

the
exhaust pressure pushed the residual water "up" the pipe to the transom
discharge. At normal draft, at rest, the transom exhaust was a couple

inches
above the waterline. I had exhaust flapper the helped keep the pipe

from
filling with water from any following sea or chop when the engines were
stopped.

That is exactly my situation. The engine end IS higher than the water
line - but
the pipe it goes into is then lower. Will the exhaust pressure push that
water
"up" the pipe?

Hi Gary,

Congratulations, you have no problem. Or if you do it ain't this one.
It's common for water to sit in exhaust; this is what happens when a
blast of water comes out of the exhaust upon starting. It is not at
all unusual for the exhaust pipe/hose to be lower than the waterline.
In fact, it's normal.