Gould 0738

Default Friday Ethics Question

Gary,
I guess it comes down to what you see when you look in the mirror. Like
you say it's not a big think, but in the world of Karma things add up.

When I was in the automobile business, we used to joke about "Carma, with a C".

Over the years, a spooky tendency became apparent. Some customers who came in
to buy cars had belligerent, antagonistic attitudes. They would scream about
getting "screwed" on a $20,000 transaction if they discovered somebody else had
paid $50 less. They would bitch and moan about the product's shortcomings
throughout the demonstration and negotiation. They would
make disparaging remarks about auto salespeople, the dealership, the
manufacturer, etc. In short, these people arrived in a miserable frame of mind
and were determined to make everyone else equally miserable if at all possible.

Then, there were the customers who treated people nicely, expected a fair and
favorable deal but knew how to negotiate without ascribing canine tendencies to
dear old Mom, and wouldn't come charging back in three days later yelling at
the salesman because the left rear tire had one pound too little air pressure.
These folks seemed to run on positive energy.

One of life's mysteries was how often it developed that when people hated their
cars, the cars would "hate them" back.
Maybe it was only because the antagonistic jerks made themselves so evident
when they had to bring their car in for repairs......but it did seem that the
miserable and unhappy people had far more problems with their vehicles after
purchase than the folks who acted decently and ultimately purchased something
they enjoyed.

We only half way joked that it was Carma, with a C.